GPS Foil Mod - Cable Only?

N017RW, sure, you could use electric tape too. I don't think it would stick as well when covering long spans of the shell though.

If you have some great, but don't just buy it for a Phantom.

That's all.

I have a v3.0 that already has extra shielding, but I just added a flytrex core 2 which has an extension / splitter for the gps antenna. After installing the extension I did nothing to shield the extra wire that was added by the flytrex. Do you all think that I should do something to shield the extra wire? I just did a short test flight and seemed to get about the same amount of sats as I have before in my back yard.

N017RW, if cheap is your thing, then use packing tape. Most people have that laying around :)

richiewrt said:
After installing the extension I did nothing to shield the extra wire that was added by the flytrex.
In another thread, a few people said that cable was causing interference. I'd wrap it like done in this thread just to be safe.

msinger said:
N017RW, if cheap is your thing, then use packing tape. Most people have that laying around :)

That will work fine if applied properly.

The Phantom will never know the difference.

richiewrt said:
I have a v3.0 that already has extra shielding, but I just added a flytrex core 2 which has an extension / splitter for the gps antenna. After installing the extension I did nothing to shield the extra wire that was added by the flytrex. Do you all think that I should do something to shield the extra wire? I just did a short test flight and seemed to get about the same amount of sats as I have before in my back yard.

I asked that very question to the Flytrex support team,
before installing a Core 2 on mine, they (Flytrex) assured me that shielding of their extension cable was NOT necessary.

I did the foil mod, while I had the lid off and also put ferrite beads on the camera leads,
I am now, by my experimentation getting a quicker fix ( 1 to 2 minutes) on 8 or 9 sats,
whereas before I got 6 or 7 after about a 5 minute wait!

I ended up cracking the lid again and wrapping the pigtail with foil and electrical tape. Took me about 30 minutes total, but haven't been able to test yet, but will report back once I do.

wfxdrone said:
So I wrapped the cable in copper tape, and then electrical tape, all the way from plug to the board. Reinstalled the top cover and my satellite count in the park went from 5-7 to 6-9. In my garage it went from 1-3 to 2-6. Much simpler process, don't have to remove the factory shielding and no worries about the copper tape losing adhesion and coming in contact with other electronics.

I did the exact same (with the mod in the top of the shell as well) but when i record video i lose a lot of satellites. It seems to be the actual position of the cable more than anything, Any ideas?

Quick check...
Version 3 ....Copper Tape mod necessary? I'm also going to go with a bigger GPS antenna.
Thanks in advance!! New to the hobby!
:)
Bob

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20