Got the cops called on me this morning!

Reaction score
Got up early this morning to get a little bit of time over South Beach before the rains come, changing a battery and this guy comes up and says I couldn’t fly in public places ( how many of us has heard that before), I told that I could and offered to show him what I was doing, not happening! Told me he has video of me and the cops were on the way! I stayed and waited, cops came and asked me did I have a license and I showed it to them, they’re told me Happy Father’s Day and kept on going!

Got up early this morning to get a little bit of time over South Beach before the rains come, changing a battery and this guy comes up and says I couldn’t fly in public places ( how many of us has heard that before), I told that I could and offered to show him what I was doing, not happening! Told me he has video of me and the cops were on the way! I stayed and waited, cops came and asked me did I have a license and I showed it to them, they’re told me Happy Father’s Day and kept on going!
Sorry that happened but good for you. Now that "concerned citizen" who called stands corrected.

I was leaving a local park last year when a crazy lady jumped out in front of my car and started taking taking pictures. A week later the local PD is knocking on my door. Turns out the lady had a restraining order against her Ex-Husband and was certain I was hired by him to spy on her. He was very nice. Took some info from me and apologized for the intrusion.

Drone pilots are like misunderstood pit bulls. Everyone assumes we're all bad.

Sorry that happened but good for you. Now that "concerned citizen" who called stands corrected.

I was leaving a local park last year when a crazy lady jumped out in front of my car and started taking taking pictures. A week later the local PD is knocking on my door. Turns out the lady had a restraining order against her Ex-Husband and was certain I was hired by him to spy on her. He was very nice. Took some info from me and apologized for the intrusion.

Buddy said I was taking pictures of people on the beach( all 12 of them)

Nothing illegal there. People along the beach have no reasonable expectation of privacy. I wonder what would have happened if he saw you out there with nothing but a nice 35MM camera.

My vote for 'Best Quote of the Year'!

Can i use that? :)

[Drone pilots are like misunderstood pit bulls. Everyone assumes we're all bad.]

Sorry but I cannot agree with using Pit Bull in this context having witnessed first hand the consequences of a number of PB's as 'family pets' - something they are just not bred or 'designed' for. There is good reason they are restricted ownership in many countries.

Nigel

Nothing illegal there. People along the beach have no reasonable expectation of privacy......

That is generally true, but is not always the case. It depends on what the operator is doing. If you as a pilot of a camera UAV intentionally close in and video others without first asking - the video being intentionally invasive - then you are in violation. Some countries take this sort of thing seriously. It has to be remembered that not all people here are in the USA ...

Nigel

[Drone pilots are like misunderstood pit bulls. Everyone assumes we're all bad.]

Sorry but I cannot agree with using Pit Bull in this context having witnessed first hand the consequences of a number of PB's as 'family pets' - something they are just not bred or 'designed' for. There is good reason they are restricted ownership in many countries.

Nigel
You do realize that Labrador Retrievers are the number one breed for dog bites / attacks. Yes, goofy, slobbery labs.

But, we've wandered off topic a tad.

Back to just being misunderstood.....

Sorry but I cannot agree with using Pit Bull in this context

The key word here is 'misunderstood'

To me, that puts his post in the right context

You do realize that Labrador Retrievers are the number one breed for dog bites / attacks. Yes, goofy, slobbery labs.

Yes actually I did know that ... I was in the UK's Kennel Club when I lived there ... I used to have thoroughbred German Shepherd / Alsatians.
It was common for those 'not in the knowledge' to assume the GS would have more incidents than Lab's. What they did not appreciate was that the Lab would lose its 'cool' quicker than most other breeds. But a Lab will not continue its attack .. it bites and backs off. The GS will warn you and move away.. it will do that a number of times until point that it will bite. Most incidents with GS are actually caused by the person and the GS is defending itself.

But the Pit Bull and similar 'fighting breeds' are only lower on the list because of the very limited number in households. If they were in similar numbers as GS / Labs - i am sure they would be top of the list ... because it will not back off .. it goes for the kill, as so many children have found out when left with one.

Nigel

Reactions: DKG13CC and BigAl07
That is generally true, but is not always the case. It depends on what the operator is doing. If you as a pilot of a camera UAV intentionally close in and video others without first asking - the video being intentionally invasive - then you are in violation. Some countries take this sort of thing seriously. It has to be remembered that not all people here are in the USA ...

Nigel

Down here is Oz CASA define a "populous area" as one with only 1 person in it and we can't fly there.

Reactions: Ripper7620
Down here is Oz CASA define a "populous area" as one with only 1 person in it and we can't fly there.

Consider the ruling that any animal / person and you cannot overfly within 50m ! That's ours. Unless you have permission of the animal / person concerned ....

So Hi Mr. Worm .... can I overfly you ?

Nigel

Because you couldn’t do that with the ever popular cell phone.
Why do people think we take our easy to see and hear drone out to secretly photograph people when a cell phone would do it less noticeably.

Last edited:
Tell people if they are worried about privacy to "drop their iPhone in the garbage and stay off the streets, sidewalks and out of stores". Your iPhone and apps track your every move, there are 1000s of cameras on city streets and roads and in stores, Google Earth can take a close up picture of your house and everyone has a cell phone taking videos everywhere. There is no privacy anymore.

Labs may have a higher bite rate but 80% of fatalities are pit related. Read in a news report a year or so ago.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20