GoPro 4 Hero blac vs Phantom 3 camera

Bloom must have been in a rush to get that video out. Jello in almost every shot. Watching it in actual 4K is painful. Static shots are OK despite the lack of color depth but when ever the P3 moves, the compression noise is everywhere. And before anyone says "oh, that's just Youtube compression", watch this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's what 4K is supposed to look like. On an screen that can actually show 4K, it looks phenomenal!

Right, that's beautiful and everything but in order to make a legitimate comparison we'd have to look at what cameras and sensor sizes were being used for that sample 4k footage, as well as how they were shot, ie how many were taken on a tripod or from a helicopter (as opposed to from a flying 3lb copter in windy conditions) and take that into account. Also, you can't expect the exact same performance from a $3,000+ DSLR + lens that takes up loads of space and weight compared to a super compact camera that (I consider to be) a $400 part of the Phantom 3 (assuming $950 for the actual drone, gimbal, controller, etc). Just because the P3 camera isn't as good as professional setups does not make it a bad camera in my opinion.

As I mentioned in my post, the reason I shared that video is because people often blame Youtube for compression in Inspire and P3 videos. I didn't share it to compare cameras for obvious reasons.

Hi Mohan, can you tell me how long does it take the camera to take a dng raw pic? Does the screen go blank for a few seconds just like it does on the p2v+ and if so how long does the screen go blank for?
Thanks

No delay even in Jpeg and Raw mode

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Most of this thread is focused on the bit rate issues when recording in 4k. The video samples shown here really don't challenge the bit rate issue. The Furnace and the Desert Building videos were filmed at very slow camera movements. That effectively minimizes how much data needs to be transferred for each frame. The videos are almost still images. Both the gopro and P3 will have limitations.
Also, removing fisheye post processing and eliminating fisheye with the lens are very different. Post processing just distorts the image so it looks like there is no distortion. Kind of stupid if you ask me!

[QUOTE="mohan, post: 357846, member: 20271"e are happy with fisheye. I don't mind it either on the video footage as long as the camera is pointing at the distance / horizon......[/QUOTE]

On several of the GoPro video and still settings the fish-eye is almost not there at all or easily adjusted in "post" (Adobe CS6 Premiere Pro). No big deal.

Gopro hero 4 black is better than p3 camera, simple as that.
2.7k 60fps is the best mode to film in this chip sets and p3 pro does not have it.

Some nice stable 4k Gopro footage...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'll say it again. You don't have to be stuck with the fisheye with the GoPro.

Really wish you'd stop misleading people who are looking for information. You're making it sound like there's no way to remove it. There is. It's dead simple. Resulting footage has no fisheye and is not degraded in any noticeable way. I think I've provided enough proof to debunk that myth.

Removing fisheye in post degrades quality...Even done right, it's noticeable and limits size of prints (I do lots of still work for prints). I have been staunch GoPro guy since I picked up P2 a year ago....that was in comparison to a Vision+. Of course, it crushes that camera. I'll be using a P3 and Inspire for the first time later this coming week and FOR ME (key words) no fisheye and shoot as I want to shoot (not having to go back and delete 750 pictures) seals the deal for me.

Reactions: Meta4
If you're taking photographs you should be using the Sony RX100. It puts both Hero and Inspire/P3 to shame. For the rest of us doing video, fixing fisheye = no problem.

I am new in this. Please help. I crashed my Phantom 3 Professional and the camera was damaged. The cost of the 4K camera and gimbal and and does not make sense for me. What is the way to go. If I put a GoPro on the Drone, can it be connected as the 4K factory fit camera for me to see on my monitor the video or pictures. Can the taking of pictures be done from the remote control

If I put a GoPro on the Drone, can it be connected as the 4K factory fit camera for me to see on my monitor the video or pictures. Can the taking of pictures be done from the remote control
That is not possible.

With the Vision Plus a Dutch company more or less perfected easy changing between various cameras.
You could swap gopro+gimbal for P2V+ camera and gimbal and you had FPV and at least some camera controls..
The P3 uses a significantly different system and there's no realistic way to do it although stand alone FPV systems are available, you'd still have to start the camera before take off either in video, video plus photo at intervals, or timelapse photo.
If you have a GoPro and the camera is wrecked you may get reasonable results simply sticking a mount on the underside, especially for photos.
This is pretty much what we all did with P1.
In some ways the challenge of keeping everything smooth was part of the fun, and results were sometimes surprisingly good. In ATTI mode you could let the phantom drift in the wind which minimised GPS corrections

Just wanted to continue this discussion as it failed to answer some questions for a newbie. Phantom 2s with full FPV setup are now around the same price as phantom 3 standards. I was hoping someone could help me decide which one is best for a newbie to aerial photography who does not require 4K but will use the drone a lot for various videography projects. Many thanks

Just wanted to continue this discussion as it failed to answer some questions for a newbie.
The Phantom 3 is the better aircraft hands down. If you have any specific questions, please ask away :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic