Go Professional Case for Phantom 4

#3 in suggestions.. Adding an inch to the height of the case, thats a major thing!
I need to revise that suggestion. After removing the gimbal lock, I found the Phantom arms rest just fine in the case. So, instead of adding an inch, it looks like this issue could be resolved by just cutting a small rectangle out of the foam below where the gimbal lock wraps around the landing gear.

Reactions: TBDGR
Good idea. I may try to see if that resolves my issue as soon as I get back from the Hospital [emoji38]. Hopefully not voiding the warranty or my chance to exchange for a larger case.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I need to revise that suggestion. After removing the gimbal lock, I found the Phantom arms rest just fine in the case. So, instead of adding an inch, it looks like this issue could be resolved by just cutting a small rectangle out of the foam below where the gimbal lock wraps around the landing gear.
I'll give that a try.. Thanks

Is the tight fit regarding the raised motors an issue on both the wheeled and the non-wheeled case?
I have the non-wheeled case and I do not think the motor fitment is an issue (unless you intend to store your Phantom with the props on). Here's a photo of the top of the case lid:

IMG_1983.JPG

The blue section (the middle of the lid) flexes a bit when you push on the top with a moderate amount of force. The red section does not flex at all. The motors are all housed below the red section.

Looks like I will be more than comfortable with it. Ordering now. Ty.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is the tight fit regarding the raised motors an issue on both the wheeled and the non-wheeled case?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
They only thing that is a little tight it the TX. Seems like that could have been a little deeper. I keep the antennas out over the P4 arms so the pressure is gone. See my photo above.

Also I really like the little bit of soft foam they used to support the camera and gimbal. Keeps me from having to chop up my wife's Tempurpedic Pillow for extra gimbal support. Don't want my gimbal to get a bad neck. Ha!. I leave the ND filter on so the gimbal lock will not fit so I'm happy with that little addition.

Happy Flying,
Bill

I saw somewhere in a different thread that someone sheared back about halfway on the gimbal lock, removing the lens cover and half the horizontal plastic. This left plenty of room to leave the filter on and still use the lock

I saw somewhere in a different thread that someone sheared back about halfway on the gimbal lock, removing the lens cover and half the horizontal plastic. This left plenty of room to leave the filter on and still use the lock

TBDGR, Thanks, That's a great idea. As for me I don't like the gimbal locks. They slow me down and I don't like fliping my bird over everytime. Feels a little tight as well. The little peace of soft foam locks it in fine and I'm quick to launch. You can buy a fake Tempurpedic pillow at Costco or Sams really cheap if you want to make a delux bed for your camera / gimbal and that memory foam is great stuff to have around for little projects.

HAGO
Bill

I just unboxed my GPC case -- and, here's what I think about it:

1) The case itself is just like all other GPC cases. It's the most sturdy, well-made case on the market.

2) The interior is large enough to hold all of the usual accessories.

View attachment 48268

3) There is an odd looking piece of foam egg-crate glued in the center compartment of the case. I'm assuming the idea is to allow the camera to rest on it during times when the gimbal lock is not installed. I decided to remove it.

View attachment 48269

4) Everything fits very well in this case -- except the Phantom arms. It looks like the Phantom 4 is just a bit too tall for this case, so the arms don't sit flush. I'm not sure anything could be done to resolve this issue -- other than using a case that's about 1 inch taller. Cosmetics aside, the Phantom rests nice and secure in the center compartment and the lid closes just fine.

Note: If you remove the gimbal lock, the arms will then rest on the foam as expected. The problem is that the gimbal lock wraps around the landing gear and pushes the Phantom up a bit.

View attachment 48270

I have a few suggestions that could make this case better:

1) Remove the foam piece from the bottom section of the prop compartment (at the rear of the case). The props fit just fine now if you align them properly as you're dropping them into that slot. But, removing that extra bit of foam would have given that compartment a little bit more room for 8 props to fit comfortably.

2) Make the remote controller compartment a little bit wider around the sticks. I like to fly with my sticks extended and Phantom Knobs attached. As you can see in my photo above, the extended sticks fit just fine. However, I have to remove the Phantom Knobs when storing my remote controller.

3) In the thin foam piece that rests at the bottom of the center compartment, cut out two small rectangles on either side where the gimbal lock wraps around the landing gear. That'll prevent the Phantom arms from being pushed up (as seen in my photo above).

You think o should remove the piece under the camera? It looks like it's made to be there with the gimbal lock? I thought the same thing about the foam. I'm debating now taking it out. Lol

It does have a weird way the front arms sit in the foam... I noticed a day in the case and my camera foam is squished.
bf39f0e22f86ea9beb33c93fc5621a80.jpg
5a16ff9c95893e3bbd4e1cec47bb0db4.jpg
1e8ed266d435efb0163c1848b1abc0a6.jpg

It does have a weird way the front arms sit in the foam... I noticed a day in the case and my camera foam is squished.

Foam or gimbal lock. I like the foam for speed and you don't need the gimbal lock if you keep the foam. At least on mine and seems GPC didn't want us to use the lock because they didn't cut the foam for it.

You think o should remove the piece under the camera? It looks like it's made to be there with the gimbal lock?
I see no purpose for the foam if the gimbal lock is attached. And, I always store my Phantom with the gimbal lock attached.

Well I've been using both, only because with both on, the legs are still firmly touching the bottom of the case.

I don't want to rip it out? It's brand new! Haha

Indeed. Mine became a little loose once I was inspecting it a little too roughly seeing if I could press it down a little farther. One dot of hot glue fixed it up though.

I already own the GPC wheeled case and the Limited Edition Backpack for the Solo so I was looking at purchasing a foam set for one or other of them as they have used the same case for the P4.

After seeing the pictures and comments on this thread I've decided not to get the case foam set and wait and see if the back pack works out a bit better.

The cases are great, but the fit on the foam just doesn't look right. The case works for Solo but even there, there is little tolerance on the case depth so it looks like the P4 really does need a slightly deeper case.

The backpack may work better though...

For me at least, the wheeled case was a solution for airline travel as it is tough enough to be checked in safely as in pretty much anything , including the backpack, the Solo is over the carry-on size limit.

The handy thing with the P4 though is the case it ships in is comfortably inside the carry-on limits so that makes the need for a hard case much less obvious as I agree, the backpack solution is way easier if you do actually have to carry it any distance especially over rough terrain.

I just received mine today. I am seeing the same thing. All of the weight seems to be on the landing gear as the arms do not fit fully seated. When I take the gimbal lock off it fits a little better but still not as snug as my P3 did in the GPC Case. My main concern is that it is not fully protected. Do any of you see any reason why the protection could be compromised by the phantom not fitting snug in the cutouts? It almost seems like it defeats the purpose if it is not snug in place?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20