Gimbal wheel not working

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a rather new owner of a P3s. I bought it with a broken gimbal but was able to fix it (the horizon position sensor was broken)

I now have a perfectly fine craft with just one thing missing:
I cannot control the gimbal through the gimbal wheel.

This is odd, as
  • in RC calibration, I can calibrate the gimbal wheel to +/- 100%
  • using the "blue ring" in the app, I can move the gimbal just fine
I have checked the "gimbal speed" setting and it's set to 50 - which I would consider a sane starting point.

So what am I missing?
The controller and the app register the gimbal wheel movement.
The app can tell the craft to move the gimbal
The gimbal moves freely

I'm puzzled.

pj

WV, after taking the gimbal apart and replacing electronics, I'm pretty sure that my warranty has long been voided ;-)

might be a firmware mismatch with the RC and AC ? versions ? updated ?
I had run the initial firmware upgrade and the app shows "current firmware" - how would I tell or force a refresh?

pj

Have you calibrated the remote?

Rod

Have you calibrated the remote?

Rod
Yes, and as said in my original statement, I can see the gimbal wheel is working fine, reading +/-100% in the app in calibration. The bar and reading in the app are also proportional to the wheel deflection, so it would seem to me that the hardware is in good condition.

pj

Got it,
I assumed you were doing a gimbal calibration, not the whole RC calibration.

Rod

I responded into your other thread (Gimbal thrashing) before I realized you started a new one specific to the gimbal dial issue: it's a long shot, but try to do a reset from the Advanced Gimbal Settings menu.

"I responded into your other thread"
:rolleyes:

Rod

I have recalibrated the gimbal multiple times during and after the repair, will have to try the reset. It's an odd issue...

Just how us that try to help, have to search for clues on OP's starting new threads.

On board dtcs ???

Rod

Ah, yes... that happens... :confused:

In @pjakobs defense, that thread was about the gimbal not working and his (successful) attempt to repair it. This gimbal dial issue is something new, maybe related, maybe not...

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks, @120CCPM, in fact, I decided to start a new thread since it's pretty obvious to me that this is not connected to the original issue.
The gimbal had been damaged by impact beyond what the original owner was able to fix. I replaced some components and the hardware became good.
This issue is, in my eyes, clearly not hardware related, since, as I wrote in the initial post, both the gimbal wheel readout and the motion of the gimbal work fine - they are just somehow not "connected".
So, sorry if this was confusing, I was trying to unclutter things.

pj

Reactions: RodPad
full gimbal reset done - no change
as a side note: on my last flight I had a minor crash (did I mention that I'm new to flying drones?) and subsequently had an unstable gimbal with a waves of jitter. Upon inspection, it turns out that the screw on the camera axis was loose and the camera had maybe half a mm of play. Of course that would have resulted in a resonance when the gimbal tried to stabilize this.

pjakobs, did you happen to find a solution tothe gimbal wheel not working? Mine has the same problem and has done ever since I got it, my fault really as I should've sent it back but wanted to play, lol. I've had to use the on screen option to tilt the camera but would be nice to find out the problem so I can use the wheel. Cheers

Dwayne0776 - no, not yet. I am investigating but so far without obvious results. I'll post here if I make progress.
I have tested a second remote and there it works, so the fault is clearly with the remote, not the drone. I have traced the signal from the gimbal potentiometer to the micro that reads it - also without finding any fault. I have a hunch that it might be either something very ethereal somewhere in the controller or that it's in fact software.

pj

Following. My gimbal wheel stopped working right after the update. Gimbal all works fine, up/down action on screen, just not with the wheel.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31