Gimbal tilt not working at all

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post here. Searched the web with no results, figured this would be a good place. Had a P2 crash that killed my old gimbal. Bought a refurbished one from B&H Photo and Video. Got it all mounted and plugged in and all is working well except for one thing. The tilt doesn't work at all and the gimbal is permanently titled upwards to a point where you can see the lights on the front of the P2. It stabilizes just fine from side to side and forward and backward but the tilt is faced too far up and is not controllable from the back of the transmitter.

I did all updates on firmware, and did a full calibration still with no results. The only thing I haven't tried is the hard reset on the gimbal itself. We are going to send it back to B&H but I wanted to see if anyone has had this issue and knew exactly what was wrong. Thanks for the input!

Confirm you calibrated the RC's X1 using RC Assistant? Then closed out that software and hooked USB cable to Phantom.Then opened Phantom Assistant and went to the RC tab and calibrated the RC's X1 ranges into Phantom? Also made sure checked upgrade" or "regular" depending on which remote you have?

And then went to Gimbal tab and made sure Horizontal and Vertical were set at 0?

I'm sorry but I'm stumped with this one. Maybe check the gray ribbon cable to make sure its properly seated in gimbal and p2.

Damon said:
Confirm you calibrated the RC's X1 using RC Assistant? Then closed out that software and hooked USB cable to Phantom.Then opened Phantom Assistant and went to the RC tab and calibrated the RC's X1 ranges into Phantom? Also made sure checked upgrade" or "regular" depending on which remote you have?

And then went to Gimbal tab and made sure Horizontal and Vertical were set at 0?

Yes sir did all those things in that exact order. The x1 shows it's working on the RC software and P2 software. The gimbal is just not reading that signal I guess and is always titled too far upwards even at its resting point.

Damon said:
I'm sorry but I'm stumped with this one. Maybe check the gray ribbon cable to make sure its properly seated in gimbal and p2.

I'll try that one out. They sent a new one so I may just replace it and see if that helps. Thanks for your input!

Not that this is the solution, but more of a workaround. But what happens if you go to the gimbal tab and put in -30 and also adjust the vertical to 30?

Damon said:
Not that this is the solution, but more of a workaround. But what happens if you go to the gimbal tab and put in -30 and also adjust the vertical to 30?

Ok so this is weird. I went into the gimbal tab. The first thing I touched was the gain, I slid it up to about 15. As soon as I moved that slider, the gimbal tilted downward and stayed facing down. Not completely down but as far off from down as it is overly pointed up. So I powered down. Reopened the program, set the vertical to -30 and it did nothing. Moved the gain, and again the thing points straight down but is still non responsive to X1. When I power cycle the P2 it goes back to its starting position but still pointed too high.

Side note, the LED on the back of the gimbal mounting plate for the gopro. Is it supposed to be red?

Red light coming from back of plate is normal.

Gain adjustment should not affect the gimbal in a way you described. Gain just speeds up or slows down the tilt after command to tilt angle is given by X1 lever. I set mine to 3 so its buttery slow.

We might be fighting a loosing battle if refurbish is not actually mechanically sound.

Who knows, the gimbal reset trick with wire jumper or tweezers might work. I've never had to use that technique.

I read through your post again. Did you happen to fly it with gimbal off? Just curious if it flew normal.

Damon said:
I read through your post again. Did you happen to fly it with gimbal off? Just curious if it flew normal.

I did fly with the gimbal off for a week or two here and there while waiting for the new gimbal to come in. There were no issues with the P2. I am dreading doing the reset because last time I had to install old versions of the RC and P2 software just to get it to recognize the gimbal and give me an update for the firmware. I will most likely just send this back as it seems this one has issues still. Thanks again for your input.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl