Gimbal pointing slightly to the left when powered on

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just noticed this issue and am unsure as to whether this is normal behaviour. When I power my P4 I notice that the gimbal points slightly to the left, which looks a bit odd.

I have tried numerous cold IMU calibrations in different locations on flat surfaces measured with a spirit level and also performed a gimbal calibration but this does not seem to rectify the issue.

Anyone else noticed this?

I've attached a picture to demonstrate the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 689
I.e. That once in a while. You can fix it by adjusting the gimbal +/-. I have not seen any loss of video from it...seems to work fine in the air.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks. Any ideas what could cause this? It doesn't seem to affect the footage pointing downwards, however when the +30 degree camera setting enabled and the camera is pointed upwards, I can see some of the left arm + prop.

I have tried adjusting the gimbal roll but this seems to adjust the tilt but the camera remains in the same position. Is there any setting that can adjust the default yaw position of the gimbal?

Camera yaw is not user adjustable. Should nicely face forward. Suppose was the case since day one. Please confirm.

Should have been detected at QC.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I returned mine until I got one that didn't have this issue. (True story)

How many replacements did you go through? This is pretty poor on DJIs behalf, these devices should not be leaving the factory like this. It's a pretty obvious issue and I can't believe they are allowed to pass through QC like this. :-(

Camera yaw is not user adjustable. Should nicely face forward. Suppose was the case since day one. Please confirm.

Should have been detected at QC.

I assume it was like this from the start, I only noticed it the other week though. :-(

How many replacements did you go through? This is pretty poor on DJIs behalf, these devices should not be leaving the factory like this. It's a pretty obvious issue and I can't believe they are allowed to pass through QC like this. :-(

I assume it was like this from the start, I only noticed it the other week though. :-(

Sad to say, I've must've returned 5 of them.
But I didn't care.

Sad to say, I've must've returned 5 of them.
But I didn't care.

It makes you wonder how many of these drones leave the factory like this. I think a lot of people probably don't even realise the issue until it's too late, or never will notice.

Unfortunately I'm now well beyond my return period and I stupidly bought from a non-authorised DJI seller, so DJI won't want to acknowledge this as a warranty claim, which means in all likelihood I will be charged, which isn't really an option for me.

I guess I will have to live with it and let it be a lesson learned for myself to pay extra and buy from a DJI authorised reseller.

It makes you wonder how many of these drones leave the factory like this. I think a lot of people probably don't even realise the issue until it's too late, or never will notice.

Unfortunately I'm now well beyond my return period and I stupidly bought from a non-authorised DJI seller, so DJI won't want to acknowledge this as a warranty claim, which means in all likelihood I will be charged, which isn't really an option for me.

I guess I will have to live with it and let it be a lesson learned for myself to pay extra and buy from a DJI authorised reseller.

You see the problem is called "mass production". When items are at a period when everyone wants one, there are produced so fast, they are overlooked and not built properly.
And also made in different parts of the country of origin.
I'm not sure if this true, but this is what I think.

I bought mine from BESTBUY which most of you know they offer service warranties that you pay a little extra at checkout. But not the drones.
But since I was at my 14 day return policy, I kept returning them due to 3 of those twisted gimbal issues, one broken RTH button, and I forgot the other.
Man BESTBUY was pissed off at me. Lol
But I did notice one thing though.
Most of the drones that I had and returned, looked different, like black cooking fans for the gimbal and even white/beige ones.

I tried everything I could to fix the problem ur having. But I just got sick of it and finally got one that was just right.

I wish you luck

OP? Try looking at the shaft that holds the gimbal. There's a little Tory screw that's right up in there. There is a way to straighten it out. Just takes a few tries that's all.

OP? Try looking at the shaft that holds the gimbal. There's a little Tory screw that's right up in there. There is a way to straighten it out. Just takes a few tries that's all.

I will have to try this, although I am not sure where to start. Does it involve removing the gimbal casing?

I can see a few people with this same issue on their P3 have had success adjusting a screw but I can't seem to find it on the P4. Any clues/photos etc would be most appreciated!

TIA for your help. :)

I've just had another look but this screw does not appear to be on the P4 gimbal arm. It looks like that photo is from a P3 gimbal?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already tried the factory reset feature in DJI Assistant 2 but it doesn't make any difference, I have even tried downgrading and upgrading the firmware, with the same result. :(

Looks like there's not really much else I can try as it looks to be a physical alignment issue and there seems no easy way of adjustment.

I would try and fix this myself but I do not want to risk breaking anything.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl