Gimbal Overloading with Filters

Reaction score
I have received my new P4P this week and I bought it as part of a package that included a variety of items. They seemed to all be from a company called Ultimax.

One of the items was a set of Ultimax lens filters. But when trying to use the Variable ND (ND2- ND400) I get Gimbal overload warnings and the gimbal drops the camera straight down, lifts it up briefly, then drops it back down again. Straining to lift it, but not quite able to get it done.

The lenses all specify they are made for the DJI Phantom 4 Pro series. So did I get a bad gimbal? A bad set of lenses? Are my expectations out of line?

Here are the lens specs, I measured the depth of the lens and the weight of the lens.

The ND2 - ND400 Variable is 0.5610" thick and weighs 9.2 gm. This is the one I know I had issues with.
The HD MC CPL is 0.475" thick and weighs 7.3 gm. I cannot swear I used this one and paid attention to performance yet.
The HD MC UV is 0.450" thick and weighs 5.7 gm. No issues with this lens.
The DJI Lens (camera lens protector for the most part) is 0.3545" thick and weighs 2.5 gm, for reference.

Any thoughts or inputs?

Attachments

• GOPR0983.JPG
    GOPR0983.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 502
I have received my new P4P this week and I bought it as part of a package that included a variety of items. They seemed to all be from a company called Ultimax.

One of the items was a set of Ultimax lens filters. But when trying to use the Variable ND (ND2- ND400) I get Gimbal overload warnings and the gimbal drops the camera straight down, lifts it up briefly, then drops it back down again. Straining to lift it, but not quite able to get it done.

The lenses all specify they are made for the DJI Phantom 4 Pro series. So did I get a bad gimbal? A bad set of lenses? Are my expectations out of line?

Here are the lens specs, I measured the depth of the lens and the weight of the lens.

The ND2 - ND400 Variable is 0.5610" thick and weighs 9.2 gm. This is the one I know I had issues with.
The HD MC CPL is 0.475" thick and weighs 7.3 gm. I cannot swear I used this one and paid attention to performance yet.
The HD MC UV is 0.450" thick and weighs 5.7 gm. No issues with this lens.
The DJI Lens (camera lens protector for the most part) is 0.3545" thick and weighs 2.5 gm, for reference.

Any thoughts or inputs?
Not sure how these weights compare with other ND Filter brands. But let me tell you that the best filters out there for the P4P are from Tiffen! 79 bucks from B&H gets you a polarizer which I don't hardly ever use. An ND 8 and a 16. They are the most neutral filters out there for the P4P. Fred Hagen turned me onto them. And they do effect gimble at all. Polar Pros are great too. But I can def see a slight color cast with the footage I used to shoot with them. The Tiffen's have none!

None of my filter weigh more than 5.25 grams, those are polarizing ND, the others only weigh 3.5 grams, the original is 2.5 grams.

The Freewell variable ND filter might be worth a try if you're set on using a variable filter. It's only 5.6 grams. I haven't used it extensively, but I've never had trouble with the gimbal while using it.

I just had the same problem with the same filter ....mid flight gimbal drops and then recovers i thought i crashed at first lol swapped back to original...went for short flight seemed fine ...keep ya posted i just got this less than a month ago so hopefully wont have to send back

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr