Gimbal not moving on startup. Video feed OK

Reaction score
I crashed my phantom 3 standard and had to replace the yaw arm and roll motor.
I also replaced the ribbon cable with a genuine DJI part, now on startup the gimbal doesn't move at all and I can't move it with the controller.

The main board LED is solid green.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If gimbal is completely limp, this is often caused by its main controller (STM32) being unable to read IMU (which is on sensor board). So this almost certainly an issue with moving parts, and most likely with either FFC or sensor board.

If gimbal is completely limp, this is often caused by its main controller (STM32) being unable to read IMU (which is on sensor board). So this almost certainly an issue with moving parts, and most likely with either FFC or sensor board.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes it is completely limp, There is no resistance from the motors when powered on. Only a slight noise that gets louder when they are shifted.

Is there a relatively simple fix for the main controller without replacing it? Or might the issue come from the sensor board and possibly how I've reassembled it?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to drones thanks for any info you can provide

You may read about each board here:

The issue is not in gimbal MCU. It's in gimbal MCU not receiving info from gimbal IMU (not the main IMU).

The issue is not in gimbal MCU. It's in gimbal MCU not receiving info from gimbal IMU (not the main IMU).
Ok I will read about the different parts as I'm a bit lost. I'll get back to you shortly.

I found a thread describing the same issue here Phantom 3 limp gimbal and gyroscope error
I see you were active in there, do you know if the issue got resolved?

Is the gimbal imu you are refering to located just behind the camera?

Attachments

• DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 224
Same here. video feed working, gimball does not do self test or work at all. camera cannot be tilted from app. everything else perfect. drone did not hit anything, just sat unused for 2-5 years.

Such issues are usually due to FFC.
If a little moisture got between the film layers, it will oxidize the copper connections over time.

One could ping the gimbal module by connecting front USB to PC and using comm_serialtalk.py.
Then it could be established whether the module booted and is communicable. I used the commad "get FW version" when checking modules like that, but there is probably a way to ask it for status as well. Maybe it returns an error code which can be figured out.

Also, gimbal should broadcast its status and positions periodically, and that should be visible within DAT log.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31