Phantom 3 limp gimbal and gyroscope error

Reaction score
Hi,
Trying to refurbish a P3S but I’m getting a gyroscope error. Also the gimbal is limp. Everything else is working (live view, etc).
Can anybody help?
Thanks

Following this because my P3S gimbal went limp for a week and no troubleshooting I did helped, but then it "fixed" itself on the next flight. I want to figure out the root cause.

I did not have a gyroscope issue though.

Ok, sorry.
It's a Phantom 3 Standard, I bought it from somebody who crashed it on their second flight. The roll arm was broken so I replaced that. I also replaced the gimbal connector cable as it was getting very hot, it seemed to be wired wrong, the wires were centred in the middle when they are meant to be offset to one side. After replacing them everything worked fine accept the gimbal was limp and there was a gyroscope error. I tried replacing the ribbon cable but that hasn't done anything.

Sorry about my ignorance and thankyou for replying.

I also replaced the gimbal connector cable as it was getting very hot, it seemed to be wired wrong, the wires were centred in the middle when they are meant to be offset to one side.

Oh wow.. so it looks like the plastic connector at end of the ribbon was ripped out at impact, and someone inserted the cables into wrong holes. You could fix the old one, as long as it's not burnt.

After replacing them everything worked fine accept the gimbal was limp and there was a gyroscope error.

The question is - which Gyroscope? in main IMU, or in Gimbal IMU?
What's the exact message?
Can you start motors?

I tried replacing the ribbon cable but that hasn't done anything.

That's good, Flex Flat Cable is always a first suspect.

The old one was pretty mangled, the plastic covering the wires was melted, and I can't sell it like that so I just got a new one.

the error says;
'Gimbal gyroscope error.
Hardware malfunction. Contact DJI support for repairs.'

Yes the motors start up, everything on the drone works. (I can fly it)

I forgot to say, the gimbal motors buzz when you rotate them.

Last edited:
Gimbal IMU is here:
O-Gs wiki: Camera sensor board
It's the chip in white rectangle. It is connected to STM32 uC here:
O-Gs wiki: WM321 Gimbal top board
So there might be an issue either with the chip, or with the connection.

For motors buzzing - may be due to gyroscope. But make sure they rotate freely and magnets inside are not crushed. The buzzing could also be caused by damaged potentiometer on arm control boards - measure the pots with a multimeter.

When I disconnect the camera the gyroscope error disappears, so would that mean the error is inside the camera, or am I not understanding you?

All three motors rotate freely. There’s no scraping noises.

When I disconnect the camera the gyroscope error disappears, so would that mean the error is inside the camera, or am I not understanding you?
Yes, you understand correctly. The message explicitly says "'Gimbal gyroscope error".

Not sure what you consider a camera.

The issue can be in any component which connects Camera sensor Board to Gimbal Top Board. If you tried replacing the Flex Flat Wire already, then the next step would be to either try another top board or another sensor board.

Would buying another broken gimbal be a good idea, to swap bits across? Instead of buying replacement parts until it makes it work.
But then the part that will make mine work might be broken on the other gimbal. Hmmmm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers