gimbal noise p4

I'm not sure how to post a link to another topic in this forum, so the below link may not work correctly... but for what it's worth there is a topic about "ph4 gimbal screaming" where the OP said a DJI tech recommended he tighten all the screws on the gimbal and it actually worked... He uploaded the before video with the screaming issue (which sounds similar to the above) and the after video where it seems the issue was resolved.

Dji ph4 Gimbal Screaming issue !!!
Awesome! Seems to be caused by loose gimbal screws that can easily be tightened!

Tighten all your visible gimbal screws, if it squeaks! :cool:

If that fixes the problem, you are golden! :D

Last edited:
Awesome! Seems to be caused by loose gimbal screws that can easily be tightened!

Tighten all your visible gimbal screws, if it squeaks! :cool:

If that fixes the problem, you are golden! :D
Mine does the start up squeak. Tightened all of the screws, no dice. Everything else work fine, no noise during operation. It bugs me but no way I'm gonna play wack-a-mole hoping to find a good one. Especially knowing how many have been returned that may end up in stock again, even if that's an unreasonable assumption. In the mean time I'm having a blast with this one. If/when it gets worse, I'll deal with it then. Maybe by then things will have been ironed out.

Mine does the start up squeak. Tightened all of the screws, no dice. Everything else work fine, no noise during operation. It bugs me but no way I'm gonna play wack-a-mole hoping to find a good one. Especially knowing how many have been returned that may end up in stock again, even if that's an unreasonable assumption. In the mean time I'm having a blast with this one. If/when it gets worse, I'll deal with it then. Maybe by then things will have been ironed out.
Hey! It was worth a shot! Apparently, it has worked often enough to be recommended by the European DJI repair center. Sorry it didn't work for you. Hopefully, it will work for somone else. My second P4 is fortunately squeak free out of the box. First thing I tested!

image-jpeg.52226
To remove the initialize Gimbal Noise

1 - with 1.5mm good allen key remove the 4 screws of the back Gimbal vertical cover ( pointed in the picture)
2 - take of the back vertical cover
3 - turn on the Phantom 4, probably the noise go out
4 - put in place the vertical back Gimbal cover without the screws
5 - put a little bit of paper glue in the screws to prevent vibration unscrew
6 - put back again only one screw and screw until the end
7 - unscrew 1 turn, turn on the Phantom and test, if the noise persist, unscrew 1 more turn and test again. Unscrew a little bit until the Gimbal not make more noise on initializing
8 - make the same all process to the screw number 2, 3 and 4, but only one at time

If works for you, please let me know

I just received my replacement as my first one had the squeal on startup. I immediately powered on the new one with crossed fingers and the squeal on the new one is worse than on the first one. It squeals at the same point during the startup up process and is more noticeably present when the phantom is moved by hand so the gimbal has to adjust.

I do notice that the camera on my new phantom seems to hold it's position when powered off, which I think my old phantom did not do. When I power off the new one the camera stays pointed straight ahead, it doesn't fall limp and it seems stiffer to move with my fingers (not stiff per se but more so than my other one). Is this difference the cause of the louder squeal I wonder? I wish we knew if this squeal was a non issue and then we could just live with it and fly.

Just FYI...I just traded in another phantom tonight from Apple..told them to give me the latest one they received...brought it home...squeaked again...screw it...bringing it back....again!!

Just FYI...I just traded in another phantom tonight from Apple..told them to give me the latest one they received...brought it home...squeaked again...screw it...bringing it back....again!!
I would not accept one with the squeak. It is not normal. Make them open the box in the store and turn the battery on and test it immediately! If not, walk outside, and open up the box and test it immediately, and keep exchanging every 5 minutes until they either refund your money or find a good one. Best Buy is offering the $1559 price for a P4 with two extra batteries. You aren't limited to Apple any more! You will immediately become Elite with the purchase, and qualify for a 30 day return period, instead of Apple's 14 days. Good luck!

Thanks...busy weekend and did not have a chance to go back to the Apple store anyway...took it out for a test flight to check gimbal horizon and so far so good...my first one was from Best buy and I had to return that one....they are not always in stock at BB...oh well...awesome battery deal though! I will check that out!

Best Buy also sells on eBay to avoid the sales tax, and you can still pick up in store, so you have a chance to open the box before you leave. Hope you get a good one!

Best Buy selling on eBay and pick up in the store sales tax free is incorrect. There was another post where this was reported that this occurred at a store in Fort Worth. I called that store in Fort Worth and they said absolutely not. I also tried in Scottsdale and they also would not allow sales tax free if purchased on eBay for an in store pickup.

One really has to wonder how many that make these statements actually get these sales tax free purchases for eBay Best Buy in store pickups. I would guess no one..

Donald Barar

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Best Buy selling on eBay and pick up in the store sales tax free is incorrect. There was another post where this was reported that this occurred at a store in Fort Worth. I called that store in Fort Worth and they said absolutely not. I also tried in Scottsdale and they also would not allow sales tax free if purchased on eBay for an in store pickup.

One really has to wonder how many that make these statements actually get these sales tax free purchases for eBay Best Buy in store pickups. I would guess no one..

Donald Barar

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I was specifically told last week, in person, by a Best Buy store manager, who was helping me out, that the eBay Best Buy sales are prepaid, and shipping them to the store is simply a pickup of a prepaid item, just like if it was delivered directly to your home. He said it does not go through the store register. That doesn't make it true, but your two phone calls hold no more credibility to me. There is no requirement that an eBay Best Buy tax free purchase be picked up at a store. It is merely an option.

New one also has the tilted horizon.
Have you tried a gimbal calibration on a calibrated level surface to fix it? If not try that first. If that doesn't work, try an IMU calibration first, followed by another gimbal calibration. DJI Support claims that fixes most gimbal calibration issues. Somehow, they are supposed to be connected. Worth a try, if you intend to keep the bird.

Which Best Buy are you going to pick up at after purchasing on eBay sales tax free? I would like to know so that I can call them, find out the process, and demand that the store in Scottsdale extend me the same courtesy!

My guess is most likely not. If this were the case, everyone would buy this way and avoid the sales tax. But that is not the way the sales tax laws are set up. Usually works like this. If an on-line store has a physical property selling merchandise in the state which they are shipping you pay sales tax. If you want to avoid the sales tax then you must purchase from a retailer like B&H. Of course this only works if you do not reside in the state of New York.

The other thing I hear on this website is how Best Buy extends the return period with these major purchases. Again, I have attempted to confirm this at several Best Buys stores. None of them will. Best Buy claims there is holding period before the extended return period goes into effect. In fact, this same store in Fort Worth was it was adamant about it because of the very high rate of return of Phantoms and that they were sticking to the 15 day return policy.

From every thing I can tell so far, the information we are getting on this forum about eBay Best Buy sales tax exemption and Best Buy extension of return policies for Phantoms are bogus.

Donald Barar

All I can tell you is that almost everything at any Best Buy store that works in your favor is entirely up to the discretion of the store manager currently on duty. If they don't want to help you, they don't have to. Pick a store in an affluent area, rather than in a blue collar area. I was turned down at one store, and literally thrown out, but went to another store, and received an entirely different reception, and got exactly what I wanted. If they want to help you, they have virtually unlimited discretion. If they don't, they will simply tell you their job as store manager is to enforce store policy, rather than make exceptions. If the store has had a high rate of returns, they will be far less flexible than one that hasn't. YMMV. It doesn't hurt to ask, and ask nicely, and if you aren't treated well, find another store, or come back when someone else is on duty! Good luck!

More affluent Best Buy store than Scottsdale, AZ? Really?

Still have not heard the name of that Best Buy store and contact information from you for me to confirm this wonderful deal so that I can tell Scottsdale what to do.

More affluent Best Buy store than Scottsdale, AZ? Really?

Still have not heard the name of that Best Buy store and contact information from you for me to confirm this wonderful deal so that I can tell Scottsdale what to do.

Maybe you didn't understand my last post above. It's entirely in the discretion of each individual store manager. Find one that wants to work with you, instead of trying to force them to do what another store manager has done at another store, which will NOT work, because they won't care! Order direct from eBay Best Buy and have it delivered to your home to avoid all sales tax. Order from DJI direct to have them pay your sales tax. That's the best I can do for you. Good luck!

image-jpeg.52226
To remove the initialize Gimbal Noise

1 - with 1.5mm good allen key remove the 4 screws of the back Gimbal vertical cover ( pointed in the picture)
2 - take of the back vertical cover
3 - turn on the Phantom 4, probably the noise go out
4 - put in place the vertical back Gimbal cover without the screws
5 - put a little bit of paper glue in the screws to prevent vibration unscrew
6 - put back again only one screw and screw until the end
7 - unscrew 1 turn, turn on the Phantom and test, if the noise persist, unscrew 1 more turn and test again. Unscrew a little bit until the Gimbal not make more noise on initializing
8 - make the same all process to the screw number 2, 3 and 4, but only one at time

If works for you, please let me know

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4