Gimbal Motor Overloaded intermittent error since 1.2.0

just checked in my settings and Apps where set to automatically download updates. In my opinion this would explain why this issue did not present itself sooner.

I shut the automatic download for new versions of apps off. I can't afford to have issues like this when doing videos or photography for customers in the future.

just checked in my settings and Apps where set to automatically download updates. In my opinion this would explain why this issue did not present itself sooner.

I shut the automatic download for new versions of apps off. I can't afford to have issues like this when doing videos or photography for customers in the future.
Where do you do this, in the apple store or settings?

Discussed the issue today with DJI via live chat, they confirmed that the warning is due to the sensitivity settings of the latest firmware and that this will be fixed in the next firmware update! it has nothing to do with the app! They also confirmed that it is save to fly and that it does not damage the gimbal! So I will wait for the next firmware update and hope it resolves the issue.

I don't believe it's firmware related. I haven't updated my P3A firmware to the latest yet but the Pilot App was updated to the latest and I am seeing this false positive warning about once every time I fly. It must be in the Pilot App. First time I saw it I was concerned and flew straight back. Since then I ignore it.

Reactions: mick
The reinstall of App version 1.2.0 seems to have worked for some but not for others. It did for me.......... grandson and I went and flew 3 batteries and never got the error again.

I was told that doing an IMU calibration as well as a gimbal calibration would more then likely fix the Gimbal Motor Overload issue. I would just like to confirm that I tested this theory out and it is definitely not true. Issue is still very much present. :/

I was told that doing an IMU calibration as well as a gimbal calibration would more then likely fix the Gimbal Motor Overload issue. I would just like to confirm that I tested this theory out and it is definitely not true. Issue is still very much present. :/
Confirmed.

This does not work and neither does an app reinstall. The issue is with the iOS 1.2.0 version of the DJI Pilot App.

Reactions: heli-insane
Jeffreyi how do you stop the application from automatically updating? I think when I fired up my phantom 3s pilot app yesterday for the first time in a few days that it most definitely updated my firmware.

I use my iPhone as a hotspot so no matter where I am flying I always have internet so I get maps of new locations I film at.

This would definitely explain why I began experiencing the error yesterday!

hopefully DJI has a fix for this real soon. They should give their customers the option to roll back to previous software.
I had my settings in IOS set to automatically download app updates. Using an Ipad Air 2. Nothing to do with the PA3. Nothing I do gets rid of the warnings...........

Finally heard back from DJI today and will share the whole conversation here.

Monday at 22:17

Good evening, I have installed the newest software for my phantom 3 professional software is v1.2.6 and now when I attempt to fly the phantom, I am getting the warning "Gimbal Motor Overload"

I do not know how to correct this issue and the foam and the mount to stabilize the camera for transportation are not attached either. Any ideas?

Also I am running the newest DJI Pilot app for the IOS and the version is iOS Version v1.1.2.

A quick google search and it becomes apparent that many other phantom 3 owners are experiencing the exact same thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Keith

I figured I should add more to this ticket explaining exactly what I experienced and the updates I did.

I have had the phantom 3 professional now for 2 weeks and never experienced any issues, no crashes and its just been a blast.

Today I drove out to a remote location fired it up and went to take off from the grass. That was when the DJI pilot App gave me my very first notice to update the phantom 3 before flying it again. I X'd the error out and proceeded to take off.

Within 2 minutes of the flight the warning had popped up "Gimbal Motor Overload" I landed immediately and drove home and began the update process.

I thought maybe the grass take off is what gave me the gimble error and did all tests after that from asphalt and same thing.

Nothing I have tried has solved this issue but I now have new software installed and the issue is still there.

A quick google search and it will show you many customers are experiencing this exact same issue.

Hopefully this issue can be fixed sooner then later as I am not sure if this makes using my phantom 3 professional safe to use.

A few people have recommended calibrating the IMU but this is not a step I have taken and no one reporting this issue has found a fix for it yet either.

DJI response

A.L. Today at 17:55

Dear Keith,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technology, North America.

We apologize for the experience you have had with your product. We at DJI Technology of North America would like to assist with this process.

Keith, although the forums are reporting this error message, most Phantom 3 Professional users have de-installed the DJI Pilot App., re-installed the Pilot App, and still get the error message.

If you have performed all your calibrations (Compass, Gimbal, and IMU) and still get the error message, at this time we also have Phantom 3 users who are reporting they have performed the calibrations, re-installed the DJI Pilot App., still get the error message for a few minutes of flight and then the message comes and goes, however, their Phantom 3 is performing without any additional incidents.

Keith, please try the solutions above and reply back with your results.

Thank you for your patience and continued support in DJI Technology. I look forward to your reply.

DJI - "The Future of Possible"

Here is my response back to them.

This issue is not resolved. I have done everything you have listed to attempt to fix this issue. My video is no longer crystal clear like it was before getting the new pilot app.

Keep in mind this phantom 3 is only 5 flights old, I have only uploaded 1 video to my youtube account and that is it.

I have not had any hard landings no crashes and I have babied this machine since the day it arrived.

I am not new to rc either. I am a sponsored pilot for both RC Aerodyne as well as OMG RC USA and I fly 3D helicopters and have been doing this now for almost 6 years.

I know how to build rc helicopters, program fbl units, soldering and all of the calibration to make my 3d helicopters fly silky smooth.

Upon close inspection of my Phantom 3 I also notice hair line cracks in the plastic of my gimbal and will attach several pictures showing the overall perfect condition of my phantom 3 professional.

This was purchased in Canada on June 19th from Rotorquest.

The error for the gimbal has greatly effected the quality of my streaming video to my Ipad air 2 as well as the videos I have shot have a lot of jello in them. No where near the quality of video I was getting before this Pilot App auto updated its self.

Definitely not a happy customer at the moment to say the least.

Keith

Attachments

• IMG_4937.JPG
    IMG_4937.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 426
  • IMG_4938.JPG
    IMG_4938.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 444
  • IMG_4940.JPG
    IMG_4940.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 500
mine was doing all sorts of weird stuff like that after the last firmware update. The gimble would lose center and drift to the left on its own even when it was just sitting on the kitchen table. or if flying and not putting any yaw in to it when flying straight for about 30 seconds. But it going off center and not being zeroed after drifting to the extreme left was also causing it to hit the stops and would hop every time it hit the stop thingy on the arm any time the gimbal needed to move its self to the left to counter any movements of the phantom. it would also pop up a gimbal motor overload message on the screen any time it would hit the stop and hop around.
I tried a compass calibration and a few IMU calibrations with no luck. and I ended up having to do a compass calibration AFTER the imu and also needed to do the compass calibration in a different location. Now its working right again after the last compass calibration.

So im pretty sure its some thing to do more with the compass then the IMU thats causing the gimbals problems many seem to be havering sence the last firmware update or maybe the app update as others are thinking.

The Gimbal problem has been driving me nuts, like a lot of you. FINALLY, I think I have found the cause of the problem, at least for my configuration. Here's what I've learned this afternoon. I have a PH3-Pro - that worked just fine until the upgrade routine started. As the good soldier that I am, I followed all the instructions from China, assuming, quite naively, that they would do no harm. Big mistake!

I was so happy with the new PH3 before upgrading - I was a believer - I couldn't fathom how DJI could produce such an outstanding line of products, consistently, from PH1 to PH3, getting better with each iteration and then hit a wall. Well, the bottom line is, the king has lost some of his cloths - he's not completely naked yet, but gett'n close.

From reading the mail here on Phantom Pilots, the trend of thought seemed to be leaning to the App as the bad boy. After searching around my computer I found the older Version - 1.1.2 ipa of the app. It took some time for me to figure out how to install an older version of the app over a newer one. It turned out pretty simple. Just completely delete the newer version of the app from your "device" (i phone, ipad, etc.) and then double click on the file Dji Pilot 1.1.2 ipa.................you may get a question "do you really want to do this" or something close.........answer YES, and the older app will install on your device and be ready for duty.

I think the young boys in China that are doing this outstanding work aren't old enough yet to understand that they will NOT live forever and that they are not bulletproof. They need to slow down a little, do more homework (read testing) before they release their work into the wild.

HOWEVER, the Kids plan to release a backup version with new upgrades is a splendid idea. Makes good, common sense! A backup plan............ingenious, don't you think? With that plan, we can continue on as cowboys we love to be - until it strikes again. Then, just shrug - reinstall the last version that you learned to love and continue on until the next time........have a great evening.....Reggiano

I don't actually have a problem with it. Sure, it pops up now and then, but after a while everyone ignores the check engine light because they know it's not really a problem.

I actually got the gimbal overload notice tonight, and it was because where I had it sitting for takeoff, the tall grass was blocking the gimbal from moving. Once I moved it over a few feet to shorter grass, it went away. So I guess it is serving a purpose. I had stopped getting it after removing and reinstalling the new app version, until tonight, where it looks like it actually worked as intended.

I have the same warning all the time, tonight I took her out with the first flight on my third battery, funny thing is I had a 12min flight and did not get the warning once! It was wind still and did not fly her hard! I am convinced that it is a sensitivity setting in the firmware! Maybe we need take the flight conditions into account! It could also be a battery issue as I see there is another discussion where a user mentions that he also gets this warning on one of his batteries!

I have been getting gimbal motor overloaded recently. I got it with and without the filter attached.

Having an ND filter is necessary. The video is jumpy and unusable without. DJI shouldn't really be selling the drone without the ND filter

I have firmware 1.1.9

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic