Gimbal horizon tilt and drift issues

Reaction score
Second day with the new bird and struggling with horizon issues. I've recalibrated the gimbal and tried the in flight manual adjustments, but there is still horizon drift.

This is not too big a deal if it's only a little and especially in mountainous areas, but when it is pancake flat any horizon issues show up.

Tonight I plan a COLD IMU calibration and another gimbal calibration....

Here is an example. (nice ranchette eh?...)

Also for those wondering, the photos in the 16:9 ratio are about 16 megapixel... probably the 4:3 ratio is the full 20 MP...

Attachments

• HorseHouse012x1500.jpg
    HorseHouse012x1500.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 696
Last edited:
Here is a video example...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can "Adjust gimbal roll" in the GO app before you starting shooting video to level the horizon. After that, I got nothin.
Yup... Tried that but does not fix the problem.... Yes you can correct it short term... But a few spins and banked turns and the crooked horizon is back...:mad:

Reactions: Bob Denny
It also takes a long time to get the horizon back after the drift -> around 10-15 seconds :(. Hope a new firmware will help on that. My P3P was rock steady.

Same issue I've had since the third or fourth flight.

All you can do:
1.) Calibrate IMU
2.) Calibrate Gimbal
3.) Adjust Horizon Tilt L or R
4.) Open up the back of the camera housing, make adjustments to the "crank shaft" (idk what its formally called) If you look on youtube, there is a video.

I've done the first three but have yet to operate on the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

What is a cold IMU calibration? If it is what I think, why should the temperature affect the IMU?

I can perform an IMU calibration, reboot, and perform a gimbal calibration. Not even after a calibration, seconds later while the quad is still on the floor, is it horizontal.

...for some sciencey reason, the temperature of your calibration actually affects the time it takes for subsequent boot-ups - a cold calibration has been proven to shorten boot-up times - just don't put in refrigerator as the internal condensation can be fatal!

Msinger thanks really informative video I'd not seen or heard some of the content. Question how does one bookmark theses 'gems' so they can be shared with others in future as you so effectively do? Again thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Fred Guernsey

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic