Gimbal horizon tilt and drift issues

This video explains the cold IMU calibration process.
When I heard him talk about the "cold" IMU cal I scoffed it off as nonsense. He never explains the physics behind it, why would temperature affect the sensors?

Anyway. I followed the steps and believe it or not, it worked. It is not 100% level, but it has at least improved to the point where it's not noticeable if you don't look, hard. That's enough for me. Lets hope it sticks.

Not sure if it was actually thanks to the IMU being cold or just pure luck, but I am grateful for the link. It is definitely worth a try if one is having problems.

When I heard him talk about the "cold" IMU cal I scoffed it off as nonsense. He never explains the physics behind it, why would temperature affect the sensors?

Anyway. I followed the steps and believe it or not, it worked. It is not 100% level, but it has at least improved to the point where it's not noticeable if you don't look, hard. That's enough for me. Lets hope it sticks.

Not sure if it was actually thanks to the IMU being cold or just pure luck, but I am grateful for the link. It is definitely worth a try if one is having problems.
These sensors are in fact analog devices, so temperatuur dependent for a certain measurement readout.
The cold Imu works very well for subsequent startups especially if you have cold wether.
If you make a warm Imu-cal and you start later on in cold wether chances are there that you have to wait minutes before the startup procedure is finished.

Reactions: Dronefriend
There another way to adjust the horizon tilt - well it works on my P3A - hold the S2 button and use the right camera settings dial - that will adjust the the horizon

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Do you mean "C2"? I have not see this feature documented before.

Second day with the new bird and struggling with horizon issues. I've recalibrated the gimbal and tried the in flight manual adjustments, but there is still horizon drift.

This is not too big a deal if it's only a little and especially in mountainous areas, but when it is pancake flat any horizon issues show up.

Tonight I plan a COLD IMU calibration and another gimbal calibration....

Here is an example. (nice ranchette eh?...)

Also for those wondering, the photos in the 16:9 ratio are about 16 megapixel... probably the 4:3 ratio is the full 20 MP...
Have you been able to resolve your drifting horizon tilt issue?

I want to buy a P4P, but I wont until I know that the drifting tilt issue has been fixed to the point of being rare. At least then I have a good chance to get one that stays level or at worst has a static tilt which can be correctly easily.

Every "horizon" thread invariably becomes a list of posts saying to do a cold IMU (perfectly level), gimbal roll adjustment, gimbal calibration, fix it in post, mid-air gimbal calibration, mechanical adjustments, etc. All of these are terrific and valid suggestions for a relatively easy to correct static tilt, but a drifting tilt is completely different. The too common drifting tilt was rarely correctable by the user with prior Phantom models, so I am hoping that with the P4P that this is no longer a concern.

Overall, I don't yet see a ton of complaints about the drift issue so far. I find that encouraging.

Last edited:
...FYI - to combat the drifting tilt I bring the clip into adobe premiere where you can set the tilt at the beginning manually and the end manually and then using key frames you can have the software match the drift throughout the clip - the drawback is the frame will have to be enlarged to avoid black edges where the tilt exposes a blank canvas at the corners and of course the huge pain in the *** to do this! - c'mon DJI, nail this problem down please!!!

Hi guys just bought a new p4p last week and having horizon drift issues on yaw and even left to right movement. It does correct itself after the move but takes time and looks terrible. I have a shoot coming up very soon with a client and do not feel confident with it. I updated FW yesterday and did an IMU calibration but problem persists. From what I am reading it seems that some drones are just bad and need sending back, there is no consistent solution for this am I right?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl