Reaction score
I had a crash landing after clipping some branches about 5 feet off the ground. No props broke or anything like that, but when I sent to start it back up, the gimbal yaw arm flails to the left and right. The roll arm moves up and down as well and the camera moves all around like its having a seizure.

So i researched this issue a lot before posting. I checked the youtube video that phantomhelp lists to check the roll arm and it is perfectly straight. I also checked the yaw arm adjustment screw, which is tight and positioned correctly. I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

My gimbal does the same thing as this guys does, but no one ever helped him figure it out...New to drones and my 1st crash. Gimbal going crazy

Any help or ideas?

Thanks

Have you tried a IMU calibration and/or camera calibration?

Reactions: wwpuller
Look for debris caught in motors of camera. With drone OFF rotate in all directions. Do you feel any sensation of something in gimbal motors?

I just checked them. They all move freely. thats what seem so crazy. THere is no binding or anything.....Thats why i'm so confused......

Let the gimbal completely cool. Turn it on, quickly calibrate camera.

Consider this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yaw arm may be stuck. Loosen set screw on yaw arm, pull arm down SLIGHTLY just to clear plate, re-tighten.

Reactions: Quaccers
Yaw arm method. Read the video description area for actual steps. There must be clearance between arm and plate.:

Last edited:
None of those fixes work for me. This is what I'm dealing with.
I took every thing apart and set all the screws and motors correctly.....
e4b214fad818352e6ec42a096b7e0619.jpg
7de4cf4c4bdb2aca8addfa6a03d5cad4.jpg

I don't know where else to turn. All motors spin freely and there is no grinding sounds.

Sent from my VS987 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you remove any of the gimbal, or yaw, roll, or pitch components, or black ribbon cable before the problem began?
I mean, after the crash.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: yjander
I removed the roll back cover and board. I removed and reattached the black ribbon from the roll board. Then I removed the yaw arm, main board removed all connections and put them back together. I still have the same thing as I did after the crash, the crazy movement....I have not taken the gimbal (camera up and down) apart yet....

If I get a new p3s gimbal assey, will it be plug and play? Will I have to resync the a.c. and the tx?

I removed the roll back cover and board. I removed and reattached the black ribbon from the roll board. Then I removed the yaw arm, main board removed all connections and put them back together. I still have the same thing as I did after the crash, the crazy movement....I have not taken the gimbal (camera up and down) apart yet....

If I get a new p3s gimbal assey, will it be plug and play? Will I have to resync the a.c. and the tx?

I cannot answer about the replacement procedure, sorry.
I asked if you had removed anything, because after a crash, I had a damaged black ribbon cable, and I replaced mine.
Upon completion, my camera did exactly like yours shows in the video.
Turned out that I had inserted the pitch motor shaft into the side of the camera 180° off.
Since you had not removed your camera from the pitch motor shaft, that can't be your issue.
Have you closely inspected the black ribbon cable for even the slightest nick?
Did you check the connection of the black ribbon cable to the pitch motor to make sure that it wasn't pulled out a little?

I cannot answer about the replacement procedure, sorry.
I asked if you had removed anything, because after a crash, I had a damaged black ribbon cable, and I replaced mine.
Upon completion, my camera did exactly like yours shows in the video.
Turned out that I had inserted the pitch motor shaft into the side of the camera 180° off.
Since you had not removed your camera from the pitch motor shaft, that can't be your issue.
Have you closely inspected the black ribbon cable for even the slightest nick?
Did you check the connection of the black ribbon cable to the pitch motor to make sure that it wasn't pulled out a little?

Thanks. I will try and take the pitch motor covering apart to see whats up with the black ribbon cable. I guess I could try and buy a new cable, its a cheap fix if it works, and not too expensive if thats not the problem.....ARGH!!! This thing fell out of tree and broke the camera off of the vibration plate and still worked like a charm. It fell 5 feet onto grass and now its totally screwed up....don't get it!!!

Good luck!
Take note of the position of the
correct positioning of the pitch shaft ("D" shaped at the tip) into the camera, and which way the set screw enters from.

alright, well i never figured out what was wrong with this camera. I broke down and ordered a new camera set. I found a guy on e-bay that had a brand new one taken off a p3s on January 27, 2017. He even included the vibration mounting plate, a new set of drop pins, anti-vibration balls, the two 2.4ghz antennas, gray ribbon cable, and the 8gb SD card. it was a good deal at only 259. It was not in a DJI box, but it is basically brand new. I plugged it in and it fired right up. I just had to relinke the tx to the AC to get the camera controls to work. SO, thats the end of this saga....the camera fell 70 feet out of a tree, broke off the vibration plate, and worked like a charm. It fell 5 feet into grass and it went haywire. go figure.

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
I had the same problem and got it fixed last week. I tried the alignment like the video above with same result. I was about to give up and order a new gimbal when I noticed that my roll motor shaft was upside down. Make sure the flat part of you roll motor shaft is pointing up. Since you have it apart just make sure all of the shafts are aligned properly but the yaw and pitch both have set screws. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem and got it fixed last week. I tried the alignment like the video above with same result. I was about to give up and order a new gimbal when I noticed that my roll motor shaft was upside down. Make sure the flat part of you roll motor shaft is pointing up. Since you have it apart just make sure all of the shafts are aligned properly but the yaw and pitch both have set screws. Hope this helps.

Mine was going nuts after replacing the ribbon cable and sure enough I put the roll shaft backwards. It's flat side is supposed too be the side as the flat side (back of camera) camera.

Mine was going nuts after replacing the ribbon cable and sure enough I put the roll shaft backwards. It's flat side is supposed too be the side as the flat side (back of camera) camera.
Are you sure your not talking about the pitch motor? I replaced my ribbon cable thinking that was the problem and ended up initially putting the set screw in the wrong side of collar that locks the shaft down. Luckily I caught it before I put it all back together. I was so happy when I fixed mine because I had source everywhere online and nobody seemed to have an answer and I was more than happy to share and help out.

Sorry!! Yes the pitch motor. That flat side has to be inline with the flat side of the camera. Then you can put the bolt in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.