Gimbal footage shaky Why??

Reaction score
I've been using the h3-3d for a few weeks now and after a few initial problems I was really pleased with the shoots I was getting from it See below:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adX2FRuacQY[/youtube]

Last night I switched the phantom to naza mode in the assistant so I could test the home lock function as I was flying quite along way off, in case in got disorientated. I also recalibrated the drone too.

Anyway this morning I went out for my first flight with the phantom set in this mode and came back all excited as it was such a beautiful sunny morning and when I came to watch the footage I noticed that there is some slight shaking, which I have never seen on the other footage I have taken??

The weather was completely calm, no wind, so I'm now wondering why the footage is shaky as you will see below:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1lwaECNHiw[/youtube]

Does anyone know why this might be happening :-(

This looks like vibration rather than jello. Here are some things you can try.

I found prop matching (not to be confused with balancing) makes a difference to vibration. Stock DJI props are fairly consistently balanced (mostly) so here is what I do.

1. Download a vibration app for your smart phone, Apple or Android - I'm using Android.

2. If you have several props first fit each blacktop in turn

3. Have the motor being tested with the prop ticking over.

4. Touch the corner of your phone to the underside of the motor while running the app and note the mean or average vibration figure. Take the reading over 30sec or so to get a good average.

5. When you have done this for all your blacktops you will notice the the figures you have noted will vary per prop AND per motor.
6. Put a mark on the prop and matching mark on the arm for your lowest vibration values and always fit that prop to that motor.

5. Do this for each prop and each motor then moving onto the whitetops.

Now you will have the least vibration on each motor.

My vibration values varied from 1.2 to 2.2. Simple matching the right prop to the right motor significantly reduced vibration. What might give a high vibration on one motor quite often when moved to another motor then gave a lower vibration mean.

I am using a 5.4mm lens which is twice the focal length of the stock lens and showed vibration due to the more telephoto effect rather than the stock wide angle one. Hence my journey to read up on how to minimise it. Credit needs given to a post on RCgroups where l first saw this.

I also use a Polarising filter and/or a variable ND filter to reduce jello on bright days. But the gimbal will probably need balanced. Thats another story [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Some folks have tried the differing isolation rubbers and some have also use the soft ear plugs stuffed into the dampening balls centres - I have not had the need to try this yet.

It might be worth trying these techniques. Your mileage may vary of course.

Hope this helps.

As mentioned props and/or isolators. If you're using the white ones, switch to the black (40 degree) ones.

Many thanks IrishSights for the suggestions, I was thinking it looked more like vibrations, I have managed to catch the existing pops a few times in the edge of tree leaves when flying close to them and also on the ground it long grass, so I was wondering if that would cause issues with vibrations?

I have a new set of props, which I will try as my starting point. I also find the landing gear isn't great for landing in grass? I have the wider taller gear on order so hopefully that will help stop the phantom tipping over occasionally on landing. Could you recommend an app for iPhone? I'm still learning, but will pick up an ND filter soon. many people seem to be using the polarpro filters, are there any other options?

[quote="mattpitts74]... Could you recommend an app for iPhone? I'm still learning, but will pick up an ND filter soon. many people seem to be using the polarpro filters, are there any other options?[/quote]
Sorry I'm a Android guy. Any of the vibration apps would probably do. Try the highest rated one. Polar Pro is expensive l believe. l bought a £ 9.99 glass one off eBay for a naked GoPro. It had a 37mm filter ring . So l bought a 37mm lightweight glass variable ND filter which covers all my needs.

IrishSights said:
This looks like vibration rather than jello. Here are some things you can try.

I found prop matching (not to be confused with balancing) makes a difference to vibration. Stock DJI props are fairly consistently balanced (mostly) so here is what I do.

1. Download a vibration app for your smart phone, Apple or Android - I'm using Android.

2. If you have several props first fit each blacktop in turn

3. Have the motor being tested with the prop ticking over.

4. Touch the corner of your phone to the underside of the motor while running the app and note the mean or average vibration figure. Take the reading over 30sec or so to get a good average.

5. When you have done this for all your blacktops you will notice the the figures you have noted will vary per prop AND per motor.
6. Put a mark on the prop and matching mark on the arm for your lowest vibration values and always fit that prop to that motor.

5. Do this for each prop and each motor then moving onto the whitetops.

Now you will have the least vibration on each motor.

My vibration values varied from 1.2 to 2.2. Simple matching the right prop to the right motor significantly reduced vibration. What might give a high vibration on one motor quite often when moved to another motor then gave a lower vibration mean.

I am using a 5.4mm lens which is twice the focal length of the stock lens and showed vibration due to the more telephoto effect rather than the stock wide angle one. Hence my journey to read up on how to minimise it. Credit needs given to a post on RCgroups where l first saw this.

I also use a Polarising filter and/or a variable ND filter to reduce jello on bright days. But the gimbal will probably need balanced. Thats another story [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Some folks have tried the differing isolation rubbers and some have also use the soft ear plugs stuffed into the dampening balls centres - I have not had the need to try this yet.

It might be worth trying these techniques. Your mileage may vary of course.

Hope this helps.

I am going to try your advise too ,but a I have a question:
What do you mean by ticking over ? To run the motor at idle speed with the prop attached ?

Thanks

Yes

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl