Gimbal behavior when picthed/rolled >45(ish) degrees

Reaction score
Is it "normal" for the P2V+ gimbal to sort of "die" and point downward when the A/C is pitched or rolled excessively? I know this won't happen in normal flight, but if you simply turn on the battery and manually start moving the body around at those angles, the gimbal (on my P2V+) does this, and it's somewhat disturbing not knowing if it's normal. I can see why it would be a good idea, since those angles would most likely be consistent with an imminent crash while airborne, and perhaps the gimbal is just trying to protect itself, but it's disconcerting not knowing if it's the intended behavior.

Do they all do this?

Re: Gimbal behavior when piched/rolled over 45(ish) degrees

varmint said:
Is it "normal" for the P2V+ gimbal to sort of "die" and point downward when the A/C is pitched or rolled excessively? I know this won't happen in normal flight, but if you simply turn on the battery and manually start moving the body around at those angles, the gimbal (on my P2V+) does this, and it's somewhat disturbing not knowing if it's normal. I can see why it would be a good idea, since those angles would most likely be consistent with an imminent crash while airborne, and perhaps the gimbal is just trying to protect itself, but it's disconcerting not knowing if it's the intended behavior.

Do they all do this?

Video?

Don't have mine yet to compare, but that looks weird. It seems to be going limp, but when it does you seem to be tilted past angles you would experience during "normal" flight.

Re: Gimbal behavior when piched/rolled over 45(ish) degrees

varmint said:
MikesTooLz said:
can you post a video of exactly what its doing?

Ugh, I guess that means it's not normal:(
http://www.vrsimulations.com/downloads/Gimbaldeath.MOV

Note how the gimbal just "dies" when I bank/pitch more than about 45 degrees. Nobody else's + does this?

That's very reminiscent of Zenmuse going into "hibernate mode" when in high winds or hard banking at high speeds.

Dirty Bird said:
Don't have mine yet to compare, but that looks weird. It seems to be going limp, but when it does you seem to be tilted past angles you would experience during "normal" flight.

Yes, the angles are definitely the kinds you'd be at if you were in trouble. It could be the gimbal protecting itself, which I would totally understand. I just hope it's supposed to be doing that...

Yes, when you reach that angle it goes into hibernation mode as to no stress the motors to much.

The good thing is that it springs right back to life, the H3-2D had to be manually brought back to life.

I notice they've added a note, top of page 15, to "Keep the power-on gimbal system still and horizontally during test. If you have to hold and move the aircraft with power-on gimbal, the inclination angle of the aircraft should not exceed 35°."
This is in the area where you are asked to test the function of the gimbal. We know that an extreme tip will cause hibernation mode. So, then the test would end...
Hibernation mode is still discussed in the new manual, so you have to assume protection from stressing the motors is still in effect.
Presumably that's because the gimbal motors will be stressed beyond that angle. But how are you supposed to accomplish the compass calibration dance which requires you to hold the Phantom vertically face-down?
I turn my H3-2D on for compass calibration (early model, latest firmware) and it does go into hibernation mode during the process. Resetting is easy for me because the H3-2D is on separate power (& a switch). So all I do is cycle the power and my gimbal wakes up.

MikesTooLz said:
Yes, when you reach that angle it goes into hibernation mode as to no stress the motors to much.

The good thing is that it springs right back to life, the H3-2D had to be manually brought back to life.

Very nice, thanks much for clearing that up:) It's probably a RTFM thing, but I hadn't seen it, so thanks again.

Well the good news is it returns to normal operation when the angle is < its failsafe gimbal protection threshold. I like the fact that it protects itself. Way to go DJI!!! So who cares if it is limp during vertical compass cal? I don't.

oops Mike already commented on the good news.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4