Getting my P3S Thursday, quad newbie looking for advice.

Reaction score
as I am a quad newbie I have to ask for advice before my P3S comes in Thursday. What would you recommend for me/recommend against when it comes to effectively operating the P3S? Accessories to get: to avoid. What is the Litchi app? Just looking for overall advice for beginners...thanks!

You can find a lot of tips and commonly used accessories at PhantomHelp.com. Litchi is an alternative to DJI GO. It would be a good idea to start with DJI GO and try other 3rd party apps after you master that. Depending on what you plan to do with your Phantom, DJI GO might do everything you need it to do.

My first month I took it to an open field and went real slow. Had it on Beginner mode the first two flights. Then disabled that but put distance\altitude limits making sure it was always in eyesight. Once I got comfortable with that, I opened it up. For me personally GPS mode mode with RTH is just fine for now. I may or may not ever put it in Atti mode.

The main thing is to move the controller sticks slow and easy and don't panic. Let it hover if you need to think about what you're going to do next etc.

I got a backpack to travel. Heading to NY in two weeks and can't wait to fly it there. A parabolic antenna booster more than doubled my distance. You can pick one up for around $8.

Once you get your Phantom, take your time getting started. Read the manual front to back. Then do it again. There is a lot of important information you need to know before you fly. While you are waiting for your bird to arrive, check out msinger's site 'Phantomhelp.com'. It has a bunch of useful information on everything Phantom. Be sure to select the appropriate box at the top of the page for your P3S. Also, msinger is a regular on Phantompilots.

And, if you search the site and still have questions, just ask away. There are many other pilots on PhantomPilots that will help answer your questions. Fly Safe !! ...and Welcome!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Thebigman
You can find a lot of tips and commonly used accessories at PhantomHelp.com. Litchi is an alternative to DJI GO. It would be a good idea to start with DJI GO and try other 3rd party apps after you master that. Depending on what you plan to do with your Phantom, DJI GO might do everything you need it to do.

QuickDraw, you beat me to it! [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: msinger
Hi just a couple of tips..keep quad in beginner mode for a while and learn to fly in maybe in a quiet people free area (no distractions then) don't fly over water, and watch the wind, if it is strong don't fly! like anything the more you fly the better pilot you will become. enjoy

As said, read the instructions over and over. You can leave the props off and play with controls in your home. Look at the checklists on this site as they are very usefull. Might be worth learning how to alter how the control sticks respond, I have my % fairly low so nothing happens too fast.
Wind is a big fun killer, look at tops of trees and you will see how it changes with height.
Never never never use both sticks to stop the props, its a bad habit to learn and if you accidentally do it while flying you can kiss your birdie bye bye.
Stay in beginner mode
Watch out for power lines, telephone wires etc
Set your return to home at a higher height than you think reasonable, saves getting caught out by terrain height variations and rogue trees.

as I am a quad newbie I have to ask for advice before my P3S comes in Thursday. What would you recommend for me/recommend against when it comes to effectively operating the P3S? Accessories to get: to avoid. What is the Litchi app? Just looking for overall advice for beginners...thanks!
The best advice is DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!! JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!!

Reactions: Biggle
Have you not seen like every other post on the forums about people who have had problems with upgrading? And how do you downgrade, and my range sucks. I have v 1.2 and will never upgrade, and my range is almost 2 miles.

Have you not seen like every other post on the forums about people who have had problems with upgrading?
Yes, I've seen many firmware-related posts and have helped many people with firmware installation issues (mostly caused by user error). The problems you're referring to represent a very small number of Phantom owners. Many people fear firmware updates simply because people like you put that fear into their heads.

Reactions: Roguesixx
Yes, I've seen many firmware-related posts and have helped many people with firmware installation issues (mostly caused by user error). The problems you're referring to represent a very small number of Phantom owners. Many people fear firmware updates simply because people like you put that fear into their heads.
Hey, if your drone works great, and does everything you need it to do, then why mess with it? Moving up to the newest thing isn't always the greatest thing to do. (Samsung Note 7)

Reactions: Matt09 and Biggle
Fortunately for you, firmware updates are optional. That allows those with great unfounded fears to ignore the updates. IMHO, it's a great idea to install firmware updates after they are known to be stable.

Reactions: Roguesixx
My first month I took it to an open field and went real slow. Had it on Beginner mode the first two flights. Then disabled that but put distance\altitude limits making sure it was always in eyesight. Once I got comfortable with that, I opened it up. For me personally GPS mode mode with RTH is just fine for now. I may or may not ever put it in Atti mode.

The main thing is to move the controller sticks slow and easy and don't panic. Let it hover if you need to think about what you're going to do next etc.

I got a backpack to travel. Heading to NY in two weeks and can't wait to fly it there. A parabolic antenna booster more than doubled my distance. You can pick one up for around $8.
You talk about the booster for $8 doubling your distance. Is this for a P3S and if so where did you buy it at???
Thx
jcrawford

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic