Getting my P3S Thursday, quad newbie looking for advice.

Buy a toy brushless quad for 50bux and learn how to fly.....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
A big +1 to this, as excited you are to fly you p3, buy a cheap quad to learn with, they bounce better and after a couple of flights you then move to the p3, my p3 is my 4th quad... i would hate to fly it as my first as i hit the ground a few times before getting the hang of it, when i pass the controller of my cheerson cx 20 across to people i see everyone make the same mistake, loose orientation and go left instead of right etc... its a lot to take in when a newbie pilot

You talk about the booster for $8 doubling your distance. Is this for a P3S and if so where did you buy it at???
Thx
jcrawford
These should help for operating your phantom at farther distances, but won't help on video signal and telemetry.

Same concept as the windsurfer, better made and I little larger, covers more of the antenna for reflecting the signal.
DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

http://www.phantompilots.com/search/17314190/?q=windsurfer&t=post&o=relevance&c[user][0]=26059

Rod

The best advice is DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!! JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!!

Best advice given - I'd add to that don't update your app either unless you wait for a stable firmware veraion that works well with it. Lots of issues with large and response for folks upgrading their app and sticking with a lower firmware version like iOS 3.0.X and 1.5.7

Reactions: makokiller
The antenna is one thing but you can get an amplified signal booster from hobbyking (global warehouse) for about $22 aud but it requires you to open your remote and do a bit of tinkering
Just look on youtube for step by step instructions

I had no troubles with my first P3S out of the box. Just take it easy, make sure you have return to home on and the altitude for that set appropriately, and leave it in beginner mode for a while.

And make sure you follow the calibration instructions to the letter.

And definitely do not show off and end up slamming it into a huge oak tree like I did lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

The best advice is DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!! JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!!
Just curious, what is the best version, in your opinion to be on? I am going to check mine and if I am not there I am going to try and go back. If I do need to go back I will probably need to research how to do that. I do recall a thread somewhere talking about it. I was reading this thread and saw your reply to it and thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

Just curious, what is the best version, in your opinion to be on? I am going to check mine and if I am not there I am going to try and go back. If I do need to go back I will probably need to research how to do that. I do recall a thread somewhere talking about it. I was reading this thread and saw your reply to it and thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!
I am on version 1.2.4

What version are you on?
Trying to figure that out right now. When I go into DJI Go and click on the controller icon, then click on the three dots at the bottom, then about it tells me App is 2.8.3, but the aircraft version says n/a. I am trying to find the sd card that had the file on it, but as you know we shuffle between sd cards.

I do have them both on, and linked. Props are not on, never put them on when powering up indoors ;)

Strange indeed. I select the three dots at the top right of the GoApp screen, then scrolling to the bottom and selecting "about" it will list my version.

And my props are off inside as well. Had an encounter with a ceiling fan once that was not fun.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Paul A Byers
I think you have to have the bird and the r/c powered on for the aircraft version to be listed in the GoApp. Be careful though. Don't start the props.

I just did a search on the forum for firmware version and a member named phantomhelp stated in a thread that the only firmware version shown in DJI Go is the controller firmware. He said that if the aircraft/battery firmware was out of date that you would get a message telling that a firmware upgrade is required. So, that must mean that I am on one of these hokey new versions of the firmware that everyone is complaining about because my app tells me firmware is of the latest version.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I just did a search on the forum for firmware version and a member named phantomhelp stated in a thread that the only firmware version shown in DJI Go is the controller firmware. He said that if the aircraft/battery firmware was out of date that you would get a message telling that a firmware upgrade is required. So, that must mean that I am on one of these hokey new versions of the firmware that everyone is complaining about because my app tells me firmware is of the latest version.

Oh, ok. I'm still on the 1.5.70 and plan on staying there til hell freezes over, or it won't fly without an update.

Maybe you could downgrade?

Best advice I can give you is, Stay in GPS mode and if you feel like you are in trouble where you can't seem to get it to come back to you don't touch the sticks and let it hover and then either regain yourself and fly back or use RTH.

I also recommend like the others buying a cheaper quad to fly to get use to the controls. I own and flew lots of drones and to me you have to be an idiot to crash a P3 but still take a cheaper quadcopter out to fly around first.

Try always to fly in the middle of the air.......:) The edges of the air are defined by the presence of mountains/hills/trees/buildings and worst of all the ground and other people........:).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic