Getting challenged by someone while flying

Edit

Sorry- I just thought that bald eagle with a glasses/nose was funny.

Back on topic- I really would consult a local attorney. Things like this seem to differ greatly depending on where you live in the US, a friend in the know is your best bet. Ask around and find someone you trust and explain the situation. I'm sure you can find some ways to pursue your passion and not get harassed. There's room for everyone. You could be a **** and report every little thing within the confines of the law if you wanted, but you don't. Live and let live.

There are better options that will achieve the same result. I mean, at the end of the day, we're all here for the same reason.

Let's find a way to fly without BS.

Last edited:
Getting challenged by someone while flying
back to topic.gif

Reactions: Reed L
I had an experience like that, made a thread about it too. First flight out also. This guy grabbed the ac after landing and his wife was berating me for a good 5 minutes in my face before that.

He had no right to take your property and that's a good way to get his 4ss whooped.

1. Be polite even if it hurts.
2. If they are open to discussion, try to educate (assuming you are in the right)
3. Stand your ground if practical. Starting a fight in a remote area when you are distracted trying to fly, won't end well for someone. Probably you. Avoid it if possible.
4. Live to fight another day. Its best if you can convince them to back off but if its a dangerous situation, loss of life and property probably won't be worth being right and sticking it out.
5. If you are confident in your position, the cops can be your friend. Harassment is also a crime. Be sure to let the guy know that while he's threatening to call the cops.

"Criminal Harassment Definition: Unsolicited annoying, alarming or abusive conduct or words which are threatening, and which are prohibited by law."

Reactions: BigAl07
call the park or send email asking clarification before going out, so when some idiot starts you have ammunition. to shut them up.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
I've seen the comment 'Its our job to educate the public' repetitively on this forum and others. Is it? Why should I waste my valuable time trying to educate people on a subject they likely won't understand anyway? My time is valuable. I don't want to waste it trying to suede the masses. The majority won't listen anyway.

Maybe the companies raking in millions in profit, such as DJI, should take on that responsibility. Bring more people around and your sure to sell more product. Let them make attempts to educate sheeple, I don't have that kind of free time. If I did, the time would be better spent educating them on the evils of NATO, Obama, artificial sweeteners, and the likes. People in general don't want to be educated, they live in a bubble and like it. Don't try to pop it, that could be dangerous.

Reactions: firepol
I've seen the comment 'Its our job to educate the public' repetitively on this forum and others. Is it? Why should I waste my valuable time trying to educate people on a subject they likely won't understand anyway? My time is valuable. I don't want to waste it trying to suede the masses. The majority won't listen anyway.

Maybe the companies raking in millions in profit, such as DJI, should take on that responsibility. Bring more people around and your sure to sell more product. Let them make attempts to educate sheeple, I don't have that kind of free time. ( Inappropriate content removed ). People in general don't want to be educated, they live in a bubble and like it. Don't try to pop it, that could be dangerous.
what a waist

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, Autel HQ

Flushing_toilet.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPad using Phabulous PhantomPilots mobile app

I did have a lady stop and tell me not to fly over her house so I ask which house she said wasn't going to tell me then ask if I had faa number and could see it then I ask if she had a drivers license I can see she drove off as my drone followed her car 200 feet up in air

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
I did have a lady stop and tell me not to fly over her house so I ask which house she said wasn't going to tell me then ask if I had faa number and could see it then I ask if she had a drivers license I can see she drove off as my drone followed her car 200 feet up in air
So she doesn't want you to fly over her house.....but she refuses to tell you which house it is? Still laughing my *** off at that one. [emoji3]

Where do you find these people?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had a guy approach me today while flying at a state park insisting what I was doing was illegal and threatening to call the park police.

I had previously done quite a bit of research and found some restrictions in some state parks in NY that require permits but not the one I was at. The parks website had a long list of restrictions but nothing on the subject of any hobby aircraft.

He was pretty persistent and insisting he would call the police even though I was quite certain I was right.

It shook me up and after he walked away I didn't want to be distracted and crash or something so I landed and left.

Has anyone experienced something like this? What is he best way to be prepared for a challenge about legality from a stranger?

Basically by leaving you told the guy that he was right and you were wrong. People! Stop getting bullied by ignorant fools

So she doesn't want you to fly over her house.....but she refuses to tell you which house it is? Still laughing my *** off at that one. [emoji3]

Where do you find these people?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
plus she ask if it had a camera on it did see she lives 3 blocks away always make it a habit to fly over her house at night with leds going off

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Maybe the companies raking in millions in profit, such as DJI, should take on that responsibility. Bring more people around and your sure to sell more product. Let them make attempts to educate sheeple, I don't have that kind of free time. ( Inappropriate content removed )People in general don't want to be educated, they live in a bubble and like it. Don't try to pop it, that could be dangerous.

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. One of the greatest joys of this hobby has been sharing and teaching. I've been "doing this" for over 40+ years and you'd be surprised how many people have been intrigued and fascinated once they were allowed to come up and really see what's going on. I've had the pleasure of teaching several other people to fly after they came up and started a conversation about the hobby. We spend the time to share our experience with hands on demonstrations. They get to see our joy and enthusiasm and it's very contagious and they often want to experience it over and over again.

If you don't want to be a positive impression that's your choice but IMHO it's a very poor and selfish choice. I cant tell you this much... if every other UAS operator had your attitude this hobby/industry would be very short lived. The main strength of our industry is our open community and willingness to share/teach others about our passion. Sharing is HUGE in our industry.

To each their own but like it or not every time you go out and fly you are a poster child for our hobby for good or bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20