Getting challenged by someone while flying

Keep in mind that our wonderful MEDIA has created this Charlie Foxtrot. They have created they fear and hysteria when none is needed.

Your best bet would be to be calm, polite, and kill him with kindness. If you truly feel like you were in the right by all means ask him to call Lawn Enforcement and let it be a learning experience for everyone. It's good to have registration handy and it's also a good idea to have a copy of the KnowBeforeYouFly >>>>>>"guidelines"<<<<<<< to show what you fly by. A little bit of support materials goes a long way to show that you care and you're prepared.

Lets not turn this into a I carry thread :)

Would that happen here? This is a Phantom Pilots thread... shut your mouth... no way.. not possible.... not AGAIN

Ha ha ha ha ha :)

Would that happen here? This is a Phantom Pilots thread... shut your mouth... no way.. not possible.... not AGAIN

Ha ha ha ha ha :)
Only occasionally BigA and ya know where they always end up .:)

Only occasionally BigA and ya know where they always end up .:)

Yep starts out harmless and next thing you know . . .

Flushing_toilet.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
Open carry

I thought it was a pertinent remark. The fact that the individual approached you and basically attempted to enforce a nonexistent law makes him an aggressor. In my experience, most of those types are cowards, the rest are usually violent. Not that I think flying in a public area is worth any type of physical confrontation, but open carry tends to deter these types of situations.

Besides that, less interruptions during fly time.

OK guys . No more inappropriate post in this or It will go to OT .
Thanks

I always wear my faa registration on a lanyard, easy to see. That wouldn't do much for a ( EXPLETIVE REMOVED )but if LE was called it would certainly be something they might ask about, which I can produce, and with which they would back off the **** head. It sucks being harassed. It happened to me once and even if you're completely within your rights, it spoils the outing. Then you sit home and mull over the incident and get pissed that someone did that. Keep in mind that it's in your best interest to calmly land and not get into it with them unless a reasonable and calm conversation can take place. Maybe they're willing to stand corrected, maybe not. Right fighting is rarely worth the trouble. Those types are the minority, in my experience. In all my flying in public and private places, 99% of the general public and 100% of law enforcement has been hugely positive and supportive. How you dress and act as well as wearing your registration goes a long way. You'll fly another day and soon forget about the schmuck. Have fun and fly safely out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had an experience like yours but when curious onlookers approach I handle it politely and invite them to watch. As someone mentioned before there is a lot of bad information out there especially published by the media. Many pilots have to overcome that stigma and confront those misinformed. We are all ambassadors to drone flight and aerial photography and we have a responsibility to educate the public.

Allow me to share this brief story. As a member of the community parks board I took a scenic photo of a park slated for improvement. The photo did included many houses near the park to give it a community feel. The image was published for the homeowners to see. I received overwhelming community support as many had never seen the subdivision from that vantage point. As you may have guessed it I had one homeowner who, although she loved the photo, was concerned of privacy and a lack of notification prior to the image being taken. Although the image was taken over 300 ft up in the air she felt it was equivalent to me walking up to her fence and taking photographs into her window. I have to say I didn't expect the outpouring of community support and she later backed down.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466771006.147739.jpg

You should have took a screenshot from street view from Google Earth of her house and showed her . That would have made her more aware .
Looked at mine and am in it pushing a wheelbarrow for my wife in it .
Hate it , now folks can see me really doing some work. Not good for my image .

I was harassed the same way. Flying at a soccer field, guy doing landscaping for a company across street made sure I heard it when he said " fly that thing over my house and I'll shoot it down." So when I left later he took a pic of my car. I turned around and asked him why he did that. He got into the whole privacy thing. I asked him if I was invading his personal privacy flying by flying square patterns around a parking lot at ten feet. He was a little flustered. We talked for a half hour, and I educated him on the laws and rules, and he finally came around to see that a drone is a tool, that can be used for good or evil. Like any tool, like a gun even. He finally backed down and said it seemed okay, he just didn't like them flying right over his house. I said I didn't like it much either. But shooting a weapon in city limits has many other problems too!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I saw on the news, some guy has a bald eagle trained to knock down drones. Get this: animal rights activist say the props could cut the feet of the eagle and the owner of the eagle says; no the props aren't strong enough to cut the feet or legs of an eagle. He says he will have his eagle take the drones of anyone flying where they shouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I saw on the news, some guy has a bald eagle trained to knock down drones. Get this: animal rights activist say the props could cut the feet of the eagle and the owner of the eagle says; no the props aren't strong enough to cut the feet or legs of an eagle. He says he will have his eagle take the drones of anyone flying where they shouldn't.

I didn't know you could own a bald eagle.

Reactions: Pharm
print out the restrictions you found and hand it to the guy next time and by all means tell him to call police then you can hand them a copy too
Yes do this don't let this guy stop you from flying

It's funny because in those tests the drone is immediately "immobilized" by the aircraft operator as soon as the eagle has it in possession. I'm pretty sure the GPS and other systems on board are going to go into OVER drive trying to upright the aircraft and counter the "Eagle attack". Those tests are far from Real-World scenarios and I can pretty much bet that some of our props are strong enough to do some damage to the bird. Maybe not all but some YES.

This is why they make the razor sharp stainless props with anti-eagle hub :)
14-jpg_528_poster.png

Reactions: flpholt

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj