Getterbacks saved my phantom 2 this time - in flight video!

Reaction score
Folks, you may recall my previous thread about losing my phantom to a WiFi flyaway (did not read the fine print, pilot error) in 80' of water. Well, this time I was shooting another regatta and the new one went into auto-land at about 25% battery, unfortunately, I was flying from a 9.9 HP pontoon boat and had moved quite a ways away. The good news is, I had installed a couple "getterbacks" on it and they saved the day! The phantom is now drying out. I suspect the hero3 black is toast, but I am guessing the phantom may only need minor repair. We will know this afternoon.

Here is the video of the water landing.... http://youtu.be/Nlo8m7p1YR8

I'm now a believer in getterbacks! www.getterback.com

sj

Re: Getterbacks saved my phantom 2 this time - in flight vid

if you toggle s1 switch from gps to atti and return it to gps you override the return home function and gain control of the quad, youll have enough time to land it ;-)

Wow - that's impressive! I have to confess that I was sceptical about how effective they'd be, but you've convinced me.

Hope your Phantom dries out OK. With it being a fresh-water lake, you should hopefully be OK.

chapsrlz said:
if you toggle s1 switch from gps to atti and return it to gps you override the return home function and gain control of the quad, youll have enough time to land it ;-)

Wish I had known that yesterday! Thanks for that info! I was going to ask that question next.

sj

I have had a Getterback mounted on my Phantom since I got it. I was sure to have a GPS tracker and the Getterback on my bird before I flew it for a little insurance for my investment. Glad to hear it worked for you and you were able to get your bird back.

Just a observation (unfortunately from experience)... it typically takes longer than 24 hours to dry out electronics. Those sneaky little droplets hug to places you don't expect and can't see. Stuffing in a sealed bag of rice is the old wives tale of how to dry them out quickly. Oh... and if you'd been flying a Vision, you would've gotten a pop-up message on your FPV warning of the RTH, with a button allowing you to abort it. Seems a little more intuitive, especially in a panic, than toggling the switch.

But awesome that the Getterbacks work! I'd been wondering

I put the sensitive electronics in a sealed bag full of Silica Gel (obtained from a hobby store). The Phantom has the top off and after using a compressor to get rid of all the standing water, it has been sitting in front of an A/C vent for 24 hours. It will be very dry I suspect - but will find out soon enough!

We actually tested a getterback on an old piece of pipe and it did not work, so I was really happy when both of them popped to the surface. BTW, the weight capability of these things is WAY more than the 10lbs stated by the manufacturer. As long as the Velcro holds, you could pull up an Oldsmobile with that strong line. I might add a little glue to the velcro next time...

Thanks!

sj

Good save!

I was never quite sure about the orientation of my geterback for fear straight up might get tangled in the slow turning props?

cubdriver said:
I put the sensitive electronics in a sealed bag full of Silica Gel (obtained from a hobby store). The Phantom has the top off and after using a compressor to get rid of all the standing water, it has been sitting in front of an A/C vent for 24 hours. It will be very dry I suspect - but will find out soon enough!

Nice. Sounds like you're doing it all right!

Good to know about the 10# test line, too. Wonder if they upgraded it, or they just under-marketed the capability to avoid liability.

Navman, the props are LONG stopped before the getterbacks deploy.... I pointed mine up.

Professor, I think the weight limit is more the velcro than the line, and CYA from a legal point...

sj

Oooops... You're right, forgot about the time delay on geterback :mrgreen:

cubdriver said:
Navman, the props are LONG stopped before the getterbacks deploy.... I pointed mine up.

Professor, I think the weight limit is more the velcro than the line, and CYA from a legal point...

sj

Second one to go into the lake. Reads like you should stay away from lakes. That is unless you are getting thousands for your videos.
I have a Getterback also. Good to read they work....

Navman said:
Good save!

I was never quite sure about the orientation of my geterback for fear straight up might get tangled in the slow turning props?
In the event of a water landing I am assuming a Phantom will turn upside-down due to the weight so I the pointed part on mine is down. I also ran a strong line through the hole at the top and attached it to the Phantom just in case. They can take up to 10 minutes or so for the chemical reaction to take place sending the bobber to the surface. Cheap insurance at about $15.

LuvMyTJ said:
In the event of a water landing I am assuming a Phantom will turn upside-down due to the weight so I the pointed part on mine is down. I also ran a strong line through the hole at the top and attached it to the Phantom just in case. They can take up to 10 minutes or so for the chemical reaction to take place sending the bobber to the surface. Cheap insurance at about $15.
Don't plug up that hole. It looks like that is where the water gets in.

Three?? How do you figure a Phantom will fit into 3 bags?

Oh. Duh. lol! Yeah... 3x the provided contents, rather than 3x the provided bags.
Got it.

Goldmagnet said:
Hi

Buy 3 of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reviveaphone-Wa ... B008KOYVF8

They remove the waterborne minerals that do the damage, they work very well.

Good luck.

Cheers

Huw

Actually, just go to your favorite hobby store and get Silica Gel for $15.00 for five pounds. Same stuff, much cheaper because it is made to dry flowers with, not save iPhones.

It saved my mini OSD and video transmitter, but not my go pro...

Jury is still out on the phantom. Powered up, but IMU might have gotten clobbered. Advanced cal a the moment.

sj

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl