Getterbacks saved my phantom 2 this time - in flight video!

Re: Getterbacks saved my phantom 2 this time - in flight vid

I fly around the water90 percent of the time,
Keep a can of ELECTRA CLEAN it will displace the water instantly and save a lot of work

cubdriver said:
Wish I had known that yesterday! Thanks for that info! I was going to ask that question next.

No disrespect, but how could you not have known that? I am seeing too many people having things like this happen to because they don't have information they should have.

I am not going to tell you to read the manual but I do suggest that you watch every youtube video you can. There is tons of information out there they will save you from losing you quad. I probably watch 50 plus videos before I took my first flight. Just a suggestion for you to consider.

ATOMSK said:
has anyone tried WaterBuoy's

http://www.water-buoy.com/

Yes... they were discussed/compared a couple of days ago.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23649

It sounds like the weight of the Phantom is such that it drags them down deeper than 9' faster than they can handle, and the don't have enough power to inflate against the pressure at that depth.

I've repaired a lot of damaged electronics over the years. Used to dive at Copper Cove on the Colorado River for lost cameras and camcorders. Rice is cheap and does the same thing silica does in absorbing up the moisture. I don't recommend any sprays as it forces water into places you may not want. Put the unit out in the sun and let nature do it's thing. I never had issues with minerals in the water, even in hard water areas. The worst thing for liquids vs electronics is soda like Coke.

ATOMSK said:
has anyone tried WaterBuoy's

http://www.water-buoy.com/

There is a video on YouTube where they tested them in 40' of water. They failed to work because they lack sufficient gas pressure to fully inflate the balloon to achieve buoyancy. They tested twice (two per test) and they failed both times.

Hi

Pure water evaporates leaving no residue. Water in lakes has a high mineral content, after the water is gone is leaves a thin layer of salts and minerals, and its these that do the real damage. Even if it works when dry, without cleaning the minerals away the life span of your boards will be dramatically reduced. Have a look on the links below.

http://rescuetechinfo.com/how-to-handle ... lectronics
http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/ ... ipment.pdf

If you just want to dry it out then fine, but the fact of the matter is if you want it to last more than a few months afterwards it will need cleaning. This is especially true of electronics that has a lot of surface mount components (like the DJI).

Just want to help by making sure you get the correct advice.

Cheers

Huw

THanks for the info Goldmagnet, all my recoveries have been in rivers. Good to know about the minerals in lake water.

b07aff308fbc0fa753e71a4b2b9368c8.jpg
3c618d4ccc2d65bb5295834a9f4068c6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I've mounted mine thusly with a spot of krazy glue on the fixed end as well as the velcro. Phantom still fits into hard cased mould and I am hoping at least on will deploy no matter what angle it settles on the bottom. Hopefully the aircraft is still reasonably balanced as well.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Fwiw i had a camera i dropped in the ocean. I did all the stabdard drying stuff to no avail. Went and bought a new camera. The 3month later i tried it again and lo and behold it works. So even if ut doesn.t work put it aside in a warm spot and try again a few months later. U never know ur luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31