Geo fencing summary?

Reaction score
Ive been following the numerous posts about the Geo fencing topics. I find it confusing but have come to the following assumptions. Go App 2.5.1 will set up your device for geo fencing restrictions. This will not change anything on the remote or aircraft firmware. The FW that will do that, 1.7, is still in beta. So if I have 2.5.1 on one device but keep 2.4.3 on another, I will be able to avoid the NFZ restrictions? If I eventually update everything I will need to get authorization for yellow zones, a fairly easy thing to do as long as there is internet connection available. Also saw something about getting advance aothorization that last for 3 days, great for going somewhere where internet is not accessible. So, this is how I see the situation. Am I correct or lost? Thanks guys.

Reactions: Jumping
Ive been following the numerous posts about the Geo fencing topics. I find it confusing but have come to the following assumptions. Go App 2.5.1 will set up your device for geo fencing restrictions. This will not change anything on the remote or aircraft firmware. The FW that will do that, 1.7, is still in beta. So if I have 2.5.1 on one device but keep 2.4.3 on another, I will be able to avoid the NFZ restrictions? If I eventually update everything I will need to get authorization for yellow zones, a fairly easy thing to do as long as there is internet connection available. Also saw something about getting advance aothorization that last for 3 days, great for going somewhere where internet is not accessible. So, this is how I see the situation. Am I correct or lost? Thanks guys.
You are correct.

Can you help me a little here. I am not a software person and would appreciate the "for dummy's" version. By "device", does the OP mean "mobil device" such a phone or tablet? Something that downloads and runs DJI GO app? Then FW (firm ware?) of version 1.7 - are you referencing control software provided by DJI and downloaded on our Phantom? Is the software provided by DJI and downloaded on the remote controller and the battery also considered FW? If the FW version is 1.7, is that describing the controlling software on 1) the aircraft, 2) the remote controller and 3) the battery? Or do they have their own FW versions? Can or should the RC and battery FW be updated / modified separately from the aircraft FW? Must or may an aircraft FW update like 1.7 automatically update the RC and the battery?

This is difficult as I am between P3s just now and cannot view the "about" screen in DJI GO. My new P3A arrives soon but what versions are installed are unknown. I need to know what to update or leave static. I have read the many threads about 1.5, battery shutdown, geofence, etc. but seek clarification of terms. I may not even understand enough to ask the right questions!

Thanks for the help and any advice on my choices.

There are three different "version" numbers.

DJI GO is the app that runs on your phone/tablet. If is now at version 2.5. That is a "software" version number. When referencing "device" it _usually_ means your phone/tablet that runs DJI Go and connects to the Phantom.

Both the Phantom and the Remote Controller have firmware which is periodically updated.
I forget what the RC firmware number is at the moment.
The actual Phantom is at firmware 1.6.

1.7, when available, will be installed on the Phantom (part that flies). Based on the beta, 1.7 is scheduled to have the geofence system active.

When updating to 1.7 phantom firmware, it may or may not be required or advisable to update to a newer version of DJI Go and or RC firmware.

The "smart" battery also runs its own firmware. When updating firmware on the bird, that update may or may not include an update for the battery. The update for 1.6 FW did update the battery and instructions for this were included in the 1.6 upgrade information.

Both RC and phantom unit are upgraded during separate processes.

If your Phantom has 1.5 FW, it is advisable to upgrade to 1.6. That was supposed to address the serious battery shutdown issue. 1.6 does not include geofence... it is simply a "fixed" 1.5 that updates both bird and battery.

Reactions: Jumping and bbfpv
but keep 2.4.3 on another, I will be able to avoid the NFZ restrictions?
There are some red NFZ's in the 2.4.3 app. I think DJI slipped them in even earlier when they were leading us to believe that the update was to help cold battery failure. I have no clue how it works but the red zones show up on on a radius of about 45 miles around my location. I have red zones over some of the local airfields that have no tower or services and are used primarily for crop dusting but the zone barely cover the airfield. I see no yellow zones nor is there a red zone over our local International airport which does have a tower. If I pan out to anywhere else such as Indy or even Washington DC, I see no red zones. It all appears to hinge on your location.

Tried playing with the Advanced Authorization settings I found on the DJI site. Basically you pick a yellow area and submit it for a 3 day OK. It asks to in out your serial number and says it can be found in the Ho app über the "snot" menu. It is not there in mine. I have 2.4.3. Is it available if I update to 2.5.1 ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers