Genuine dji 12v charger - genuinely rubbish

Reaction score
I purchased the official 12v charger for my phantom 3 batteries @£60! - wow what a disappointment.

First issue - the battery connector is so poorly fitting and falls off/comes sufficiently off the battery for charging to stop.

Secondly - and the most annoying, it only appears to run off 13v, so will only charge while the battery bank is being charged @ 13v+

Seeing as I purchased it to charge the battery off grid in my Motorhome off a 110amp leisure battery, leaving the engine running for house isn't an option and I can leaving it charging while in the move as the battery connector usually falls off :/

Useless.

I've emailed dji support to complain.

You have to remember that the Car Charger is based on a max 10A 12V Ciggy Socket .... the charger is asked to pump out 17.5V which means voltage from your socket has to be internally stepped up ... this hits the amps capability ... and is main reason you have engine running to up the input voltage to over 13V ...

As to the plug and its poor fitting .... thats terrible ....

60 Quid !!!!!! That's outrageous !!

I bought my 3rd Party car charger of eBay ... excellent connector - better than the mains chargers in fact ... works a treat of ciggy socket - but I always like to run engine anyway ... price : less than 6 quid and free postage ....

Here's guys link : Items in simitter01 store on eBay !

Has various for the P3 range ...

Nigel

Ah ok good point about the need to step up the voltage, handing thought about that.

No excuse for the connector tho, I went genuine as I want something quality that potentially wasn't going to damage my batteries long term.

I should have gone with a pure sine wave inverter like I had also considered.

I've got a pure sine wave 12-240v inverter in the van, I just plug the normal charger into it if I want to charge on the go.

If you already have an Inverter .... then fine ... but if not - its an expensive unnecessary bit of kit for this job.

Why take 12 - 14V .... up to 240V and then back down to 17.5V ? The losses in each step add up to significant ... and that means greater load on the supply connection ...

If we go back to the Ciggy Socket ... remember ? 12V / 10A is the rating for this ... often covered by a 10 - 15A fuse ... so not suitable really for connecting an Inverter to, unless inverter is a low power job of less than 120W. Note 120W out means about 130W in !
If an inverter is used - best to have a direct or better connection that can carry load without stress.

This is a subject close to the heart - as I have been a Yachtie and RV person for many years and domestic power supply on these is important. Inverters are common and also the mistakes people make with them.

There are plenty of good 12v charge adaptors available for these packs .... no need to pay DJI prices !!

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj