Frustrated, tired and concerned.

FL_Mike ... that first flight or two can be nerve wracking. We've all been there. Going to your friend's farm makes you smarter than many by learning to pilot the P3 in a wide open space instead of from your back yard. Yes, stay away from buildings, trees, power lines, and water until you get a feel for how it responds, how quickly it can move and judge depth perception of where your bird is. Fully charged batteries on the P3S, remote, and your GoApp device - always. Get it in the air, fly it around, up and down, fly it in a square or figure-8s, and the skills come fairly quickly. Let it hover and snap a couple of photos, but otherwise, concentrate on the flying - video skills can come later when you feel comfortable with the flight skills. Good luck and let us know how that first flight went. We all had sweaty palms on our first flight.

Thanks for the encouragement. Luckily I have a good amount of stick time with a cheap toy drone that had the same control setup.

Almost no wind this evening so ill get a coupke of batteries worth of fly time in. Planned on doing exactly as you suggest, learn the flying this weekend. Video will be easier to deal with after I understand the flying part.

I checked a bunch of web sites and YouTube videos before I even bought my P3A. That was very helpful for a number of reasons.

I also downloaded manual PDFs and created a binder, and read everything before I flew.

I checked a bunch of web sites and YouTube videos before I even bought my P3A. That was very helpful for a number of reasons.

I also downloaded manual PDFs and created a binder, and read everything before I flew.

I did the same. I learned a lot through YouTube and this forum. More than the manual provided.

First flight is under my belt. Now time for a lot more studying.

Reactions: ChipperRay
Thanks. I should be able to get in the air this evening and Saturday and Sunday look like perfect flying weather. Sunday I might travel out to a friends 500 acre farm to really have some room to roam.
Stay in beginner mode a while.

I quite agree with the comments about the flying. This is only a wonderful, novel, camera if you can fly. It's no different to flying an aircraft when you're in the cockpit (except for a less unhappy experience if you crash it) :) Spend your initial time thinking about the aircraft and practice, practice, practice - quite close by without having to prove how far away from you it will go. There are masses of instruction videos on YouTube and during the unflyable days of the Winter I have spend many hours watching them. Sadly, this hasn't meant I've learnt it all as I've managed to prang my P3A twice! Luckily with minimal damage :) In addition, when flying for practice, set the video rolling and then forget about it. It is a great tool for looking at what you did and it will remind you of how you were feeling at the time. Mike

I quite agree with the comments about the flying. This is only a wonderful, novel, camera if you can fly. It's no different to flying an aircraft when you're in the cockpit (except for a less unhappy experience if you crash it) :) Spend your initial time thinking about the aircraft and practice, practice, practice - quite close by without having to prove how far away from you it will go. There are masses of instruction videos on YouTube and during the unflyable days of the Winter I have spend many hours watching them. Sadly, this hasn't meant I've learnt it all as I've managed to prang my P3A twice! Luckily with minimal damage :) In addition, when flying for practice, set the video rolling and then forget about it. It is a great tool for looking at what you did and it will remind you of how you were feeling at the time. Mike

Had my first flight yesterday. Quite the upgrade from the $60 toy I had.

Today I plan on a good amount of bench time just learning the go 4 app. Then I head out to the farm to get some flight time practicing maneuvers.

From the time I ordered my PSP Standard until I received it, I had to wait 2 weeks. I took those weeks do devour everything DJI. All the links, the videos (extremely helpful for initial setup), all the warnings, the rules, the FCC regulations and registering, ordereing my FCC sticker. I'm so glad I had to wait and used the time wisely. When it finally came, I was ready to play.

I have been flying a P4 and P4P for more than one year. I got the Mavic Air and I was quite lost too... couldn’t find basic stuff such as how to connect cables, the hidden sticks of the remote control, etc.

I felt like a beginner again, but it is part of it!

Be patient and watch as many YouTube videos as you can! The best way to learn if you don’t have anyone to show you things.

When I bought my Phantom 3, it sat in the box for 4 months until I watched every You Tube video I could find on it. And I was so nervous for my first flight that I went straight up 125 feet, looked around, and came straight back down.

Then I got it insured through State Farm and that took some of the pressure off. I have had at least 70 flights and now it's nothing but a joy. Had one minor crash when it was close to the pine trees and a gust of wind pushed it into the tree before the drone could respond. So now I stay a little ways further out from the tree line. ;)

But, if you're not crashing drones - you're not flying them either. Always be safe and don't get over-confident. Don't fly it unless the wind is low and there's no rain, you're all charged up, everything is calibrated correctly, home point is established, and you've got green to go.

Have since got a Mavic Pro and that's great as well.

I have my P4P. It arrived Monday. Long story really short... I spent 3 hours on day one just trying to activate it. Day two I spent 20 minutes trying, then I spent an hour searching for answers. Finally I went to DJI tech support and 2 hours later is was able to finally link everything up. DJI tech was actually really patient with me and got me up and running. That will be another post....

So tonight I go to register the P4P with the FAA. Wow, lots of text with a lot of obscure language. Paid my $5 for a 336 recreational permit. Now I have a number, but it did not ask me for any serial number. It appears my FAA assigned number is good for every aircraft I own?

I'm really excited to get into the air and begin this hobby, however I feel I've had to kick, scratch, and fight my way into it. I'm still not even sure I've done it correctly.

Frustrated, tired, but still ready to fly. Tons of money invested (ha, I know I've only scratched the surface) and answers are still ever so vague and ambiguous.

(If posted in the wrong place please forgive this noob)
Yes! It's a really dangerous hobby to get into if you live in the USA.
I understand that you would be much better off joining a gun club because they're not considered to as dangerous there.

Hey Mike, I hear ya. Went through all the similar frustrations with updating and preparing my phantom and spark for first flight. (no faa, live in Canada). However, all the frustration melts away when you capture the sheer pleasure of piloting a great aircraft. Have fun man.

Yes! It's a really dangerous hobby to get into if you live in the USA.
I understand that you would be much better off joining a gun club because they're not considered to as dangerous there.
That is hilarious, only in America!
There was actually a protest here in Canada at a U.S embassy regarding gun violence in that Country. Shame!

Reactions: Paul Wingfield
I would recommend hooking up with a local phantom veteran if you can find one. It could save you a world of grief and you'll be up to speed much quicker.
That’s actually a great suggestion. Rather than experience a lot of frustration and confusion just to get off the ground, let someone else get you up to speed. Once you get up in the air, anxiety will start to take hold. It helps to have a knowledgeable pilot to explain what to do, not to do, what your goals and objectives should be in learning your new hobby.

That’s actually a great suggestion. Rather than experience a lot of frustration and confusion just to get off the ground, let someone else get you up to speed. Once you get up in the air, anxiety will start to take hold. It helps to have a knowledgeable pilot to explain what to do, not to do, what your goals and objectives should be in learning your new hobby.

I've been looking for some clubs around me. The closest that has any kind of website is about 90 minutes away. I'm not against the drive, but for weekly meetups it would be difficult.

I've gotten a few batteries uder my belt now and I'm much better. The craft has performed beautifully. I still have much to learn and I'm just taking it a step at a time.

Just sent off all the photos and invoices to state farm. The insurance will take a lot of pressure off.

That's correct. You only registered yourself with the FAA. You should attach the same FAA registration number to all of your drones (since you're only flying as a hobbyist).

According to what I read on the Federal Drone Registration website, one must register EACH drone. "Welcome to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) drone registration support site. The FAA requires all drone owners to register each drone that is purchased weighing between 0.55lbs to 55lbs. If you meet the criteria to register an unmanned aircraft and do not register, you will be subject to civil and criminal penalties defined in the U.S. Government drone regulation terms." Link: DRONE REGISTRATION

According to what I read on the Federal Drone Registration website, one must register EACH drone.
You should only register EACH drone if you're flying commercially under FAA Part 107.

Also, the registration is only $5 if you register here on the official FAA website.

According to what I read on the Federal Drone Registration website, one must register EACH drone. "Welcome to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) drone registration support site. The FAA requires all drone owners to register each drone that is purchased weighing between 0.55lbs to 55lbs. If you meet the criteria to register an unmanned aircraft and do not register, you will be subject to civil and criminal penalties defined in the U.S. Government drone regulation terms." Link: DRONE REGISTRATION
There is a sucker born every minute.

That's not an FAA web site.

When I bought my Phantom 3, it sat in the box for 4 months until I watched every You Tube video I could find on it. And I was so nervous for my first flight that I went straight up 125 feet, looked around, and came straight back down.

Then I got it insured through State Farm and that took some of the pressure off. I have had at least 70 flights and now it's nothing but a joy. Had one minor crash when it was close to the pine trees and a gust of wind pushed it into the tree before the drone could respond. So now I stay a little ways further out from the tree line. ;)

But, if you're not crashing drones - you're not flying them either. Always be safe and don't get over-confident. Don't fly it unless the wind is low and there's no rain, you're all charged up, everything is calibrated correctly, home point is established, and you've got green to go.

Have since got a Mavic Pro and that's great as well.

No offense, but that's got to be the craziest thing I've read on this site! 4 months!?!? From the 1 to 2 weeks it took for mine to arrive, I watched as many youtube videos I could find. But once it got here, I got it flying on the first dry day. My first flight was only five minutes in an open field in beginner mode, but after that it was on. I definitely wouldn't have the patience to wait anywhere near that long to fly my drone when I'm just sitting there looking at it.

Unless you were just being sarcastic.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164