FPV gone after changing to NPVT581 transmitter

Reaction score
Very much a newbie. Original post in Phantom 2 Help. Suggested that post here instead.

I was having trouble watching the picture on the phone, watching the Phantom in the sky and moving the camera gimbal on the phone. So I bought a new NPVT581 that has the knob to move the gimbal. All the specs are the same, this just has added a knob for the gimbal.

After linking and transmitter calibration - no picture! My phone, Galaxy S6 Edge+ has a black screen. Sound familiar? Lots of posts on this problem. My iPad just has the cursor going around and around - no picture.
On both devices, I can take video and/or pictures. I have all the other data too.

After reading a lot of posts I found, it pointed to the WiFi module, and like so many others, mine had been sitting in the case all winter.

I have updated the firmware on the camera and the Phantom and the desktop app. I did not really want to take it apart (also having problems finding a supplier for the WiFi module) so I went back to the old, original PVT581 transmitter. Everything is working again. I have the FPV picture on both phone and iPad.

Is there something "special" I need to do (calibration, software, hardware something??) to get the NPVT581 transmitter to work AND show the picture? Please point me to a thread, URL or I take directions well - :)

Thanks in advance //Bill

Phantom 2 Vision Plus (Flies Great!)
Align TRex 450 (can't get off the ground!!)
Belt CP 450 (can't get off the ground either!!)

Before calibrating the controller, did you click the indicator that you had the "upgraded version" of the transmitter?

Thank you. Yes I did.

I've just now Re-paired the transmitter and checked the calibration. Still no picture. I even downloaded Lichi and it does not have a picture either.

What is your original Phantom? That is, what exactly does the label on the box say? Was it a new Phantom from a retail outlet?

What is "Align TRex 450"?

What is "Belt CP 450"?

The label on the bottom : Model No. PV331. SN PH645325503 V2.0 Bought from EBay - used. The original transmitter is PVT581. This still works and I do have FPV.

The TRex and Belt CP are both 450 sized helicopters, about 2 feet long with a 26 inch blade span. I use (try to) a Spectium DX6 transmitter for both. Neither can I fly which is why I bought the Phantom. THAT - I can fly and without any crashes! //Bill

What do you mean by "wifi module" in the OP?

Does your new controller include a range extender? Or not...?

Is the new controller used?

OK it might not be called the wifi module but it is inside. Most of the posts on Black Screen but all other Data/Telemetry says to replace the "wifi board" inside the Phantom.

Brand new controller, DJI Model: NPVT581. The Specs are exactly the same as my other one. PVT581. Exactly - the "N" model gives me the knob to move the gimbal - oh and has a lipo battery.

No, I moved the range extender from one to the other. AND I pushed the little button on the side of it when I changed controllers. Put in the MAC address and everything.

Okay, maybe we're making progress here.

Here are some things to consider:

The Range Extender (RE) communicates with the camera (not the Phantom). It's two-way communication. The RE also communicates with your mobile device on a different frequency, two-way. There is nothing that links your RE to your controller or vice versa. Everything between your camera, your RE, and your mobile device is exactly the way it was before you changed the NPVT581. At least it should be and is supposed to be. So I don't know why you'd "push the little button" on the RE when you changed controllers. I also don't know why you'd fool around with the MAC address. Seems to me chances are good that your problem has something to do with your fooling around with the range extender when you shouldn't have. I would try to undo whatever it is you did.

When you purchased your NPVT581, you're attempting to change the 5.8 GHz transmitter which is a one way communication from the controller to the Phantom. That's fine. But it has nothing to do with FPV which communicates at 2.4 Ghz, and that's why it is such a mystery as to why your FPV suddenly doesn't work.

It's like buying a new car and your lawn mower suddenly doesn't work. It doesn't make sense.

Okay, maybe we're making progress here.

Here are some things to consider:

The Range Extender (RE) communicates with the camera (not the Phantom). It's two-way communication. The RE also communicates with your mobile device on a different frequency, two-way. There is nothing that links your RE to your controller or vice versa. Everything between your camera, your RE, and your mobile device is exactly the way it was before you changed the NPVT581. At least it should be and is supposed to be. So I don't know why you'd "push the little button" on the RE when you changed controllers. I also don't know why you'd fool around with the MAC address. Seems to me chances are good that your problem has something to do with your fooling around with the range extender when you shouldn't have. I would try to undo whatever it is you did.

When you purchased your NPVT581, you're attempting to change the 5.8 GHz transmitter which is a one way communication from the controller to the Phantom. That's fine. But it has nothing to do with FPV which communicates at 2.4 Ghz, and that's why it is such a mystery as to why your FPV suddenly doesn't work.

It's like buying a new car and your lawn mower suddenly doesn't work. It doesn't make sense.
I was following suggestions. Strange though, when I go back to the other controller, not moving the RE, the picture is there. Nothing changed except the controller. So I know the RE is working correctly.

On the back of your Tx ( controllers ) what Ghz are they both ( 5.8 or 2.4? )
The FPV, has NOTHING to do with craft functions , operates on a totally different frequency. Bird/Tx ( receiver Rx and radio Tx ) should BOTH be 5.8GHZ.

While your range extender and camera run 2.4GHZ.

Only thing that could cause chaos would be if tx and Rx are on same frequency as wifi?

Or faulty Tx's throwing out RF interference?

Turn on phantom with NO TX, only bird and range extender on, see if you have FPV with new tx bound ( but off ) then turn on remote to see if FPV fails.

This should shed more light for us,
Let us know all answers above!

J Dot
:cool:

Lets take a step back.

When you got the replacement controller from ebay, did it come with a rectangular box attached to the metal handle on the controller? It's white and the size of a match box. This is called the RE700/RE500 Range extender. Now if the ebay one did come with this, please remove it and install the old one if you still have it. The old one is paired to your the wifi module inside the Phantom.

On the back of your Tx ( controllers ) what Ghz are they both ( 5.8 or 2.4? )
The FPV, has NOTHING to do with craft functions , operates on a totally different frequency. Bird/Tx ( receiver Rx and radio Tx ) should BOTH be 5.8GHZ.

While your range extender and camera run 2.4GHZ.

Only thing that could cause chaos would be if tx and Rx are on same frequency as wifi?

Or faulty Tx's throwing out RF interference?

Turn on phantom with NO TX, only bird and range extender on, see if you have FPV with new tx bound ( but off ) then turn on remote to see if FPV fails.

This should shed more light for us,
Let us know all answers above!

J Dot
Sorry I missed your post.
TX says 5.728-5.85GHz same as the original one.
Phantom on. RE on and phone connected to wifi. Still no FPV
When I did turn on the TX, I can control the camera/gimbal with the knob.
Going back to the other TX - FPV works just fine.

I just don't understand. The only difference is lipo batteries in the TX and the knob to control the gimbal. All numbers and specs are identical except for the "N" in the model number!! Thank you. //Bill

Lets take a step back.

When you got the replacement controller from ebay, did it come with a rectangular box attached to the metal handle on the controller? It's white and the size of a match box. This is called the RE700/RE500 Range extender. Now if the ebay one did come with this, please remove it and install the old one if you still have it. The old one is paired to your the wifi module inside the Phantom.
It only came with the TX - no Range Extender. Using the original one. Thanks //Bill

Hey Bill,
Well I have to say this is a NEW one on me? They are not on the same frequency? this should not be happening. I have several models both using both style Tx ( dial wheel, upgraded, and old internal USB model. ) all work fine.

Ok
Let's start from scratch:
1) hook new Tx to ( RC ASSISTANT )
Run a COMPLETE calibration
All sticks all directions ( make sure you push throttle stick down past locking pegs when you calibrate )
Also calibrate X1, x2, and dial wheel
Once completed unhook, open ( PC ASSISTANT )
Now hook phantom to assistant,
Under basic tab then RC, run Tx calibration again here to calibrate Tx to phantom, do all sticks x2 and dial wheel. Once completed, unhook startup phantom as normal see if FPV is back?

Also try turning on extender FIRST, wait 45 seconds, then turn on remote and bird, wait for signal, hook to wifi on device and see if this way helps!

J Dot

OK, I've finally gotten the time and did as suggested. Still no FPV. So I went back to the original transmitter and have lost FVP here too! I did have it before and as far as I know, nothing has changed on the phone - no updates or anything. I have even tried Litchi for P2 - no FPV there either.

I'm charging an iPhone 3 to see. Not sure if it will even run the app!

Thanks for your help //Bill

Hey Bill,
Search my threads on how to revert any iOS app in iTunes, to find a compatible app.

Might be video trans board in camera, or extender failing?

Try the older iOS and suitable app, let us know.

J Dot

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Hi J Dot.
I have an old iPhone3 but that won't even run the app - it just "blinks". I have the Galaxy S6 Edge. So I went back to the manual and it recommends IOS devices. Since I am not changing phones - I am looking at an iPod Touch 5. That is in the recommended list. It has a bigger screen that the Touch 4.
Will let you know what happens after I receive the Touch. Thanks //Bill

Gonna throw my 5p worth in, the TX change wont have caused the FPV loss, they are 2 totally seperate systems and arent linked in anyway at all.

first thing i would do is reset and rebind the range extender, this has fixed the no FPV issue before.

Phantom 2 Vision+ Preparing the Range Extender - DJI Wiki

Thanks crash1sttime. I had done that when I first got the new transmitter but will try again. At this point it would be nice to have a picture on either transmitter! Thank you. //Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.