FPV goggles ?

Reaction score
I have fitted the HDMI module and got some Samsung Gear VR's but not working.I have followed the way people have posted about but no luck, so my question is how to make them work or is it better to buy some better goggles?

yes i enabled, ive done the disabler pro for vr oculus too,
sooner buy some goggles that will work good with out all the messing

I've been using Headplay goggles for a while, they are still a good value, but there are a lot of other goggles coming out. The Eachine VR ONE goggle is not good with DJI setups because the display edge are covered by the slots that hold the screen in the goggle, covering up the telemetry info at the top and bottom.

Recently I got the Yuneec goggles to compare to Headplay. I had to return the Yuneec because they hurt my nose. Here's a Yuneec rundown.

1. Quality is good, finish and materials is way better than Headplay. For $250 they look and feel like better value versus Headplay.
2. They accept reading glasses, in fact they are designed specifically to accommodate glasses, way better than Headplay.
3. They are slightly smaller than Headplay, they don't look so geeky, but you still look like a geek.
4. The horizontal FOV is less than Headplay, but acceptable.
5. The battery is internal to the goggle, non replaceable, unlike Headplay that's external to the goggle, mounted on the rear of the headband to counter balance the goggle.
6. The vertical FOV is obstructed slightly. You cannot see the telemetry data both top and bottom from the DJI controller. It's a little annoying and I really would like to see all the data without having to move the goggle up or down on my face, which is the case for me.
7. The lens power is pretty good for old guys. I can use them with +3 readers, but I might need 3.25 to be optimal.
8. The BIGGEST PROBLEM, and the only reason I sent them back, is the goggle hits the top of my nose with a sharp edge, very uncomfortable, painful. If I position the goggle high on my face to minimize the pain, I can't see the bottom of the screen, all of the telemetry data is hidden that's on the bottom of the screen in that position.
9. The goggle comes with a nice soft cloth bag for storage, very nice touch. I bought a hard case for my Headplays. I find it very convenient to have a hard case for carrying purposes, to and from the flight site.
10. The battery recharges with a standard mini USB charger (not included).

Headplay goggles weighed 1lb 3oz, the Yuneec was 1lb 1oz, but that didn't include the HDMI cable on the Yuneec. I'm thinking they are about the same weight. Although Yuneec's are smaller, they use heavier plastics. I'm really bummed that the nose cavity wasn't designed properly. They would probably fit Chinese heads since Asians typically have a flatter noses, but they won't fit the average Caucasian American IMO. My nose isn't big, quite average for a white Caucasian. But these might fit Asian noses OK. So if you're Asian, you might be OK with the Yuneec goggle, but try them on before you buy.

I could have tried carving up the Yuneec goggles with a Dremel tool and create more clearance for my nose. I might have been able to get enough clearance, however if I didn't succeed with enough clearance to be comfortable I wouldn't have been able to return them for refund. Since my Headplay goggles have a wider FOV and seem to work OK, I'll continue using those for now. Yuneec is so close to having a killer product for DJI quads, it's just too bad the nose cavity is ergonomically incompatible with white Caucasians. If they redesign them for a model 2, I'll be interested, especially if they increase the horizontal FOV .

There are many other goggles being released every month. HDMI Goggles are at their infancy in refinement. In the next 6mos I'm sure I'll find the ideal setup for DJI drones.

Headplay on the left, Yuneec on the right.

upload_2016-12-9_17-47-54.png

My Headplay foam looks bad because I've had to modify them quite a bit to fit my head right. My headplay uses a Carson lens instead of the Fresnel lens that comes with the Headplay goggle. The Fresnel lens is not provide enough magnification, it's the wrong power. Carson is a +4 diopler correction, which works good with my eyes when wearing my standard reader glasses. However the Yuneec lens was much closer to perfect for lens power, I had to bump my reader prescription up about +.5 power to be usable.

upload_2016-12-9_17-49-14.png

Thanks for the comparison John, I've been sitting on the fence for quite a while trying to research as much as I can the goggles out there to suit my P4. Heading up to the big smoke for an 8 hour return trip to try on and compare sets of goggles at one of the few informed drone suppliers in my part of the world. Looking at the dominator v3, Headplay, Eachine and Goggles 1 to see what is the most intuitive to use, suits my old eyes and what returns bang for the buck. Anything relating to drones in Australia is expensive, and I know I can get better pricing online but run the risk of being stuck with something that doesn't fit my German head or requires a degree in multitasking to operate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20