FPV Goggles P4

I don't get why you would want to use the video recording of the goggles (like on Fatsharks) when you already have it intrinsic to the Phantom 4
Fat Sharks won't record video. People use them to get a FPV of their flight. It's a lot different than looking down at your tablet screen -- even more so in the bright sunlight when the screen is hard to see.

I thought Fatsharks can record, if not why is the card slot there?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I thought Fatsharks can record, if not why is the card slot there?
Right -- they technically can record. But, they will only record via an analog video signal.

Oh so I can't record my Emaxx then

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have headplays and realy like them. I want to have full tablet access to change settings and get all GO notices because they do not appear thru the HDMI port. You get all your telemetry in the headplays but no map, you also get data that I don't see on my tablet using GO and that is the azimuth (AZ) of where the AC is from me in degrees. This is a compass reading and is smack on. The display is real good 720p but the fresnel lenses that come with the headplay are not enough for me to not use my reading glasses to get perfect focus on the 7 inche screen. There is room in the headplays to wear my reading glasses and the image is awsome. I take my family and friends along for the ride and they are just thrilled with the experience. Yes they are lots of money and look goofy but they weight less than 1 pound. You get what you pay for and for me the price is right.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgd3
Can anyone recommend the best FPV Goggles to use with a stock P4 and any tips on setting these up ?
I bought a Headset fromB
Can anyone recommend the best FPV Goggles to use with a stock P4 and any tips on setting these up ?
GDay all,
Bought a VR Head set from BanGood by BlitzWolf for about $25.00 Australia. Using Litchie on my IPhone 6SPlus. It is great with the advantage of ( Partial) head Tracking (Up and down) Excellent picture and pure virtual reaity using the split screen mode in Litchie.

Only thing i fond annoying about litchi and vr headset is that u can.t see the map like u can in normal non vr mode. Unless i.m missing something. I fond the map is quite useful when finding my way back home

Reactions: ftttu
I love my headplays. I tried the fat shark Dom v3 first but the 2 tiny screens wasn't my taste. I love the single large screen and they have better resolution than the fat sharks . I would recommend buying from some place that has a 30 day return policy so you can try them out first and if you don't like them you can return them .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Dude I can't wait to get my first FPVs! And the headplays caught my eye the first time I've seen them, a little awkward looking but that resolution is what I'm looking forward to. I don't even look at my P4 once it's up in the air....I'm plastered to my tablet like a little kid playing video games![emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Only thing i fond annoying about litchi and vr headset is that u can.t see the map like u can in normal non vr mode. Unless i.m missing something. I fond the map is quite useful when finding my way back home
On the Headplay there is a diamond shape in the top half of the screen, as you you move to one side of home base the diamond moves right or left depending wich side you go. To come back you align the diamond in the center of your screen to your level indicator and you are heading straight home.

On the Headplay there is a diamond shape in the top half of the screen, as you you move to one side of home base the diamond moves right or left depending wich side you go. To come back you align the diamond in the center of your screen to your level indicator and you are heading straight home.
Do u happen to have a screen shot?

My other hobby other than droning is VR and as far as i know, using a current generation mobile phone display with a VR headset gives a way better picture quality than any dedicated eye piece with built in display.

If u compare specs of say a samsung note5 in a gear VR it will knock over almost all competitors interms of picture quality

Do u happen to have a screen shot?

My other hobby other than droning is VR and as far as i know, using a current generation mobile phone display with a VR headset gives a way better picture quality than any dedicated eye piece with built in display.

If u compare specs of say a samsung note5 in a gear VR it will knock over almost all competitors interms of picture quality
I don't have a screen shot (yet). They headplays have a good 720p screen but it's not as good as samsungs screens ( I wish) IMO samsung makes the best screens followed closely by ios.

I don't have a screen shot (yet). They headplays have a good 720p screen but it's not as good as samsungs screens ( I wish) IMO samsung makes the best screens followed closely by ios.

Heres a question, how much of the headplay screen is actually displaying the actual video feed?

Ie if u plugged in ur bliray player it presumably uses the entire screen ie full 720p but the litchi app when u go into VR mode only uses a small portion of the screen (at least on my note 5 when i uses it inVR)

So if the phantom 4s sending 720p signal (i think thats correct?) U aren.t actually seeing everything that could be seen, ie u r seeing a magnified but lower resolution pic compared with viewing on a high resolution tablet at a short viewing distance or if u use a high resolution phone in a vrbox type device

The screen resolution is adjustable and has various options that I don't use exept HD, at 720p it is full screen 16:9 that's on a 7 inche screen, if you take a picture and in GO you are set at a 4:3 ratio the headplay will display that format, you see the same image as on your tablet, you will get full height but the sides will be trimed to match the image size. Wich ever format you chose the headplays will max out the image to the largest available screen area and the rest will have nothing on the screen because there is noting to show.

The screen resolution is adjustable and has various options that I don't use exept HD, at 720p it is full screen 16:9 that's on a 7 inche screen, if you take a picture and in GO you are set at a 4:3 ratio the headplay will display that format, you see the same image as on your tablet, you will get full height but the sides will be trimed to match the image size. Wich ever format you chose the headplays will max out the image to the largest available screen area and the rest will have nothing on the screen because there is noting to show.
So i had a read about the headplays here

HeadPlay goggles finally ship and they are a BIG DEAL.!

And watched a review here

They actually sound pretty good with good resolution of 1280x800

As far as i can tell they use a fresnel lens system using the same display for both eyes (note sure this is correct), so in comparison to note5 and gearvr which has
2560 x1440 total but spilt between 2 eyes so actually 1280x720 per eye they headplay screen is pretty good.

Feild of view is 90 degrees with the heaspace and i think 110degrees with gearvr

The thing that i think might come into play is that a fresnel lens causes lines to be seen across your image - ie the fresnel lens design degrades picture quality compared to an aspheric lens design (used in gear VR/ occulus rift/ vive), mind u u can see a screen door effect with the gear VR as well but its a different geometric pattern and less disturbing than a fresnel interference ontop of a screen door intereference which would likely also be there in the headspace.

In the VR world fresnel lens are used to get massive FOV, but these guys seem to be using it to save weight

This is all postulation though as u would need to get the both side by side to compare to really know! (And there is variation on indiviual perception base on variation in eye vision/dioptre)

The headplays permit me to wear my prescription classes inside the unit. I got 6 pairs of plus 2 glasses on amazon for $20.00. The glasses I chose are round like John Lenon and they give me full view of the screen so no fresnel lenses required for me and my wife and the image is real good. The fresnel lenses are pretty good, you can barely see the lines but I prefered to wear my glasses as the fresnel are not quite strong enough for my eyes.

The headplays permit me to wear my prescription classes inside the unit. I got 6 pairs of plus 2 glasses on amazon for $20.00. The glasses I chose are round like John Lenon and they give me full view of the screen so no fresnel lenses required for me and my wife and the image is real good. The fresnel lenses are pretty good, you can barely see the lines but I prefered to wear my glasses as the fresnel are not quite strong enough for my eyes.
Thats an interesting waybofbusing them! Bypass the weakest link completely. I thought part of the job of fresnels is so that u can also dial in prism due to the accomodative convergence ratio. Using a single image for 2 eyes would require some serious prism added to the lens compared to a standard cardboard type VR setup which has 2 images and hence u don.t need the prism in the lens.
Did u have prism put in the lens?

Fatsharks have too small a display and the view looks cheap even though the goggles are expensive.
Cheap goggles with a smart phone inserted seem to give a better and bigger view.
Have tried the Zeiss VR One ($127.), and the Wolfblitz Vr (27.99). Both goggles have universal trays that fit a number of smart phones. You can get the Zeiss VR One with either a universal tray, or no tray and order a make specific tray.
The Wolfblitz works way better with both the VR function in Litchi and the 3D FPV app.
There is no adjustability with the Zeiss headset. The Wolfblitz allows you to set inter pupillary distance as well as depth (distance of phone away from lenses) that helps the people who wear glasses (you don't need to wear the glasses).
With the Zeiss, could not see the OSD info, i.e.. out of screen. With the Wolfblitz, perfect. The map view in the 3D FPV app is unusable with the Zeiss as you can't really see much of it. The alignment of the screens in both these apps is off using the Zeiss VR One.
Would return the Zeiss if I hadn't thrown away the box. Really disappointed as Zeiss is known for their great optics and equipment. The Zeiss has soft foam sponge gaskets that contact your face while the cheaper Wolfblitz goggles use soft leather filled with sponge (much more "luxurious").

Also, finally, figured out that "G" followed by a number in the OSD display of the VR screen of the Litchi app stands for satellites. "G 14" means 14 satellites. Ugh. Seems obvious (I guess).

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik