Found drowned drone

Reaction score
I was flying my P3 from my balcony videoing my neighbors house across the street over the canal when I lost video and all contact with it. Several days later after failing to find it with snorkel using last video image, I read on here that DJI GO tracked the last flight with GPS so went to DJI GO, pressed the top left symbol at the edge of screen and found my last flight. I played it back and it showed it coming to an abrupt stop and spinning right next to a docked sailboat. It was 20 feet below the surface in murky water but pulling a large fishing lure through that spot snagged it and it is now in a tub of rice drying out. I submerged it in fresh water to get the salt off and will spray it in a couple of days with corrosion protector and contact cleaner and hope for a miracle. Knowing this is dreaming my new phantom 3 advanced arrives today. Maybe I will have the frame for spare parts and the props.
My fault, I flew out of sight behind the house and misjudged the distance.

It was pure luck you were able to fish it out, good job. I've read on the forums that distilled water and cat litter works the best. Make sure you disposal of the battery in a proper way, as it's no longer good.

Excellent work on finding and retrieving it.

What did you do hit the mast on the sailboat

Yes, I did a 360 earlier in the flight to see how close I was to the trees on the other side but unfortunately did not before the fatal scan when I was flying sideways down the canal to pan the house. I wonder in the P4 would have picked up the mast and prevented it? I should get my hood goggles soon but was already concerned about what is outside the view of the goggles.

Reactions: gavcuk
The P4 would've only detected it going forward, sounds like you was going sideways. Filming flights like that when you're not in sight of the aircraft can be costly

Don't get in a rush about firing that a/c back up! It's probably unsalvageable because it was under for so long, but you really need to give it a lot of time to dry out maybe even a month in my opinion

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Finding your aircraft after being lost in that situation is a miracle. But I think you are going to end up with Some parts only. It never turns out well after being in salt water. It's good to know you have a replacement on the way.

forget the rice, it does nothing. Open the AC and take the circuit board out and rinse it in a tub of alcohol (90% ideally, but 70% will be fine as well). This will remove the salt and H2O better than drying alone, and alcohol dries MUCH faster than water.

You said you bought another p3. How much? I just crashed mine and will find out later today what the damages are and how much to repair it. It might be cheaper to just get another.

I bought a replacement P3 Pro for $850. I had accidentally dropped my previous one in some freshwater for a few seconds when I slipped in some mud holding the drone with no battery inserted. I then found I could have the motherboard replaced for $250.
I now have two (or more likely 1 1/2 reliable) drones to use.

Reactions: Reed L
forget the rice, it does nothing. Open the AC and take the circuit board out and rinse it in a tub of alcohol (90% ideally, but 70% will be fine as well). This will remove the salt and H2O better than drying alone, and alcohol dries MUCH faster than water.

+1 on the Isopropyl alcohol and use it at 99% as it has an infinity for water and when it evaporates it will take the risdual moisture with it.
P.S. Do NOT use Methanol as it is very toxic!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers