Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

This thread is the middle aged man's equivalent of a parent threatening to take a child's toy if they do not behave.

Reactions: kryptek
Doesn't matter if you feel this is right or wrong, a manufacturer should not be involved in behavior control. The countries where this is sold need to do that, and most of them already do. That being said, DJI need competition and they need it fast.

It is not the test, it is the precedent that is important. As far as I know, this is the first time DJI has threatened to disable the use of YOUR property, for their purpose and without warning.
Sure, it is a silly test, but it is my damned airplane and the use of DJI GO 4 App, so that I can fly IT is implied. If they wish to put more restrictions, take more liberties, you have no choice, except to use 3d party software, which can deny warranty at their whim.
So, before you dismiss this SO quickly, be a little paranoid and think about that. A chip at a time and the grandest of tree, will fall.

DJI didn't force you to suffer any of this. You were completely free to keep the firmware and software on the versions that you originally bought, with no change in the conditions of use and no need to take any tests. But I guess you chose to upgrade, and thus accepted the new terms and conditions.

And this is a commercial company selling you a product, so stop conflating it with erosion of your rights and freedoms. If you don't like the product because you think it is not fit for the purpose or in any way breaches your rights as a consumer, then demand a refund and sue them if they refuse.

Lol day by day this thread fills up . Has anyone even attempted to do anything other than complain. [emoji23]

Common sense really. After you buy a product, they make you take a test or you can’t use it. Come on. I don’t care how simple. It’s the point. I believe it correlates to the frog in a pot of water. Turn up the heat and he never knows he is going to be boiled to death. It’s silly to some. I feel are headed for disaster, even if it is in such tiny little steps. Yes, it’s a trivial thing. It is still heading in the wrong direction.

Little steps are not financially feasible to fight in courts, but enough straws will break the camel’s back!

First of all I wanted to say that I really like this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents. I think what's been forgotten here is that we are talking about an aircraft, not a knife or a chainsaw, and I can tell you that as a certified private pilot I had to take many many tests before I could fly an aircraft on my own.
I for one am pleased to see DJI take the initiative to ensure that all aircraft flown in shared airspace is done with the same (or similar) safety precautions.

Common sense really. After you buy a product, they make you take a test or you can’t use it. Come on. I don’t care how simple. It’s the point. I believe it correlates to the frog in a pot of water. Turn up the heat and he never knows he is going to be boiled to death. It’s silly to some. I feel are headed for disaster, even if it is in such tiny little steps. Yes, it’s a trivial thing. It is still heading in the wrong direction.

Little steps are not financially feasible to fight in courts, but enough straws will break the camel’s back!

This argument is a glaring non sequitur. This is not being forced on anyone and so it's not going to erode anyone's rights. It's a commercial product, and if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. And if you buy it and don't like it, or feel that it violates consumer laws in some way then you can take it back or sue under those same protective laws . Your rights would only be eroded if the protection of law went away.

Reactions: hit-n-run
Come on folks. We can (and should) debate all day long but keep it on topic and not personal. This thread has been "mildly" cleaned up. Let's keep it civil or it gets locked down.

Allen

Reactions: sar104
Ok, so you feel it is fine for a commercial manufacturer to sell and product, one which requires software to use it fully, should have the right to continuously change the game? If this all happens with a brand new unit, I agree, don't like it, pack it up and return it. But when you have had the item for months, years, now is it still OK to change the original rules that you agreed to at the time, at their whim and at your expense?
Sorry, but I don't agree with that. I buy a product and agree to the EULA, that is fine. But don't start making things different, then threaten to stop allowing you to use the software that you depend on, if you don't play ball.
That is erosion of my rights as a consumer and owner. Not a huge deal I grant you, but what comes next.
You can say that it is silly, but let's see how this looks in another year.

This argument is a glaring non sequitur. This is not being forced on anyone and so it's not going to erode anyone's rights. It's a commercial product, and if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. And if you buy it and don't like it, or feel that it violates consumer laws in some way then you can take it back or sue under those same protective laws . Your rights would only be eroded if the protection of law went away.
Really, do you actually think, that if I were to say, not be happy anymore. That DJI is going to refund me for my purchase? Haha:p Right and Santa will come and make things all better.;) No, you are stuck now, no refund, no going back either, they frown on that, right? And if others decide they don't like the DJI game, then the DJI P4P will become less popular and depreciate in value and ability to resell.
Just my opinion of course.:)

Ok, so you feel it is fine for a commercial manufacturer to sell and product, one which requires software to use it fully, should have the right to continuously change the game? If this all happens with a brand new unit, I agree, don't like it, pack it up and return it. But when you have had the item for months, years, now is it still OK to change the original rules that you agreed to at the time, at their whim and at your expense?
Sorry, but I don't agree with that. I buy a product and agree to the EULA, that is fine. But don't start making things different, then threaten to stop allowing you to use the software that you depend on, if you don't play ball.
That is erosion of my rights as a consumer and owner. Not a huge deal I grant you, but what comes next.
You can say that it is silly, but let's see how this looks in another year.

They don't force anyone to upgrade. I haven't been presented with these tests on either of the devices I use for any of my aircraft.

Really, do you actually think, that if I were to say, not be happy anymore. That DJI is going to refund me for my purchase? Haha:p Right and Santa will come and make things all better.;) No, you are stuck now, no refund, no going back either, they frown on that, right? And if others decide they don't like the DJI game, then the DJI P4P will become less popular and depreciate in value and ability to resell.
Just my opinion of course.:)

If you or anyone else thinks that they have breached consumer protection laws then you have remedy options. And if they are making a bad business decision then they will, indeed, pay the price. Except that has been an almost constant refrain on this forum since I joined it, nearly four years ago. Almost every new initiative has been met with howls of anguish and confident assertions that everyone will desert the product line. Yet even the complainers don't act on their threats and predictions and it's quite remarkable how many people learn nothing from history - even recent history. Now it's escalated to almost a constitutional crisis, judging by posts such as yours and that other strange fellow who vanished.

Reactions: kryptek and BigAl07
Our country has it good and Vets know the price, Thank you.

Heck yeah, #merica

This thread is so bizarre, I LOVE IT. If Morton Downey Jr. was still on the air he would invite half the participants in this thread to be on his show.

BUT, to say "freedom won by the blood of brothers. :)" & "Vets know the price" in the context of a toy, is so not cool.

Reactions: N017RW
Heck yeah, #merica

This thread is so bizarre, I LOVE IT. If Morton Downey Jr. was still on the air he would invite half the participants in this thread to be on his show.

BUT, to say "freedom won by the blood of brothers. :)" & "Vets know the price" in the context of a toy, is so not cool.
Don't take offense, you must understand that I am saying that the freedoms that I served to protect in Viet Nam 1967-68, have a great significance to me, personally. So, when anyone takes even the smallest freedom from me, perhaps I react too much.:) I respect your right to disagree, isn't the USA wonderful.;)

Heck yeah, #merica

Sorry, My fault. I got off topic to thank a vet. I have a bad habit of stopping things and doing that. I shouldn’t have done it here. You are right. I’m bad for doing that here.

I’m very respectful and patriotic to Americans that fought for our values.

Reactions: BigAl07
Don't take offense, you must understand that I am saying that the freedoms that I served to protect in Viet Nam 1967-68, have a great significance to me, personally. So, when anyone takes even the smallest freedom from me, perhaps I react too much.:) I respect your right to disagree, isn't the USA wonderful.;)
My father was there in '68 for Tet. I thank you for your service.

I'm about to watch the Dallas game. I hate Dallas. But I will watch the game because I've been in the DC area for a long time. But I have at least 10 friends who are adamant that they will not watch another NFL game due to the whole kneeling thing (they are all vets, so am I). And I completely understand their position.

Maybe we're getting a little off the subject...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor