Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

Way to go DJI great idea, I’m all for it. Being certified you should be encouraging flight safety, too many horror stories on here of people taking their drone out of the box flying them not knowing the rules on flight safety.

Can’t really see how taking a test is a bad thing. Ok ..... so a lot of people will just google the answers on the computer while on the app, but even then it’s nothing more then a bit of knowledge and a reminder on the do’s and dont’s of drone flying. We all take our phones to the toilet right? There you go then.... have the test while taking a crap (also making one hell of a statement to DJI lol)

Think of it this way.... how many of you buy a computer game only to be forced to go through the “learning” stage of the game telling you what button to press to make an attack? Happens all the time right ? This is no different. Personally I wouldn’t mind doing that test in the uk once it becomes legal.

People may moan about it, well... if they find the time to write and moan on here then they can find the time to take the test. I see it more as a quiz then anything, but a good one [emoji16]

This is the same as Ford having a drivers test pop up on you car screen before letting you start your car. The American public would go ballistic over this. This is big brother at its finest.

Reactions: Gary E
WTF?!? I just picked up a Spark when they dropped the price to $399 almost everywhere. Charged it up, updated firmware as expected. Opened up the GO4 app and was faced with a panel that told me I had to take a DJI exam on safe flight. It said I could skip the exam four times, which I did, but on the fifth time it FORCED me to take a DJI exam on safe flight. No options; take the exam or don't fly!!! As if spyware and micromanagement of flying wasn't enough. Just goes to show, when you have a monopoly on the market you can do as you please. I passed without problem, but DJI really has gone over the top. And what if I failed the exam? My Spark would be neutered??? I'm certified part 107, but I still have to pass DJI's exam to fly?
Waaaaaahhhhhh!

WTF?!? I just picked up a Spark when they dropped the price to $399 almost everywhere. Charged it up, updated firmware as expected. Opened up the GO4 app and was faced with a panel that told me I had to take a DJI exam on safe flight. It said I could skip the exam four times, which I did, but on the fifth time it FORCED me to take a DJI exam on safe flight. No options; take the exam or don't fly!!! As if spyware and micromanagement of flying wasn't enough. Just goes to show, when you have a monopoly on the market you can do as you please. I passed without problem, but DJI really has gone over the top. And what if I failed the exam? My Spark would be neutered??? I'm certified part 107, but I still have to pass DJI's exam to fly?

UK is putting info action in 2018 Legal Recourse to require Examination to fly any Drone of 250gr or more.

What do you want ? DJI or a Beaurocrats version ?

Nigel

The point is, It's not the responsibility of the manufacture, it's the responsibility of the government. BTW, I took a $150.00 test in order to fly my drone.
The "test" takes about as long to do as you spent on your posting against it.
There are things that matter in this world.
A 3 minute test isn't one of them.

The "test" takes about as long to do as you spent on your posting against it.
There are things that matter in this world.
A 3 minute test isn't one of them.
This makes the whole forum redundant then, as there many, many , things in the world more important than anything related to Drones,
starving, migrants and chemical wars, but you still turn on, log in and post . . .

This makes the whole forum redundant then, as there many, many , things in the world more important than anything related to Drones,
starving, migrants and chemical wars, but you still turn on, log in and post . . .

Redundant???

Insignificant maybe but don’t see it as redundant.

We are talking about a little test and this guy brings up starvation. GoodLord, some people...
Yea, good point. I find a list of the rules is adequate. The little simple test is not the point. Let's keep things in perspective. It's who thinks they have the authority to give me a test to qualify me to fly.

To make some happy, I give a good portion of my money and time to charity. It is an important part of my life. I'm quite an activist in that area.

It’s more of a ‘Terms of use issue’ or ‘Useage agreement’ thing.

DJI is proactively addressing issues it feels is jeopardizing use and future growth.

I don't like it,
Whats next ??
Fees and a tax to fly ??
Im on 4.1.17,
Unless forced to upgrade I won't.

Who knows.

Seems they [DJI] are just chasing the irresponsible operators and indemnifying themselves.

Don't you have to register and pay to operate your OHV on public lands?
(I suppose you don't have to operate there)

I may make enemies on this forum with my position, but I'm OK with that. Having to pass an exam to be able to use a product a person legitimately purchased in a retail store is never OK. It has never been acceptable practice by any company in the free market. Those who feel that it is OK are either mouthpieces for the company, or so passively sheep that they buy into whatever DJI dictates. This is not a slam on DJI technology, for I deeply respect the advances they've made with drones. But from a business perspective, this is totally contrary to a free market society. And from a legal perspective, I would conclude this is not in compliance with full disclosure to the consumer market.
I don't mind making enemies either and normally I would agree with you, but these drones are made in China. Buy a DJI product and you have to play by their rules. I love my P3A but I bought something that wasn't made in America and I will have to suffer the consequences. I am not a conspiracy guy but who knows where all this information goes? Maybe China uses all of the flight data and videos for military reasons. Who the **** knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
No-one here is a mouthpiece for DJI.
And you left out another alternative.
They could simply be intelligent enough to realise that this is no real imposition and the 3 minutes it takes doesn't even rate as something to get upset about.
Save your anger for things that really matter.

For those imagining they will be barred from flying for failing the test, I suspect DJI aren't that stupid.
Really, they ground the quad until you pass, that is barred from flying, right?o_O

Sue them for not being able to use their app? I am a Apple developer, you have a TOS for each and every app you create. To my knowledge if you skip the App you can still fly. I could be wrong but read their TOS. Seems like a small thing to get mad about taking a silly little test to fly your drone.
It is true it is their app, but it is also part of the package you bought. So, if you buy a new tablet, would it be OK, if the Android operating system required you to prove that you know how to use the tablet? Have you ever been required to take a test after purchasing an APP?
It is fine to ask you to take the test, for their own purposes, maybe marketing. But to deny access to flight, well that is probably crossing the line legally.

But let me bring up another point, that is similar and bothers me. This test comes up over your screen after you arm the motors, I have no idea of whether it would have taken off if I would have launched immediately, but I assume it wouldn't have let me.

However, the Air Space Warning are the same, but can pop up after you are in the air. Completely blocking the view of the camera. It requires you to check boxes and agree, when you are in the fricking air!:mad: First time, I could not see the damned boxes, took me a minute to figure out what to do. YOU DON'T DO THAT TO A PILOT IN THE AIR. Distraction is something that is not tolerated.

So, if you want to tell me something or ask me something, do it as I open the APP, before the motors are armed. DJI is not being safety conscious, they are protecting their butts on this. At first I was fine with this. It is not really a huge thing. But now this damned test, I have owned the drone quite a while, have logged many miles on it and a lot of hours. Why now? Why the test, after all that? This has nothing to do with our safety, is for their own benefit. When will this stop? Will they start popping up questioners, tests, questions about your flying, tell you that you are not flying very well or need lessons?

Look, I am a pilot, I have flown many things over the last 50 years. I am safety conscious and all for public awareness. I don't quibble over the updates or even the damned stupid warnings that you are in certain areas and must tell them its OK. But not after I am flying and the bird is in the air and dangerous.

No one else in the industry is doing this, no regulations require it. I have been a fan of DJI since day one, but this small annoyance is like a pimple, I don't like it. Stop it, it is my drone, I bought it, you have no rights over it now. It is like any one camera, Nikon doesn't require you to do anything. You can buy any racing drone you want that exceeds 100 mph, certainly dangerous but there are no tests. RC plane, no test, nothing like this. There is not precedent for this, nor any existing law that I am aware of.

This kind of thing can do great damage to a company, it can effect sales and cause people to shy away from a product. IF, there is a legitimate reason for these, fine, but DJI, you have to tell people that they are going to have to put up with all this BEFORE they buy.

Flame suit on, I have never taken a stand against DJI before, I have always backed them. But I am wondering what the hell they are doing and where this all ends. They can ground the P4P at their whim, anytime they feel they want to question you. Well, I disagree, they have no right to disable flight on my P4P, even if I could not pass the test. Chinese are not above the laws of the US. The must comply with consumer law, some manufacturers found that out the hard way here in California. Stop playing around and just do your job, make the drones better, the software better, but it is not your job to decide who flies your product.:cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic