Flytrex Live 3G Released - Review

Is there anywhere in the uk it's readily available since if I order to my country definitely customs will hold it and not realise it some one is coming from uk who can bring it for me on the 22 I would be happy if someone could help me

msinger said:
djifan said:
Is the 2g version good enough for a newbie like myself or is the 3g version a must?
Check out this coverage map (for example):
http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-covera ... Flx4R1thsK

It looks like 2G is not supported in some locations. So, this is probably more of a question of where you live and where you plan to fly.
Thanks!! Im from India and yes there is good 2g coverage where I live and intend to fly.
I was wondering if there is any major difference between the 2 versions as the new one(3g live) is 4x more expensive?

If its mainly just 2g v/s 3g, I think i would be fine with the 2g version, Thanks alot!!!

Chuck26287 said:
I'm actually not real fond of the idea of making some of my info public, and don't know how involved I'll get with the social networking aspect of it.

There is a setting where you can choose to make your flights public or private by default. Don't fret.

I agree that having a black box is a potential issue if you consistently bust guidelines. I don't. Interestingly, Flytrex reports altitude data as ASL, not AGL, so if you fly 100 feet off the ground at an elevation of 400 feet, it reports the flight at 500 feet.

djifan said:
Thanks!! Im from India and yes there is good 2g coverage where I live and intend to fly.
I was wondering if there is any major difference between the 2 versions as the new one(3g live) is 4x more expensive?

If its mainly just 2g v/s 3g, I think i would be fine with the 2g version, Thanks alot!!!

Based on what I'm seeing on the Flytrex website, I don't think they are offering the Flytrex 2G any longer. I believe the only difference is the 3G uses a 3G modem to add 3G compatibility, but is backward compatible with 2G, so there would be no reason to restock the 2Gs once they ran out. At least that would be my guess. The only thing I see that the Flytrex 3G is 4x more expensive than is the Flytrex Core, not the Flytrex 2G. Similar technology, but different function, justifying 4x the cost in my opinion. The Flytrex Core performs all the same logging, except for voltage. However, it is all logged to a card on the aircraft, not sent back live via the 3G data connection. Because of this, the Core can't provide live tracking and the Last Seen Tool. Plus, all your downloads are done manually vs automatically. Check their website, it provides a very good comparison.

DrJoe said:
There is a setting where you can choose to make your flights public or private by default. Don't fret.

I agree that having a black box is a potential issue if you consistently bust guidelines. I don't. Interestingly, Flytrex reports altitude data as ASL, not AGL, so if you fly 100 feet off the ground at an elevation of 400 feet, it reports the flight at 500 feet.

Yeah, I saw that. Glad they give us that option. I figure I'll start as private by default, then see what I want to do as I get more comfortable flying a quad, then go from there. I do see how it could be a good way to meet people to fly with in your area. I won't be intentionally busting any guidelines either. Not that these quads don't have awesome capabilities, but because the potential for consequences (first and foremost to the safety of others, then to me personally) are just not worth it to me. I'm not current, but I have a Private Pilot Certificate. In the USA, there are rumors there will be much harsher penalties for infractions by someone holding an Airman's Certificate, once new rules get ironed out and put in place. Can't really say I disagree with that, just don't want to be on the receiving end of it.

I noticed the altitude metric as well... just like an airplanes altimeter displays MSL instead of AGL. I assume it's because the Flytrex is reporting off a barometric pressure sensor as well.

Chuck26287 said:
djifan said:

Based on what I'm seeing on the Flytrex website, I don't think they are offering the Flytrex 2G any longer. I believe the only difference is the 3G uses a 3G modem to add 3G compatibility, but is backward compatible with 2G, so there would be no reason to restock the 2Gs once they ran out. At least that would be my guess. The only thing I see that the Flytrex 3G is 4x more expensive than is the Flytrex Core, not the Flytrex 2G. Similar technology, but different function, justifying 4x the cost in my opinion. The Flytrex Core performs all the same logging, except for voltage. However, it is all logged to a card on the aircraft, not sent back live via the 3G data connection. Because of this, the Core can't provide live tracking and the Last Seen Tool. Plus, all your downloads are done manually vs automatically. Check their website, it provides a very good comparison.
Thanks for the clarification. Since the primary requirement is tracking my p2 in the event it gets lost, the core will not be suitable.
It looks like the Flytrex 3G is pretty much it, unless there is another cheaper option available.

I read some where in the forum that some one had installed a pet tracker which costs around $90 and apparently does the same job. Here is the URL - http://www.pettracker.com/pet-gps/gps-location-tracking

If i'm not interested in the bells and whistles, will this product suffice for tracking and finding a lost phantom. Thanks a lot

You know, a while ago I purchased one of the TK102B trackers. Works via cell phone. You call or text it, it texts back its lat/lon which shows your its position on a google map. It was spotty, and the battery was always requiring a charge. I think it was a knock off.

The thing is, the tracker has to survive the flyaway/crash in order to respond to you once its lost, which always concerned me. With the Flytrex 3G, its reporting its position constantly. Unless it gets into a midair and the battery comes out, or it sinks to the bottom of a lake, you'll find it.

Thats one of my concerns with the Flytrex 3G. Everyone seems to think to loss of gps is a main reason for flyaways... it i lose gps.. then my flytrex stop being very useful too... it gets the gps data from the phantom.. so it that goes down.. i'm still blind.

dbfletcher said:
Thats one of my concerns with the Flytrex 3G. Everyone seems to think to loss of gps is a main reason for flyaways... it i lose gps.. then my flytrex stop being very useful too... it gets the gps data from the phantom.. so it that goes down.. i'm still blind.

This seems it could be very true. It makes me wonder... the FC requires 6 sats to provide flight control. Providing flight control would seem much more complex to me then merely providing a position fix. I can see the precision of the position fix having to be much higher (more sats) for the FC to provide flight control, but does that mean the Flytrex Live 3G system/servers are unable to still approximate a position from data acquired with only 5 or even 4 sats? While flight control stops below 6 sats, I don't think the GPS system actually stops working because our telemetry shows when there is only 4 or 5 sats connected. The GPS has to be reporting data for telemetry to show that. So, I guess the question is... is our GPS system still active even when we do not have 6 or more sats connected? (My guess is yes.) If so, can the flytrex still report approximate position with a GPS system that has less than 6 sats connected? Since this is literally "black box" kind of stuff going on here, I have no idea, but I'm going to fire off an email to Amit at Flytrex and see if we can get an answer.

Sorry guys, pardon me for my limited understanding but doesn't installing this and other gps devices increase the chances of interference with the phantom's own GPS system? Also, I understand that installing the flytrex live 3g involves removing one/some phantom original cable/s, which would kinda put the live 3g in the critical path of phantoms basic operations. I mean, what if the live 3g fails in-flight, wont this result in a crash, which otherwise may not have happened. Considering, I dont want anything in the critical path or a single point of failure, am I not better of getting something which works completely independent of the phantom itself. For e.g, The RF-V16 or TK102

I'm really sorry but struggling hard here to understand/justify the $200 price v/s say the RF-V16 or TK102 priced around $50. Thanks a lot.

Flytrex Live 3G is engineered to operate with a few specific flight controllers. I don't think just adding a dedicated GPS for the Flytrex Live 3G is an operational option.

I also read that the Flytrex Live 3G operates in parallel with the FC'c GPS, and would not take the GPS out if it failed. However, until someone actually experiences this scenario, I have to assume that is just the theory of operation at this point. Anytime you ad something to a system, and it fails, there is risk to the system based on its level of interaction with the failed component.

As for understanding the differnece between a FLytrex Live 3G unit and a regular GPS tracker device, the only function added to the sUAS by a GPS tracker is a location/tracking capability. The Flytrex Live 3G adds multiple new capabilities to a sUAS... last seen position for loss location, live tracking for flight following/observation, system flight logging for record keeping, and social networking via Flytrex's servers. There are advantages and disadvantages to each relative to being an integrated addition or a standalone addition to the sUAS. The Flytrex is integrated and depends on operating correctly up to a crash, and does not have to operationally survive a crash to provide location information for finding the crash site. A GPS tracker is independent and does not automatically operate up to to a crash, and must operationally survive a crash to report back to an inquiry as to the its current location. Different risk assessment. Nothing is 100%.

Chuck26287 said:
dbfletcher said:

This seems it could be very true. It makes me wonder... the FC requires 6 sats to provide flight control. Providing flight control would seem much more complex to me then merely providing a position fix. I can see the precision of the position fix having to be much higher (more sats) for the FC to provide flight control, but does that mean the Flytrex Live 3G system/servers are unable to still approximate a position from data acquired with only 5 or even 4 sats? While flight control stops below 6 sats, I don't think the GPS system actually stops working because our telemetry shows when there is only 4 or 5 sats connected. The GPS has to be reporting data for telemetry to show that. So, I guess the question is... is our GPS system still active even when we do not have 6 or more sats connected? (My guess is yes.) If so, can the flytrex still report approximate position with a GPS system that has less than 6 sats connected? Since this is literally "black box" kind of stuff going on here, I have no idea, but I'm going to fire off an email to Amit at Flytrex and see if we can get an answer.

I emailed Flytrex, as well as posted this question/scenario on the Flytrex Facebook page. They replied with a very informative explanation. If interested, check it out at :

https://www.facebook.com/flytrex/posts/ ... ed_comment

To sum it up, the Flytrex Live 3G will generally still provide live GPS tracking/position data and "last seen" data even when the Naza has lost GPS flight control capability.

Thanks for that info. I feel much better about my Flytrex now. I do love the ability of watching the flight data and flight path on another tablet using Flytrex live mission view url. Unfortunatly, it doesn't seem very "mobile" friendly.. it is almost unusable on my Note 4... but it looks reasonable on a 8"+ screen.

dbfletcher said:
Thanks for that info. I feel much better about my Flytrex now. I do love the ability of watching the flight data and flight path on another tablet using Flytrex live mission view url. Unfortunatly, it doesn't seem very "mobile" friendly.. it is almost unusable on my Note 4... but it looks reasonable on a 8"+ screen.

Hi Dbfletcher :)

As you mentioned, our site is currently not well optimized for mobile devices and this is one of the updates that we're working on these days. However, those using an iOS device can use our Flytrex iOS app that lets you track your flight in real time using an iOS device with a well-optimized display for use with mobile devices. Flytrex iOS can be downloaded from the AppStore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flytrex ... 02433?mt=8

We're doing our best to finish the first Android version as well and hope to have more news for our Android pilots in the next few weeks. :)

Chuck26287 said:
Flytrex Live 3G is engineered to operate with a few specific flight controllers. I don't think just adding a dedicated GPS for the Flytrex Live 3G is an operational option.

I also read that the Flytrex Live 3G operates in parallel with the FC'c GPS, and would not take the GPS out if it failed. However, until someone actually experiences this scenario, I have to assume that is just the theory of operation at this point. Anytime you ad something to a system, and it fails, there is risk to the system based on its level of interaction with the failed component.

As for understanding the differnece between a FLytrex Live 3G unit and a regular GPS tracker device, the only function added to the sUAS by a GPS tracker is a location/tracking capability. The Flytrex Live 3G adds multiple new capabilities to a sUAS... last seen position for loss location, live tracking for flight following/observation, system flight logging for record keeping, and social networking via Flytrex's servers. There are advantages and disadvantages to each relative to being an integrated addition or a standalone addition to the sUAS. The Flytrex is integrated and depends on operating correctly up to a crash, and does not have to operationally survive a crash to provide location information for finding the crash site. A GPS tracker is independent and does not automatically operate up to to a crash, and must operationally survive a crash to report back to an inquiry as to the its current location. Different risk assessment. Nothing is 100%.
Great points, Thanks
Also, as I understand this unit needs good 3G coverage, which may not be available everywhere whereas a regular gps tracker uses sms, which is 100% available in all areas. Another good feature of beeper which activates upon calling and comes as a standard feature in most of the regular gps trackers, is missing in the 3G Live. From my limited experience, GPS location is never accurate beyond a few meters and that's a lot of area to search especially if your sUAS crashed some where in dense forest with trees. Therefore in my opinion, a beeper would be of great help/necessary to zero in on exact location of the sUAS. But then again that's just my opinion.

I just noticed that the actual price of the 3G Live comes to approx $225 USD with express shipping($25). The regular airmail option($5) is impractical as it will take up to 30 business days as stated on their website. Is this really true, 30 days for shipping within the US? Or am I missing something here. Thanks a lot

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20