Flytrex Live 3G Released - Review

Dirty Bird said:
The Live consumes very little power and you won't notice any difference in your flight times. Specs say you can power it from any 3S-6S pack. You could use a small pack to power it independently from the Phantom but I don't feel it's necessary.

Actually my concern was in case of loss or crash lipo could work for hours and tell us the location

Looks like existing Live customers can upgrade with a 40% discount:

Upgrade Plan for Existing Flytrex Live Pilots
Existing Flytrex Live pilots are eligible to upgrade to Live 3G with a special 40% off price.

To apply for the special upgrade price, contact our support team at [email protected]. Please include your original purchase details - date of purchase, where you bought your Live and receipt confirmation of payment. You will then receive an email including full upgrade details.

Dirty Bird said:
Not sure but Flytrex is accepting pre-orders now. I would get in line quickly!

Seen it yesterday that we could pre-order @ a discount of $10 LMAO.
I stick with the core 2, that works for me.

flyNfrank said:
Jayson Hanes said:
ordered mine this morning.. sucks to have spent $200 to be an unofficial beta-tester and still having to fork over over $100 more (all within 30 days of receiving the 2G, lol)... but whatever..

Frank, the flytrex mission uploader tool should sync those interrupted missions, have you tried it?

No I have not tried it. What process would be used to have the full file that will be upload loaded?

Where do you come up with additional $100?

- I bought the 2G for $200'ish (including cable and shipping) on Sept 21.. and yesterday bought the 3G at the upgrade price ($127.98 total, incl cable and shipping)

- Download the utility http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex-live/programmer/, with the power off your phantom, connect the flytrex via usb to your pc, launch the app and click "Search" for the usb-com port and select the one that looks "new" (mine is com21), click connect, then power the phantom on and wait.. you should see a response on the app saying x missions found, and it downloads them (slowly) and then processes them for upload to the flytrex website automatically. It'll merge and/or update flights that have missing data.

I am curious, after you found the Phantom, how did you get it down from 116 foot treetop? I fly in a heavily wooded area and wonder all the time what I would do if it ended on top of my tree canopy.

This post is very helpful with a good deal of information. Thanks for sharing. It's too bad its so expensive, but in the whole scheme of things, its a small price to pay to get your aircraft back.

Mopar Bob said:
I am curious, after you found the Phantom, how did you get it down from 116 foot treetop?

Chainsaw%2B1.gif

Wanted to mention this: If you choose to mount your Flytrex under the battery bay as I have done, make sure it does not make contact with the gimbal or it may transfer vibration from the aircraft to the camera. Keep the Flytrex even with the edge of the battery bay you should be fine. It will be close but won't actually touch. If you want a little more clearance, use a file or sandpaper to remove some plastic from the forward corners of the Flytrex Live 3G case.

IMAG1469.jpg

Dirty Bird said:
Mopar Bob said:
I am curious, after you found the Phantom, how did you get it down from 116 foot treetop?

Chainsaw%2B1.gif

Here we go again !
Watch out in Germany with that tool !
Some Halloween creeps terrifying people around with that and some blood.
They film it wile people run for there life. Some had serious accidents due to that.
They are official prosecuted now, don't know how to express that in English.
The answer DB is just hilarious, not much worths used on it LMAO.

What happens if Flytrex is inoperable mid flight?

To install the Flytrex, you disconnect the GPS cable from the Phantom's GPS port, and plug the GPS cable into the Flytrex and then plug the Flytrex cable into the Phantom's GPS port. How does it work, ie is it passive? What happens if the Flytrex gets damaged or loses power mid flight, but assume the GPS cables all stay plugged in. What would happen?
Would the GPS data still pass to the Phantom or would it act as if the GPS cable was unplugged?

-Scott

I ordered a Flytrex Live 3G a few days ago, but have yet to receive a shipping notification, just that they received my order and shipping notice is forthcoming.

From what I understand, you have to tap the battery power cables to power the Phantom. As long as the battery stays in and has any power remaining, your Flytrex will continue to operate.

3G's are not shipping out until next week (per their website).. and Scott, the gps connector wires the gps in parallel (taps), not series.. if the flytrex was off or were to fail, the gps would still send data to the naza fine (assuming not anything going wrong resulting in an electrical short..)

I just ordered mine! Can't wait! Although, my P2 v.2 is still in the box since it arrived a couple of days ago and is being very closely watched by my wife so I don't open it and fly before Christmas. :D Thanks for all of the great info on this product!

Anyone having any luck getting ahold of Flytrex tech support recently? Amit R. was going to send me Flytrex Live API information but I haven't heard back from him in 3 weeks. :?

Riduclously excited.
Got my new Flytrex 3G today. Binded the Flytrex 3G using QR code, Dismantled the Phantom (again), popped off WIFI module, threaded wires through leg, soldered to power distribution (nearly burned NAZA cables soldering), connected GPS wire, Velcro to bottom of phantom (careful not to cover either QR code), popped in a sim card (same as for an iPhone 4), and took off.

Start to finish on the project was about sixty minutes.

Happy to report all functioned well, was able to track live on the iPhone app and all data was automatically uploaded to my Flytrex account in about 5 minutes.

Pretty cool device. Now to get dashware and upgrade my videos a bit. I'm happiest about being able to find the Phantom, or at least the spot where it dropped into the ocean!

Recieved mine yesterday. Ordered the H20 Sim ($10) and 90day plan for $10. That should be here today. My only real disappointment is the cable from the flytrex core isnt the same as the Flytrex 3G... even thought they look identical. I had wired one half of a locking power connector when I installed the core knowing I was getting the 3G in a while so I was hoping I wouldn't have to open the shell back up. Btw... I found it much easier to solder to one of the ESC's instead of pulling the WiFI Module off to get to the Power Distribution Board.

Hi guys! :)

Regarding installation and soldering, if any one is looking for more details, we just posted our new Flytrex Live and Phantom 2 Vision Plus Installation Guide on our site. You can find it here: http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex- ... tallation/

The Live power leads can be soldered either to the leads beneath the WiFi module or to one of the ESCs. As dbfletcher mentioned, we also recommend carefully soldering to one of the ESCs since those are much easier to reach and work with. There is no difference whatsoever using either soldering points though.

@dbfletcher - Indeed the Core and the Live cables are difference. Furthermore, using the Core cable with the Live can damage the Live unit in some cases since you'll be feeing it with vcc where there shouldn't be. However, if you would like, you should be able to continue using the Core's cable by manually cutting one of the 3 wires that exists on the Core's cable.

If you'd like to give it a try, please post a picture of the Core wire you have going out of the Phantom and I'll point you out to the specific wire you need to cut. You won't be able to use the same cable with the Core again, but you'll be able to use it with the Live. Let me know. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31