Flying time increase as a function of weight reduction?

I am not interested at all in horizontal speed. What I want is a maneuverable platform for my video camera. As for the balloon into the props concern, I've got it handled. The string for the harness passes down a plastic tube about two feet long. Unless I do something stupid the balloon should stay well clear of the props. The plastic tube would have to be almost horizontal to contact the props.
No doubt about the drag factor. If I were racing from point to point that would be a deal breaker, but mostly I just want up and down, with a little horizontal. As for wind, my average wind is less than 2 mph and frankly I don't think that's a big concern.

I'm curious on how much time you gain by loosing the 1 pound only..keep us updated please...

I'm curious on how much time you gain by loosing the 1 pound only..keep us updated please...
I will. My first flight will be with the smaller balloon and the one pound reduction. Helium is expensive. And it leaks no matter what the balloon is made of. Must be very small molecules. If that works out I will go with the larger balloon and see what happens. My goal is to double flight time, but if the 5' balloon is unwieldy or too much drag in a breeze I would settle for the shorter time of the smaller balloon.

What if the wind catches the balloon? Especially if you are pretty high up where it can gust in an instant? Also If the quad is to light, it may take forever to descend, eating up your battery trying to come down.
This is very intriguing.

What if the wind catches the balloon? Especially if you are pretty high up where it can gust in an instant? Also If the quad is to light, it may take forever to descend, eating up your battery trying to come down.
This is very intriguing.
I will be very careful about flying when gusts are likely, early morning and evening are my best bets. I'll probably go just after sunrise when the air is usually calm. Around here 0-2mph is common in the morning.

I am not going to be anywhere near a condition where lift=mass so the craft will always be heavier than air. If it weren't I would be unable to land (let alone maneuver) unless I jettisoned the balloon. Since I have no desire to go for the P3P altitude record I intend to keep the vehicle mass greater than lifting force of the balloon. ;)

[For anyone interested, 'lift' can be calculated with Helium in a balloon. Due to barometric pressure fluctuations, air temperature and humidity changes, and surface tension and weight variation of the balloon itself, actual lifting force will vary. For the record I will use about 15 cu ft of Helium which is close to the capacity of the 'party size' throw away dispensers you get from the party supply stores.]

Did you take the sun heating up the balloon which will give more lift?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Hi Rod. No, I haven't factored that variable in, along with many other variables mentioned in Post 24. That's why I'm starting out small and with only a pound of lift. I'm erring on the side of saving my P3P.

Hi Rod. No, I haven't factored that variable in, along with many other variables mentioned in Post 24. That's why I'm starting out small and with only a pound of lift. I'm erring on the side of saving my P3P.
we are gonna need some video of this sir! sounds like quite the adventure!

we are gonna need some video of this sir! sounds like quite the adventure!
I will have some ground based video as well as telemetrics to review flight time and conditions. Not trying for anything epic, just experimenting. Who knows what the future holds? ;)

Reactions: Digdat0
I will have some ground based video as well as telemetrics to review flight time and conditions. Not trying for anything epic, just experimenting. Who knows what the future holds? ;)
the thing i like is, its different. havent seen that done, have no idea if it will work .. but its different and exciting! keep us posted !

Yep, this contraption will probably work, it won't be a distance runner but should have good hang time. Rod mentioned thermal gain that will give you more lift, get a reflective mylar type or at least white balloons. Also get a big video card if you get carried away by the wind you will want to see the whole video of the event (I do). How about 2 balloons that are secured high enough together on the lift contraption that if one bursts it will not fall in the props and would be supported by the second inflated balloon. If you get in trouble bring a pellet gun and shoot one. (just one). I'm not going to try it soon, but I really like your idea.
Why not, go for it!.. Can't wait to see the videos. Don't get in trouble and have fun.

Yep, this contraption will probably work, it won't be a distance runner but should have good hang time. Rod mentioned thermal gain that will give you more lift, get a reflective mylar type or at least white balloons. Also get a big video card if you get carried away by the wind you will want to see the whole video of the event (I do). How about 2 balloons that are secured high enough together on the lift contraption that if one bursts it will not fall in the props and would be supported by the second inflated balloon. If you get in trouble bring a pellet gun and shoot one. (just one). I'm not going to try it soon, but I really like your idea.
Why not, go for it!.. Can't wait to see the videos. Don't get in trouble and have fun.
In order to keep costs reasonable I am going with the traditional white weather balloon. It will be a 4' (capable) balloon inflated to just over 3' diameter. I shouldn't have to worry about bursting as I will not be near max inflation and I bought a quality product -just like the pro's use. The trade off for strength is weight, I have to balance the two. Too strong and it's too heavy. Helium isn't cheap. One concern I have is that temperatures might be in the 20's (Fahrenheit) and that means I won't have as much expansion. I suppose that might be offset by the fact that the ambient air will also be more dense and so it will not be a factor. The physicists here will know.

I am trying to avoid (burst balloon) prop entanglement by having the securing cord run through a plastic tube for 15" before attaching to the P3P. That way, in the event of bursting, the balloon would pivot downwards but be further out than the props. I can't make this a fail-safe system and the craft may well torque over if that happened. My best bet is to avoid it. Regardless, no human life aboard so no need to worry to excess. Sometimes if you think about things too much you kinda freeze up.

I am not too worried about getting blown away because I will only fly in no-to-low wind conditions, and not exceed 400' altitude over a 10 acre open area. I have a very nice German side cocker pellet rifle, but I'll leave that at home. The idea makes me smile, though the thought of having to shoot my baby down seems hard to take. I'd rather it just kept going. Bon voyage! Shouldn't be an issue I hope. ;)

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
When you inflate from a high pressure tank (helium) to fill the balloon as the gas decompresses from the tank it will chill then heat up in ambiant temperature and expand. I would transfer some gas and wait to see how much volume you gain as the gas warms. Just a thought.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
What about using magnet wire or heavy speaker cable to tether it to the battery removed and sitting on the ground. That would be a considerable weight reduction. I havn't done the calculations but even if you only get about 30feet high before the wire was too heavy- it might be enough get the shot. eg. for a long timelapse video or something. Or go one step further and power it from a PSU capable of delivering the required amps?

In order to keep costs reasonable I am going with the traditional white weather balloon. It will be a 4' (capable) balloon inflated to just over 3' diameter. I shouldn't have to worry about bursting as I will not be near max inflation and I bought a quality product -just like the pro's use. The trade off for strength is weight, I have to balance the two. Too strong and it's too heavy. Helium isn't cheap. One concern I have is that temperatures might be in the 20's (Fahrenheit) and that means I won't have as much expansion. I suppose that might be offset by the fact that the ambient air will also be more dense and so it will not be a factor. The physicists here will know.

I am trying to avoid (burst balloon) prop entanglement by having the securing cord run through a plastic tube for 15" before attaching to the P3P. That way, in the event of bursting, the balloon would pivot downwards but be further out than the props. I can't make this a fail-safe system and the craft may well torque over if that happened. My best bet is to avoid it. Regardless, no human life aboard so no need to worry to excess. Sometimes if you think about things too much you kinda freeze up.

I am not too worried about getting blown away because I will only fly in no-to-low wind conditions, and not exceed 400' altitude over a 10 acre open area. I have a very nice German side cocker pellet rifle, but I'll leave that at home. The idea makes me smile, though the thought of having to shoot my baby down seems hard to take. I'd rather it just kept going. Bon voyage! Shouldn't be an issue I hope. ;)
well if it blows this way let me know. I'll help you out.
5340.jpeg

Reactions: StumbleBee
Almost two pounds, YYW. So it now weighs about a pound? You're having a laugh..
The battery weighs 0.8 lb, so the rest weighs a couple of ounces. OK you've strapped a bunch of party balloons to it?
Ha Ha. That was my idea a couple of years ago with my Phantom 2 V+ to carry a DSLR!

I suggest you add weight by installing an extra battery an you'll get your 40

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl