Flying time increase as a function of weight reduction?

I reckon that, on take off, the prop down-wash will draw in the balloon, and that'll be the end of the experiment..
While I don't disagree that I must be careful as to rate of climb, my feeling is that as long as I climb no faster than the normal rate of rise of the balloon I should be OK. Again, the balloon tether will be run thru a lightweight, rigid tube for the first 15" or so to try and keep the balloon away from the props if the worst happens. My gut feel is that this will not be an issue.
Gravity will work in opposite directions on the upper and lower craft. The lower (my P3P) will be pulled toward the earth by gravity, the upper (the balloon) will be -in effect- pushed up by gravity pulling on the denser air and "floating" the balloon upward. Never the twain shall meet.

What about using magnet wire or heavy speaker cable to tether it to the battery removed and sitting on the ground. That would be a considerable weight reduction. I havn't done the calculations but even if you only get about 30feet high before the wire was too heavy- it might be enough get the shot. eg. for a long timelapse video or something. Or go one step further and power it from a PSU capable of delivering the required amps?
I like how you think! There are a lot of electrical connections which need to be made, at least five separate wires?

I've noticed that someone has suggested a tethering system - but that you'd remove the battery and place it on the ground.
I'm looking at a modification to the stock battery, with a basic 15v DC line down to a 300W power supply. Having done several successful battery mods previously, this shouldn't be much of an issue.
Is anyone indeed in me developing the concept?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic