Flying near small airports?

Reaction score
Ok I am a classic over-thinker and trying to do things right over here. I have recently attained my Part 107 certification and have started integrating photography and video into my creative design business.

I am looking to do multiple flights in my town (a small, rural farm town) that has a regional airport (PXE) that I've determined is in Class E airspace (not surface Class E) and under a shelf of Class C (20/100). So in order to fly within 5 miles of this airport, because the lowest airspace starts at 700 ft, is my only action to notify the airport of my activity and that's it?

I have flown both recreationally and commercially within 5 miles of this airport before and had no issues, but I really am trying to do things right. It's the rule breakers to make this so hard for everyone else. I have no prior aeronautical experience.

Reactions: stones
Actually, if you are flying under Part 107 in Class G airspace, you aren't required to notify anyone. Courtesy call to the local airport isn't a bad idea, but you don't need anyone's permission (any local ordinances notwithstanding).

Ah,
Actually, if you are flying under Part 107 in Class G airspace, you aren't required to notify anyone. Courtesy call to the local airport isn't a bad idea, but you don't need anyone's permission (any local ordinances notwithstanding).

Ah, Class G! I knew I was missing something. There is such a fine line between memorizing things and actually applying them.

Thanks for the thoughts!

There is no 5-mile rule for operations under Part 107. That only applies to recreational flying.

Reactions: BigAl07
.... There is such a fine line between memorizing things and actually applying them....

^^^^^^^^^^^ Best answer I've seen in a while.

That's what gets me about how most UAS operators look at the Part 107 testing . . . it's a means to get the card as opposed to learning how to fully operate safely in the NAS. With the NAS you don't just "do it and hope for the best"... you have to understand HOW Things work and WHY they are that way or your just bouncing along waiting on an accident to happen.

Patrick I think it's GREAT you asked this question and your reply is spot on. Well done and safe flights :)

Reactions: Patrick Cooper

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl