Flying into a Pitch Black Storm - thru flashes of light - Rain and Hail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Badass, we have a chance of severe thunder storms in the next few days. I'm going to try this too.

One of the issues I ran into was that the Photos we took of the Lightning missed the mark, so try to video with 60 frames so you have the best chance of capturing a good flash in the sky.,

NOTE: I never saw anything when I was looking at the sky but a white flash, it was the video that captured something fun to look at in the frames.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Awesome Pics!
...not me, just sharing

I've tried to get a discussion going about just what the drone is experiencing when it comes to flight dynamics. Basically flying downwind with the boat, so the only speed I think it would have to make up is the speed of the boat being created by the wind?? 20, 25 knots maybe?? So making up that speed differential wouldn't be that hard. Then you have to fly the 8 foot or so wave height that's moving the boat up and down. Crazy *** flying!! That wind is an easy 30 or 35 if you were at a standstill. I'm sure there are some other dynamics to throw into this equation too!! What are everyone's thoughts on this?? Bolton

I've tried to get a discussion going about just what the drone is experiencing when it comes to flight dynamics. Basically flying downwind with the boat, so the only speed I think it would have to make up is the speed of the boat being created by the wind?? 20, 25 knots maybe?? So making up that speed differential wouldn't be that hard. Then you have to fly the 8 foot or so wave height that's moving the boat up and down. Crazy *** flying!! That wind is an easy 30 or 35 if you were at a standstill. I'm sure there are some other dynamics to throw into this equation too!! What are everyone's thoughts on this?? Bolton

Suggest you post a separate thread as this one is listed under videos and photos. Does not get many views.

I guess I don't get it. How in the world will this protect your drone from wet conditions? The camera, gimbal, motors, battery releases, sensors and most of the belly are exposed to water during flight. And, the manual specifically warns against flying in rain, fog, and snow, it does not mention anything about water protection during flight.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
You guys are some Brave souls out flying in a Big Lightning storm and i hope we never read about you by some one that you took a Lightning Strike ! is it scary and exciting at the same time ?.....I was near hit By a Big Bolt of lightning in the field when i was in the ARMY....it struck a tree 100 feet from me......Before it hit the tree.....I felt the charge i was taking on..Then...THE KABOOM !

Since this is a part 107 flight, did you get a waiver to fly at night? ;-)
And wet suits did you have the FAA required lights on the drone along with the waiver to fly after dark as asked above ? I sure cant see the lights.

I guess I don't get it. How in the world will this protect your drone from wet conditions? The camera, gimbal, motors, battery releases, sensors and most of the belly are exposed to water during flight. And, the manual specifically warns against flying in rain, fog, and snow, it does not mention anything about water protection during flight.

We have a website that is devoted to Night Flying , Rain Flying , Snow Flying , Storm Flying called Phantomrain.org

This is one of the newest videos, that demonstrates the new NEON TAC 4: Video shows a close up of how some of the water is negotiated. We have a killer slow motion video showing how the rest of the water is kept from going inside the drone.

And wet suits did you have the FAA required lights on the drone along with the waiver to fly after dark as asked above ? I sure cant see the lights.

They didn’t.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
They didn’t.

Hold that thought, I am reading over you your credentials , they off the chart. Without a doubt those credentials command respect.

With that said why on earth would you take a Guess at something so silly as this. It makes me wonder about these credentials you posted, they dont add up to someone taking a guess.

Guessing if we have a light, Guessing if we are flying part 101 /107 guessing about a night waiver. ?

I cannot imagine with credentials like this you guessing about anything a day in your life.

AR Drone, Tello, Spark, Anafi, PP4v2.0, ....
30+ yrs CFII, MEI, Part 107, 135, 121. Technical Fellow with major U.S. aircraft manufacturer (regulatory expert: FAA, EASA, DGCA, CASA, CAAC, others...). Former USN CATTC Air Ops supervisor, AK air-taxi pilot, 121 US carrier pilot, certificated aviation weather observer, owner/operator of aerial imagery business.

I am going to give you the respect you deserve and suggest you delete the post.

I plan on talking about everything the Waiver we use to cover all the Employees to fly at night in a separate post. Many people are not even aware that you can do this or how.

You state that you own an Aerial Imagery business so you have Employees so you know how the Night waiver works right ?

I am also going to talk about in depth the Light Bar we use that you simply cannot see because its not turned on yet as its only in the front. You know there are other lights besides the Cubes right ?

I got a name, I got a website that is public Phantomrain.org
I got a PHONE NUMBER on my site to speak with me, there is not single reason to have to guess about anything.

I expect this out of other members on the forum , BEAVIS AN MOTOR HEAD , FLY DAWG, they all like to rip farts and lol at themselves , but not you, not someone with credentials like yours.

So if you fly with the FAA approved LUME CUBES , they are nice and bright, but as we pointed out many times in many other posts they have a tendency to Catch the Wind.

We live on the Lake so Wind is a factor every day, We fly in the Storm so wind is a factor in every Storm. We fly in the Blizzards where wind is a factor.

Because they catch the wind they are a FAIL for us. So you will not see them on the DRONE.

We use an LED light BAR only on the front of the drone which use More LEDS and are Water Proof.

As many of you know the Phantom 5 may have the Led Lights built into it as the laws continue to change and night lights may be mandatory on every drone. Many of us would prefer that they would be built in to the drone as to having big blocks or wires hanging off the drone.

See pictures of the drone with Cubes.

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 2.12.48 PM.png

NOTE: All of are videos support 4K , We do not recommend you watch them Postage Stamp Size. please use the VIMEO to watch the in FULL SIZE .

Stay TUNED much more to come:

We prefer the Leds in the Light Bar platform:

Dont worry , we have not forgotten about your question. Were going to start a Separate Post for it.
Will teach you how not to be afraid of the Dark , the waivers you need for you and your employees and how to get it all under 1 Policy.

We will take the fear out of flying your drone in the Dark, no more wet pants or scare tactics needed.

Will also show you motor man why having your company incorporated has an advantage over an LLC when it comes to waivers and policies like this.

But as you know we fly drones, so we got special permission to fly at night , but I really want it to be raining when we Video tape it , dont be surprised if we post that also as or if we mention Motor mama and your friend Beavis in the video as to who Inspired the Questions.

As long you know the video is for you, that is all that matters , right ?

how awesome is that a personal video for you two guys.
have a great night.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor ,

Hold that thought, I am reading over you your credentials , they off the chart. Without a doubt those credentials command respect.

I plan on talking about everything the Waiver we use to cover all the Employees to fly at night in a separate post.

Thank you for your lengthy reply. Given the frequency that many (many) drone operations are performed illegally these days, I’m sure you can understand the importance of clarifying that you were operating legally when filming that (admittedly beautiful and impressive) night series.

You were asked twice to clarify. You ignored the question, twice.

Having seen that kind of non-response behavior in other threads and contexts, it was deducible that your operation was not in fact... legal. If it was legal , great; implement your “plan” to explain how and to what extent you actually were operating legally, and the deduction will be proven wrong (in formal logic, that is ok). All here would be helped by your experience, your cautions, and your commitment to protecting our hobby/business by your due-diligence.

It may have been more effective for you to simply do that in the first place, given that the questions were and areentirely legitimate and reasonable.

WOW - we had a record number of sales of Phantom Rain Wet Suits from this lightning post..
Outstanding how many Photography companies called and ordered the wet suits. Thank You.

If you mention the Lightning pics will give you a second Color Design with your order. . So mention the lighting !

For those of you wondering If its in anyway illegal to fly at night without a light it is not !!!!!
YOU ALSO DO NOT NEED A NIGHT WAIVER.

For those wondering why i Have Ignored Beavis and Motor mama questions it is simply because I have no Respect for these old men. They follow me around like Rapid dogs

If someone wants to ask us something we are Transparent, the phone number is on the Phantom Rain Web site so you can easily get a hold of us, and you do not have to hide behind a Forum .

If you are getting Hired for a Job and need to fly at night under part 107 you can get the Night Waiver.

I would advise you if you have a company with employees as we do that everyone can be covered under 1 Policy for the same price up to 100 employees..

That means 100 people flying at night under 1 policy is a nice break.

You will find that if you have Incorporated your company or have made it a subsidiary rather than just an LLC you can umbrella , saving you a ton of cash.

Because I own several companies under 1 bigger company , all the companies can fly under part 107 with the night waiver.

I recommended you get an attorney to do that, as he can make the amendments needed..

Someone with a lot of Credentials have asked me to Educate him. Yikes.

This is one of the many videos that can be found about night flying.

Reactions: Slim.Slamma
I watched the silly video but am still questioning your premise of legally flying at night under 107 without a "Night Waiver"? I say you are flying under 107 due to the fact that you are advertising your product with the night time videos that I have seen. This is not hobby flying as there are commercial endeavors associated with the videos. By the way it's a "Daylight Operations waiver" and from what I've seen in your videos you are not flying with Anti-Collision lights at night.

For those of you wondering If its in anyway illegal to fly at night without a light it is not !!!!!

This wetsuit guy is being dishonest. His customers for the wetsuit product may be able to operate legally, however it must be understood that he was clearly not operating legally (he’s furthering his business interests via these videos and still hasnt proven he was operating legally).

This is a big problem for all of us. Personally, i will never do business, in any form, with a company like this. Integrity matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddy

This wetsuit guy is being dishonest. His customers for the wetsuit product may be able to operate legally, however it must be very clearly understood that he was clearly not operating legally (he’s furthering his business interests via these videos). This is a big problem.

You cannot get this right to save your life. We are an approved vendor, we post the videos to further the business. Come one now, I understand you emotional , but I told you to delete the post as your credibility would be at stake.

If you would like to you are welcome to Post the name of your Aerial imagery business company , no need to hide in this forum, respect is your, just not from me.

Im sure many will flock to you for business.
So big Problem means no Problem for me.

Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org

You cannot get this right to save your life. We are an approved vendor, we post the videos to further the business. Come one now, I understand you emotional , but I told you to delete the post as your credibility would be at stake.

If you would like to you are welcome to Post the name of your IMAGERY Company , no need to hide in this forum, respect is your, just not from me.

Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org

Ha!

Despite how much you would like it to be so, its not *my* credibilty that is at stake here.

If you would like to you are welcome to Post the name of your Aerial imagery business company , no need to hide in this forum, respect is your, just not from me.

Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org
Being an "approved vendor" gives you the right to break Part 107 rules for commercial flight? As I see it, your credibility is a stake in this one.

Last edited:
That is fantastic, What is the name of your Aerial Imagery Company ?

My company is completely irrelevant. You’re publicly digging a pretty deep hole. Not very smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31