Flying in class D Airspace

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get approval to fly in Class D airspace by calling the tower or are they making you get a waiver now. It sucks since the waivers take month's to even hear about. I am licensed Commercial UAS pilot but I cant seem to find a recent success story.

You want an Airspace Authorization, not a waiver. Calling the tower is highly unlikely to work these days. You'll need to submit your request on faa.gov. Do the submission properly and it will likely be approved as long as it is far enough from the airport and at a low enough altitude.

Has anyone been able to get approval to fly in Class D airspace by calling the tower or are they making you get a waiver now. It sucks since the waivers take month's to even hear about. I am licensed Commercial UAS pilot but I cant seem to find a recent success story.

Which country?

Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)
Ditto to N42742.

Airspace Authorization - Flight in a specific area of CONTROLLED Airspace for short period of time (few days). Fairly straight forward to get but allow for 90 days to be safe (most MUCH less). Potentially improved system coming online very soon that could make certain "simple" requests almost instant.

Airspace Waiver - Flight in a specific area of CONTROLLED Airspace for long/repeated period of time (several months/years). Not as simple or quick to get but a few are being granted now.

Reactions: Falcon900

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues