Flying from inside house or car anyone?

By the way the amp is installed correctly now, it's on roof and injector in the mancave. I still need an Inspire remote to push as hard as I can. Will let you know and MaxxUAV may start carrying the USA 1W impressive amps.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: hotashes
Sounds great! Will check it out.
yeaa i remember your trees around... Working on the telescopic mast currently. Got tge parabolic antennas. Going for test tmrw.
there is quite cheap 6m telescopic masts that you can winch up when needed.
a self tensioning cable roller for the Lmr400 you can get for 80$. It saves headache with the cable-mess.

Your amps sound interesting. Question: What angle do the hawking antennas cover? The longer, the less angle. There are 2 meter tp-link with 360x6 degrees at 15dbi.My 12dbi got 360x12 degree.

good to hear some good news from your tests!
Oh, yeah, I posted an illustration of that remember? Showing the wider fields the lower the dB rating, I think our 9s are 15*, or 360*X15* . So, do you have a 15? If you do, how much better is it then the 12 or 9? I'd think you could fly higher, close to the house or setup with a lower dB but who cares right? By the time I'm close again I can lower to whatever below 400' again.

Had to land in almost complete darkness, lucky I had changed out my darker polarized lens (water shots) right before the test flight, it was a calm as it was gonna get and running out of light, what's worse is my wife turned off the porch light! Lol I was counting on that. The other day, she was in backyard, from time I took off, to the time I came back, what 15-20 minutes right, she's filled up my landing spot, and is sweeping, now I figured buzzing her and hovering she'd get it figured out, well not my Debbie, nope, keeps on a sweeping, I'm screaming at top of my lungs, of course she can't hear me, omg, even after I went and told her "I am trying to land! What r u doing!?" She was indignant! She still thinks we need only the 1 sq ft we utilize for our footprint, I even tried to explain to her about the flat 2D and depth perception and just, I need, I want an 8X8' area to land, I need a 4X4' and if your better then that, then, that's some good flying, instrument landings are the hardest part, and some have better, easier access. I'm gonna take a video and post it, I'm about flying more then the camera, but I am a hobby photographer so I'm capable, I take great smooth rolling footage, I will, Mark that here and now post a video in a few weeks that shows some of my talent, what little there is, but a windy landing lousy with "old ladies" and her rubbish, pushing darkness, is the most intense flying I've encountered, besides this, flew into a thick cloud other day, didn't really want to, but, it was thick too, as soon as I did, pow, lost all data coming back, both channels, I was like "this isn't good" and took quite a while before I got it back, I was worried about too much moisture and it shorting out, plus, being upwind, on a RTH trajectory, it wouldn't stayed in the cloud for quite a while! Lol!

Had to land in almost complete darkness, lucky I had changed out my darker polarized lens (water shots) right before the test flight, it was a calm as it was gonna get and running out of light, what's worse is my wife turned off the porch light! Lol I was counting on that. The other day, she was in backyard, from time I took off, to the time I came back, what 15-20 minutes right, she's filled up my landing spot, and is sweeping, now I figured buzzing her and hovering she'd get it figured out, well not my Debbie, nope, keeps on a sweeping, I'm screaming at top of my lungs, of course she can't hear me, omg, even after I went and told her "I am trying to land! What r u doing!?" She was indignant! She still thinks we need only the 1 sq ft we utilize for our footprint, I even tried to explain to her about the flat 2D and depth perception and just, I need, I want an 8X8' area to land, I need a 4X4' and if your better then that, then, that's some good flying, instrument landings are the hardest part, and some have better, easier access. I'm gonna take a video and post it, I'm about flying more then the camera, but I am a hobby photographer so I'm capable, I take great smooth rolling footage, I will, Mark that here and now post a video in a few weeks that shows some of my talent, what little there is, but a windy landing lousy with "old ladies" and her rubbish, pushing darkness, is the most intense flying I've encountered, besides this, flew into a thick cloud other day, didn't really want to, but, it was thick too, as soon as I did, pow, lost all data coming back, both channels, I was like "this isn't good" and took quite a while before I got it back, I was worried about too much moisture and it shorting out, plus, being upwind, on a RTH trajectory, it wouldn't stayed in the cloud for quite a while! Lol!

Ok yeah I forgot to mention for night flying I use a Philips hue go. You can unplug it and it's battery operated to. I just take it out side and put it in the gravel bed that I launch from. Leave it lit during takeoff or use the app on your phone to turn it on when u are ready to land. When hdmi out is used there is a v in the center of the screen. Just line that up with the light and come straight down.

Well thanks to sim597 with his find of the 1watt amp with the dc injector I've decided to move forward with changing the house setup. I also ordered 140ft of lmr600 and a huge l-com 11dbi antenna. I will attach the antenna and amp to a 20ft pole and strap the pole to the tree having the antenna tower above the tree line about 65ft in the air!.

You may have better luck with a lower gain antenna on a setup like that. A high gain antenna that's moving in the wind can cause issues.

LOS is more important than antenna gain.

Oh, yeah, I posted an illustration of that remember? Showing the wider fields the lower the dB rating, I think our 9s are 15*, or 360*X15* . So, do you have a 15? If you do, how much better is it then the 12 or 9? I'd think you could fly higher, close to the house or setup with a lower dB but who cares right? By the time I'm close again I can lower to whatever below 400' again.
I can tell you more on Sunday after testing all the equipment deep in some forest area with no Wifi for 12 miles.
I use antenna switch(couplers) to connect both directional and omnidirectional. With the motorized pan/tilt I follow the bird gently when reaching 2km. Then the narrow field is big enough to listen to the bird's signal.
strange thing I noticed is that when having the omni antennas closer to each other the signal is better. Can it be that the amps amplify everything more when "cross-feeding" the signal from one antenna to the other?
A proper Tx/Rx gain can only be reached if the amp is able to listen low noise and with high input sensitivity on the Rx side. From the RC the signal is anyway strong enough. How are your 1W amps? Have you got specs?

Ok yeah I forgot to mention for night flying I use a Philips hue go. You can unplug it and it's battery operated to. I just take it out side and put it in the gravel bed that I launch from. Leave it lit during takeoff or use the app on your phone to turn it on when u are ready to land. When hdmi out is used there is a v in the center of the screen. Just line that up with the light and come straight down.
I have an outside search LED that fills back yard, it's like a 30W LED and puts out real light, but the wife turned the lights off too, lol

So, testing has gone excellently, these amps rock, they are the way to go, the Sunhans gold I use for the FC and the Teletronics for the RX or Downlink, I've already gone 19,000' in testing, 600' lower then ever before, it's awesome, get one who ever needs one, if you can afford two, even if the other is only .5W I'll bet that's the bomb, but for now I got much better RSS indexing when I posted the amp 18" from antenna, then it was golden. It's not magic, but as close to eliminating dead spots as you can get, and if you have a nice clear LOS (well you wouldn't need this) but if you have a decent spot, this will give you 360* access, it's opened up prolly 80* total maybe more for me

I can tell you more on Sunday after testing all the equipment deep in some forest area with no Wifi for 12 miles.
I use antenna switch(couplers) to connect both directional and omnidirectional. With the motorized pan/tilt I follow the bird gently when reaching 2km. Then the narrow field is big enough to listen to the bird's signal.
strange thing I noticed is that when having the omni antennas closer to each other the signal is better. Can it be that the amps amplify everything more when "cross-feeding" the signal from one antenna to the other?
A proper Tx/Rx gain can only be reached if the amp is able to listen low noise and with high input sensitivity on the Rx side. From the RC the signal is anyway strong enough. How are your 1W amps? Have you got specs?
Specs are insane, like 23 or 24dB REAL dB too, and I think 17dB on RX it works, it works excellently.
But, so wait, I don't get it. You kinda trace the bird by eye? Or ear till 2km? Then it auto tracks?
Oh, and yes, about the closer together I'm not sure, but did notice before, that when one was on, the FC amp, my RX seemed to get better, cannot confirm, I'm just thrilled this works for me, in my worst spots I can now go, I'll lose bars, but with FC the signal may degrade but film is still good, and even at 1 bar I can fly, I prefer all 5/5 bars of course.
Good testing all around, Jeremiah is about to do a great setup, I'd love to try that, I don't have $400 to drop on LMR-600 tho! Lol if I did, I buy a new controller prolly, mine creaks and is all.....it's been thru hell, it's not that bad, it's just not right anymore

Haha my freaking dog runs off with my hue no way to land without it. To tight for rth
Oh yeah, in a real RTH situation, I'm screwed, I don't think it would not hit a tree, the RTHs I've had I just turn off when I regain signal, thought I had a RTH other day, waited and waited, nothing, get signal, it's still sitting there as it never lost FC! Lol coulda eaten up a battery doing that, so be warned, hit the RTH or turn off remote for a sec if in doubt.
I've also seen every time I use the app, it crashes when I fire up drone, everytime

Crash landing!

Birds ok, had to drive a few blocks away, auto-land kicked in, so I landed at 9% while in auto-land, but only because it was the best place out of lousy places to pick.
I was still like 8,000ft out and all the sudden my battery dropped to 30%! One time drop of like 10-15% I honestly can't tell you, but I was over water and barely made it. Landed it in the front yard of some McMansion, made that decision early on, was like "it's not gonna make it" started sweating and shaking, I did a 19,000 ft run earlier no problem, only did about 16,000 on this one, battery sank on me, it was close to totaled, so I picked a spot I knew I could drive to relatively easy, the island I almost landed on, I can't even get too, need to be uber wealthy just to drive across the bridge. (Small island like 10 houses, maybe 20) ****, well, I guess I needed that, didn't turn around, even considered turning off that "smart return" feature, lol ON THIS FLIGHT WHEN IT SAID TURN AROUND! Lol so, I'll be leaving it on, she **** near went into the drink, oh, and the LED went out too, so a landing here woulda been extra rough low batt, with my trees close to my house, I made the right move. Of course as it went in I lost signal, I was out of the house and in the Challenger Before she landed proper, it was a front yard with no trees, awesome grass, lake view, nice house, so as Inwas making decisions, that seemed like the best bet, seemed better then having it fall out of air, or be closer, but lousy with trees. Let that be a lesson, sometimes it's better to find a good spot then keep getting closer, once you've crossed that threshold, make the decision then follow thru with most important thing, cleared area, so what if you have to drive 3 more block? You already are in trouble, that was my train of thought, I'm like "I'm already in deep here, I've got one, maybe two shots" I crossed off the water, at 12% battery left, whew! Just, whew! I wasn't even gonna do another flight today, but did, almost cost me a huge stomach ache, thought I'd be the fist to see if State Farm takes care of us

Crash landing!

Birds ok, had to drive a few blocks away, auto-land kicked in, so I landed at 9% while in auto-land, but only because it was the best place out of lousy places to pick.
I was still like 8,000ft out and all the sudden my battery dropped to 30%! One time drop of like 10-15% I honestly can't tell you, but I was over water and barely made it. Landed it in the front yard of some McMansion, made that decision early on, was like "it's not gonna make it" started sweating and shaking, I did a 19,000 ft run earlier no problem, only did about 16,000 on this one, battery sank on me, it was close to totaled, so I picked a spot I knew I could drive to relatively easy, the island I almost landed on, I can't even get too, need to be uber wealthy just to drive across the bridge. (Small island like 10 houses, maybe 20) ****, well, I guess I needed that, didn't turn around, even considered turning off that "smart return" feature, lol ON THIS FLIGHT WHEN IT SAID TURN AROUND! Lol so, I'll be leaving it on, she **** near went into the drink, oh, and the LED went out too, so a landing here woulda been extra rough low batt, with my trees close to my house, I made the right move. Of course as it went in I lost signal, I was out of the house and in the Challenger Before she landed proper, it was a front yard with no trees, awesome grass, lake view, nice house, so as Inwas making decisions, that seemed like the best bet, seemed better then having it fall out of air, or be closer, but lousy with trees. Let that be a lesson, sometimes it's better to find a good spot then keep getting closer, once you've crossed that threshold, make the decision then follow thru with most important thing, cleared area, so what if you have to drive 3 more block? You already are in trouble, that was my train of thought, I'm like "I'm already in deep here, I've got one, maybe two shots" I crossed off the water, at 12% battery left, whew! Just, whew! I wasn't even gonna do another flight today, but did, almost cost me a huge stomach ache, thought I'd be the fist to see if State Farm takes care of us

Been there! Done that! Ditched mine nearly 3 miles from home on an island in the middle of the bay in a large dog park that was closed at night. Would have drowned otherwise! Took half an hour for me to get there! Biggest risk was someone else finding it before me, and running off with the aircraft, if they saw it land! Got lucky! Not a scratch on it! Got a battery mod now! ;)

Reactions: Sim597
Been there! Done that! Ditched mine nearly 3 miles from home on an island in the middle of the bay in a large dog park that was closed at night. Would have drowned otherwise! Took half an hour for me to get there! Biggest risk was someone else finding it before me, and running off with the aircraft, if they saw it land! Got lucky! Not a scratch on it! Got a battery mod now! ;)

Wow, so what was your reason? My best guess is I had done a quick look at the wind, and in doing 4 previous flights that day, got a little complacent. It was a cross wind, but had a slight cant to it, in favor of the outbound trip. Another thing I different was, my **** signal is so good now, I didn't raise the bird above 250' for the first 3000m or so, and like I had said before I just beat me best distance with new setup, at 1000' not 1640' like every other time, so the raising up at the end, the climate changing with higher winds and not following my own rules, paying closer attention to details like weather, changing flying style also. It was pushing limits of day flying which I'm not against night flying, and love sunset shots, but I wasn't prepared.
Seems like as usual, "Seconds from Disaster" ended up being not one mistake, but a series of issues that led to this, which could have been tragic.

Oh yeah Gadgetguy, the one Island, is jeez, there's actually 2 gates you'd have to get through, Bentwater is the name of the community and then the island has another keyed (wireless) access gate, but I'd have to drive all the way around the lake to get there by car. Take me half hour at least, at least. Then, see remember guys, if in trouble aim for the road closest to you, then a front yard, screw back yards, dogs and kids and gates, no, and if area you don't know, I knew exactly where to go, my wife kept asking me, "how did you know" I know my own area! Lived in this hood in two houses over 10 years, but if your in a new place, grab the IPAD or whatever your using to help you if unsure, oh and everyone remember that your going to lose signal when she gets low, I have had such a great signal, this took me for a split second, but as soon as I lost signal, and it was in auto land, I literally didn't have time to cancel it, glad I didn't, I didn't have battery to mess around, I mean I did have 9% going down pick a good spot and get in the car! And if you've turned auto land off, remember to re-engage it, otherwise that last 20'-30' image in blk/wht frozen on screen will be that last thing it ever sends.

All supply's are in. Lmr-600 140ft and look at the size of that l-com antenna!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 368
Reactions: hotashes and IBV
All supply's are in. Lmr-600 140ft and look at the size of that l-com antenna!

Looks great! Curious to hear the result. I guess it takes some time to get this wired.
I finilized the testing of amps and discovered that one is broken..
I will also get these teletronics for Tx. By the way, there is a L-com amp with 21db receiving gain.
The 5W Teletronic could be an option. Wait first for your results..
Good luck!

Ok been away. Back now and look what I finished. 10 ft section of 1inch conduit fastened to 4 sections of 3 inch 10ft conduit. I am leaving the control on the house where it is now cause that's rock solid even low and behind objects unamped. This is going to give me amazing range and freedom with this antenna 60ft in the air.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 303
Well here it goes. This sucks and isn't easy. Pushed the 3 inch pipe up till the antenna cleared the tree and screwed in place with clamps. Then screwed in another section and pushed that section up and so on. This is going to be great.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 338
I am new to flying from home. I like the idea since I live in Dallas very hot outside, I had my receiver modified to accept RP male SMA
Then I used TP link 8dBi instead of the stock antenna, it works great and I can get 3 km distance in 3 directions and 1 km to the west since there is a forest with long trees on the west side. (See pict 1 2 )
Now I invested on buying two 50 feet each Cables and two 5 feet long antenna each 15 dBi and temporary install them in my attic to test them ( see pic 3 4) I know this is not ideal but a temporary solution to test what range I can get flying from home.

I was disappointed that I got about 1 km to the north direction and two Km to the east and 500 meters to the west .my goal is to get 3km in all direction since the antenna is 13 meter high. And it should be omnidirectional, What I am going wrong ? Please advice
I have a couple of cheap wifi amplifiers ( see pic 5) but I do not know how to use them and indeed I do not prefer to use them since my goal is only 3 km (2 miles) but I need it in all directions, can I achieve this without amplifiers ? And why the antenna although omnidirectional it behaves like directions one?
I would appreciate any help from you guys .
23fbfbcccbfc87bf3d159e4584f7749d_thumb.jpg
aab06f04a633529afdcb11bb19924984_thumb.jpg
23efdb4196922e56f009f9bb2a76a7f3_thumb.jpg
a929c5524f8632e7973dafbf8af38746.jpg
fbd87f1d155226a2a66fc9e235190f7f_thumb.jpg
817406f2e5a1854eb5368546cc45ec3e_thumb.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads