Flying from inside house or car anyone?

I absolutely LOVE this mobile station!! The SAXU/L-com performance is beyond expectations. I never would've thought that me living in the bottom elevation of the hills that I'd be able to go over a mile in all directions, which I couldn't do with previous setups. Penetration is awesome and open range far out last battery... All because of this thread and IBV's thread.. thanks guys!!

Last edited:
Reactions: IBV and Turbomania
Here ya go Turbo.. almost had a crash.. lol

Reactions: JohnnyB
Small build for today...
a5a86cadbc28f903805931e9a8b2a180.jpg

Don't mean to bore you with the little stuff, but I got to digging in my "Box-O-Cable" and found this set of 12" RG400 (50ohm) I had gotten for testing purposes and it ended up working perfectly for this set-up. Loving it! Cable lengths reduced to a minimum.
3c02a7d114f6ed71b26a9e4bc0b52327.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Turbomania
Don't mean to bore you with the little stuff, but I got to digging in my "Box-O-Cable" and found this set of 12" RG400 (50ohm) I had gotten for testing purposes and it ended up working perfectly for this set-up. Loving it! Cable lengths reduced to a minimum.

Nice clean set up !!!

Those batteries that Gram turned me on to are awesome! 8 - 10 flights and still measured 12.3V output. I charged anyways. I know I'm getting a full 12V to the amps at all times.

Thanks! Still have to test. Charging batteries now. Fingers crossed for good numbers.
Ended up great numbers! Best my signal chain has ever been number and performance wise. Finally clicked how to get the total power ERP (Effective Radiated Power) Add the total power from amp output (dBm) that's fed into the antenna, with the antenna gain (dBi)... That gives you your total power.. ERP. (dBm) That's it. Much more simple than I ever would've thought. Wish someone could've made it that simple of an explanation months ago.. lol My total power straight out the amp was 29dBm.. that feeds the 8.5 L-com antenna (gain).... Around 37 - 38dBm of Total Effective Radiated Power. I'm well pleased.
This method was with the TX amp at the end of the chain.. antenna straight to amp.. measuring straight out of amp, then adding antenna gain. Measuring straight out of the amp takes care of any cable loss and connection attenuation from amp to controller. The only attenuation needed after amp is what's connected between amp and the meter.. as discussed with another person of knowledge.
Edit: Here is proof of that formula... (Taken from PDF)
e77214704d5c22f4ab15aaa6f08dc312.jpg

Last edited:
Ended up great numbers! Best my signal chain has ever been number and performance wise. Finally clicked how to get the total power ERP (Effective Radiated Power) Add the total power from amp output (dBm) that's fed into the antenna, with the antenna gain (dBi)... That gives you your total power.. ERP. (dBm) That's it. Much more simple than I ever would've thought. Wish someone could've made it that simple of an explanation months ago.. lol My total power straight out the amp was 29dBm.. that feeds the 8.5 L-com antenna (gain).... Around 37 - 38dBm of Total Effective Radiated Power. I'm well pleased.
This method was with the TX amp at the end of the chain.. antenna straight to amp.. measuring straight out of amp, then adding antenna gain. Measuring straight out of the amp takes care of any cable loss and connection attenuation from amp to controller. The only attenuation needed after amp is what's connected between amp and the meter.. as discussed with another person of knowledge.

Johnny,

Have you compared your Inspire RX to the P4 RX while paired to your P4 ? ( RX Signal Strength )
Nice numbers !! those short RX cords must work well.
I need to do something similar. I still have 10ft of LMR-240 to the RX.. I wrap it around my head to increase FPV power :D

Johnny,

Have you compared your Inspire RX to the P4 RX while paired to your P4 ? ( RX Signal Strength )
Nice numbers !! those short RX cords must work well.
I need to do something similar. I still have 10ft of LMR-240 to the RX.. I wrap it around my head to increase FPV power :D
I did do a test. Had the meter hooked up and there was no change to TX power on my GL658C after the P4 was fired up. Not sure how to measure RX yet. One guy claims different but it very well could be a certain firmware making that happen. I haven't let an update go through since October 2016... No need as there's no issues.

Last edited:
Bit of testing...
Car set-up with 10' LMR-400...
52000e96ffcb4b7c22f89cb77a062834.jpg

With factory L-com magnet mounts.. same amp...
410fbcb01b4c57db03c11564f5865f42.jpg

0ee8d8b0eaa130f9cba3d72ab303b75a.jpg

LMR-400 wins by 0.72dBm. (of coarse)

Reactions: Turbomania and IBV
Results of a rainy day and lots of coffee...

Port-A-Magic...
(RF-Linx SAXU + Itelite DBS02 9dBi)

3dd0cf31e11b16392763ce8d0ca7d4aa.jpg

This should be fun.... :)

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Had one of those Ky hillbilly moments... (Not caused by moonshine..lol)
Guess I could call it... "EZ-mount"... Or.. "mounts be gone" lol
Just hot glued a magnet to the amp.... Put it anywhere on any vehicle.. top, side.. don't matter. You can easily adjust the angle of the antenna. Tested and tried.. works great.

1562747f1b7c77f75c08cc4807fea973.jpg

Had one of those Ky hillbilly moments... (Not caused by moonshine..lol)
Guess I could call it... "EZ-mount"... Or.. "mounts be gone" lol
Just hot glued a magnet to the amp.... Put it anywhere on any vehicle.. top, side.. don't matter. You can easily adjust the angle of the antenna. Tested and tried.. works great.

1562747f1b7c77f75c08cc4807fea973.jpg
Looks great!!!

Awesome set up. I have been trying like heck to read through this long thread. I wonder if you could do a favor and link for purchase to all the gear you're using in your mobile rig for the car. I know it's a pain so thanks in advance if you do.

Awesome set up. I have been trying like heck to read through this long thread. I wonder if you could do a favor and link for purchase to all the gear you're using in your mobile rig for the car. I know it's a pain so thanks in advance if you do.
Thank you. I'm on my way to work right now but in this YouTube video below, is a list of all the components in the description. If there is something that you cannot find, let me know and I will hook you up.

There is a much cheaper way to power these SAXU amps.. (found in IBV's thread: "antenna jungle" search for post made by @jhax and @GrammatonxXXxCleric.. both had good ideas) but I chose this setup just for the simple fact that I can glance down at the injectors to verify power and signal, from the car seat, as I'm flying. Love that part.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm on my way to work right now but in this YouTube video below, is a list of all the components in the description. If there is something that you cannot find, let me know and I will hook you up.

There is a much cheaper way to power these SAXU amps.. (found in IBV's thread: "antenna jungle" search for post made by @jhax and @GrammatonxXXxCleric.. both had good ideas) but I chose this setup just for the simple fact that I can glance down at the injectors to verify power and signal, from the car seat, as I'm flying. Love that part.
Thanks! Same gear for a p4p?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik