Flying during summer heat

Reaction score
Hey droners... This will be my first summer flying, as I bought my Phantom for Christmas. I live in Texas. We are already experiencing temps in the high 90's... Low 100's are expected this weekend. Are there added risks to flying in extreme heat? I've noticed how hot batteries get at the end of 25 minute flights in cool temps. Thanks in advance!

Flying in those temperatures is certainly doable. Do your best to keep your mobile device cool (so it doesn't overheat) and keep your batteries in a cool place until you're ready to use them. Also, it's not a good idea to store your drone equipment in a hot car. Keep it indoors or in a cool place until you're ready to head out and fly.

Phantom 4 Pro is good to fly up to 104 degrees F. If you are using an iPad, maximum ambient temperature is 95 degrees F.

I live in the Phoenix metropolitan area and was flying earlier this week. In the AM, ambient temperature was 93 degrees F. After 3.5 aircraft batteries of flying, my iPad shut down because of excessive heat. Had to return the aircraft with the RTH on the R/C.

Hope this helps.

Don Barar

Last edited:
I have also found the mobile device to be the week link, Even flying in 85 degree temps here in the mid-west if the tablet is in direct sunlight you will get the overheating issue pretty quickly. I've found keeping to a shady are if possible is the best route, even shading the tablet with your body will help too.

Not pretty, but this is my cooling solution for my iPad mini 4 (with gps but no SIM card). It helps, along with turning off wifi. When the fans aren't enough, I use the ice packs in-between flights, just set the iPad on top. Beats sitting in the car holding the iPad in front of the AC vents, unless I'm overheating too! I've thought about a way to hold them against the iPad during flight but I don't know how long they would last. I store the ice packs in the fridge and carry them in my drink cooler, I do NOT freeze them.

When my iPad begins to overheat, seems FPV (video) gets choppy, then I loose it completely, then the app (autopilot or mappilot) shuts down. Again, turning off wifi really seems to help. Staying out of the sun really seems to help too.
IMG_0562.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0561.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0566.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg
IMG_0567.jpg

Im In TX too, I actually had my iPad disconnect near Southlake yesterday. I didnt think it could be heat but I bet that was it. Themometer on my car said 100 ambient temp. But otherwise, the flight was flawless, and I brought the bird home with only R/C and VLOS.

Just curious, where are you at in TX?

Reactions: Darian Trotter
I have never had a problem flying in the 90s or low 100s. But just to be safe I don't keep it flying for more than 15 minutes so that it doesn't get too hot. I use an iphone 6s plus, and it's never failed on me in the heat.

Flying in those temperatures is certainly doable. Do your best to keep your mobile device cool (so it doesn't overheat) and keep your batteries in a cool place until you're ready to use them. Also, it's not a good idea to store your drone equipment in a hot car. Keep it indoors or in a cool place until you're ready to head out and fly.

That is great information and works well for us in Florida.

I'll often fly the Phantom from inside my car with my Mini2, when the flight area allows it. I'm always amazed how much range I get from inside the car. Sometimes I'll have to get out of the car for 30 seconds to regain a connection, but not that often. If I had @Jeremiah Nelson's car antenna setup, connections with the drone wouldn't be a problem, as those LCom magnetic antennas work great with amps, from what others are saying. You'll go farther than ever with that setup, potentially from an air conditioned car.

I would think some of you 3D printer guys could create nice iPad active fan cooler with batteries that clips on the back of the Ipad somehow, similar to how that pilot did in RemyHeli's video. Alternatively, a 3D printed ice pack holder would be a nice accessory also. Make one for each side of the clip, holding those little 3X4" ice packs. I would think a pair of those would last for a 20min flight. Then buy some dry ice to fast freeze them in the field.....Hah! I know, expensive. But it should work, right?

Last edited:
Just had my mavic pro up in 105 degrees. Lost video signal and couldn't see where I was going.

massive heat wave here as normal temp's would be in the high 70's/low 80's. Today 106-108 - Maiden'ED my P4P - handled the heat like a champ, unable to say the same for me though.

It's been over 110f here for days. I am holding off until the temps fall a little.

Drop your feed bitrate to lowest setting to extend the iPad a little more in heat. The higher bitrates force the CPU to work harder and overheat easier.

Just had my mavic pro up in 105 degrees. Lost video signal and couldn't see where I was going.

Max operating temp of every DJI drone Ive researched (I2, P4P, Mavic, Spark) is 104f. Ipads and iPhones are actually lower in most cases

Interesting question. I have lived in Florida for 20 years and in the Caribbean for 10 years. In the summer I'm finished with outside activities by 9:00 am and I may reconvene after 4:00 pm. This is beneficial for 2 reasons. Reason 1 Best light for photography. Reason 2 If I'm unconformable, then I know the electronics are not happy as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj