Flying below 0 feet on RC

Reaction score
Yesterday I flew my Phantom 3 Advanced from a 200 foot bluff to do an aerial video survey of bluff erosion for a homeowner. I ended up not flying below the 0 foot elevation (top of the bluff) on my Go app because I never have flown below 0 feet before and didn't want to risk losing the UAV for some unexplained reason (Like mortal fear!).
I would really appreciate any advice about this kind of flying. I fly around houses for real estate videos and have no issues so far, but looking down into those waves below me had me a bit spooked for the safety of my bird. BTW, I just stayed at that elevation, and out about 30-100 feet and panned up and down the bluff and got what I was after. That little camera is really amazing! Thanks in advance!

When you fly below the takeoff point, the altitude will show as a negative number in the DJI GO app. It's perfectly safe to do.

I suspected that would be the case. But with it hovering over the 200 foot bluff and waves crashing on the beach, I decided I might want to make sure first! Thank you for your response! I lost my first Phantom in a bay close to my home about 6 month ago and have been slightly hesitant to fly over water since. (I'll get over it).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94