Flying a golf course tomorrow.

Tomorrow I get to fly a golf course I worked at for a couple of years. I'm still on good terms with the superintendent of the course and he has spoken to everyone involved with course decisions (GM and the Greens committee) and I have full permission. We're both really excited about the flight.

I'll be flying for my own recreation under 336. I've already explained that I can not use any pictures for the course for use on the website, blogs, newsletters etc. He seems to understand. I'll go over all of this again tomorrow just to be sure he gets it.

So, here's my question. Some of the shots I get tomorrow could be of high value to him and I know he's going to want a copy of them. Having a birds eye view would be priceless to any superintendent, especially one that just spent $100,000 on fertilizer he is about to apply. Should I allow him to have a few choice photos? Should We just look at them on my laptop and then just say thanks and be on my way?

It's a personal dilemma. I plan on getting the 107a shortly, hopefully by the middle of summer and I don't want to risk any trouble that could jeopardize that license or accrue any fines etc.

Looking forward to the input of the members here and as always I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong place.
So, if I was to get on a 300 foot high step ladder to take video and photos of the golf course and gave them to the superintendent with permission to use or sell, I would be in trouble? I give photos away all the time. Sometimes online and sometimes as gifts that are framed. They can do what they want with them. They're gifts!

So, if I was to get on a 300 foot high step ladder to take video and photos of the golf course and gave them to the superintendent with permission to use or sell, I would be in trouble? I give photos away all the time. Sometimes online and sometimes as gifts that are framed. They can do what they want with them. They're gifts!

^^^^^ Pointless comment.

If you put a pallet of "produce" on your back and deliver it to the grocery store you also do not have to have a Commercial Drivers License (aka CDL) because you're not DRIVING a vehicle....

If you're flying, key word FLYING, in the NAS then you abide by the laws set forth to control the NAS. Without these we wouldn't have the safest "Controlled" airspace in the world. It's not about the end result but the process to acquire the product and the intent of the operation.

^^^^^ Pointless comment.

If you put a pallet of "produce" on your back and deliver it to the grocery store you also do not have to have a Commercial Drivers License (aka CDL) because you're not DRIVING a vehicle....

If you're flying, key word FLYING, in the NAS then you abide by the laws set forth to control the NAS. Without these we wouldn't have the safest "Controlled" airspace in the world. It's not about the end result but the process to acquire the product and the intent of the operation.
Except that ... America, Russia and Brazil top list of worst countries for fatal plane crashes. America is the worst country in the world for fatal airline disasters, according to data from the Aviation Safety Network, closely followed by Russia, Brazil and Canada. Trying to school me on safety, just because someone has a piece of paper they worked for isn't going to work. I'm just trying to point out scenarios pointing out rubbish photography rules and regs. Thank God everyone has a driver licence in the U.S. No accidents whatsoever!

The 107 test is not rocket science. Just take the test and put all this to rest.

Aside from that, just enjoy the flight, give the owner whatever they would like to have, and tell him that he shouldn't use them commercially. Nobody is going to track you down and lock you up.

Reactions: MTO and BigAl07
Except that ... America, Russia and Brazil top list of worst countries for fatal plane crashes. America is the worst country in the world for fatal airline disasters, according to data from the Aviation Safety Network, closely followed by Russia, Brazil and Canada. Trying to school me on safety, just because someone has a piece of paper they worked for isn't going to work. I'm just trying to point out scenarios pointing out rubbish photography rules and regs. Thank God everyone has a driver licence in the U.S. No accidents whatsoever!

LOL I'll just leave it at that.

I'd expect a comment like this from a member who joined last week....

No disrespect.

Reactions: BigAl07
The key is furtherance of a business. It doesn't matter if you sell or donate footage if it helps your or anyone's business then it's a violation of FAA law. I purchased my drones for recreational purpose but also wish to do some instructional videos regarding motorcycle trikes I build. I had to get the 107 just to do a video on riding as it is used in my business. So I took the test and passed with flying carpets and now I can sell pictures or provide still images to the local newspaper without fear of the FAA coming down on me. The test is easy and I would recommend taking a day or two to study and just get certified.

The key is furtherance of a business. It doesn't matter if you sell or donate footage if it helps your or anyone's business then it's a violation of FAA law. I purchased my drones for recreational purpose but also wish to do some instructional videos regarding motorcycle trikes I build. I had to get the 107 just to do a video on riding as it is used in my business. So I took the test and passed with flying carpets and now I can sell pictures or provide still images to the local newspaper without fear of the FAA coming down on me. The test is easy and I would recommend taking a day or two to study and just get certified.

Very well said @ETC

It's just about the "Intent" at the time of the flight. If you happen to capture something that has value (or newsworthy) you can do something with it.

From a different perspective, for the past 35 years, my own photographic efforts have always been for my own personal enjoyment, primarily focusing on efforts to document remaining roadside architecture and roadside culture of the 20th Century. I've never gone out on a shoot with even a single thought as to how I could sell/ market/profit/benefit from any of my efforts. But there have been some occasions later on where someone visiting my home saw some of my work on display and expressed interest in obtaining a copy. If I do choose to make a copy for them, it's usually provided at whatever it costs me to reproduce it. While I could have pursued a professional career, I don't sell any works "professionally" as I'm more interested in sharing the photographic experience that I had than profiting from it.

This really is not about stats or what should or should not be. My question is based solely on staying on the correct side of the law.

I think I have my answer, but thank you for the input anyway.

The 107 test is not rocket science. Just take the test and put all this to rest.

Aside from that, just enjoy the flight, give the owner whatever they would like to have, and tell him that he shouldn't use them commercially. Nobody is going to track you down and lock you up.

That's exactly where we are at today. Everyone on my side, from the GM on down, understands what is allowed and not allowed.

I've got the study guide now and next week I'll start looking into testing centers and availability.

A friend was allowed to create a disc golf course at an Oregon State wayside recreation area. The course has been in existence for about two year now, I believe. Last summer, I flew parts of the course (drone, of course) and gave him the videos and photos so he could determine where to plant additional trees and shrubs to make the course more interesting. He is doing this for free and entertainment value and the course is free to anyone using it. I did not charge him a dime for my time and drone use, and also did it for the entertainment value.

Tomorrow I get to fly a golf course I worked at for a couple of years. I'm still on good terms with the superintendent of the course and he has spoken to everyone involved with course decisions (GM and the Greens committee) and I have full permission. We're both really excited about the flight.

I'll be flying for my own recreation under 336. I've already explained that I can not use any pictures for the course for use on the website, blogs, newsletters etc. He seems to understand. I'll go over all of this again tomorrow just to be sure he gets it.

So, here's my question. Some of the shots I get tomorrow could be of high value to him and I know he's going to want a copy of them. Having a birds eye view would be priceless to any superintendent, especially one that just spent $100,000 on fertilizer he is about to apply. Should I allow him to have a few choice photos? Should We just look at them on my laptop and then just say thanks and be on my way?

It's a personal dilemma. I plan on getting the 107a shortly, hopefully by the middle of summer and I don't want to risk any trouble that could jeopardize that license or accrue any fines etc.

Looking forward to the input of the members here and as always I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong place.
. Why dont you find someone near you with there license and fly under there license

. Why dont you find someone near you with there license and fly under there license

Well, first I'll say I didn't know I could do that. I've looked into clubs and the closest are about 2 hours away... so far. I'm still searching.

However, this really is just a good place to learn how to fly with something I can focus on for video. I worked at the course and know every inch of the layout. Lots of open space with no power lines and trees to worry about in only a couple of places. It truly is recreational and personal training.

I think we have everything figured out so I don't get in any trouble and my friend still gets to view the pictures/video.

I realize you said you were doing it for your pleasure, for your memories from working there, question - are you going to film like they do for tv, fly bys above as played? My grandfather was a super for a private course on cape cod and having played it so many times growing up, my brothers and I feel as though we now it inside and out. My older brother worked for years on my grandfather's crew and was head Super for a bit too. I would love to go and film it someday.

Have fun with it

I realize you said you were doing it for your pleasure, for your memories from working there, question - are you going to film like they do for tv, fly bys above as played? My grandfather was a super for a private course on cape cod and having played it so many times growing up, my brothers and I feel as though we now it inside and out. My older brother worked for years on my grandfather's crew and was head Super for a bit too. I would love to go and film it someday.

Have fun with it

Yep, that is my exact intention. Attepmting to do flights as the ball should travel. Maybe a spin around the green to show all the bunkers etc. Instead of flying an endless farm I'll have a "mission" of sorts to focus on. Should be a lot of fun.

Reactions: 3putts
Yep, that is my exact intention. Attepmting to do flights as the ball should travel. Maybe a spin around the green to show all the bunkers etc. Instead of flying an endless farm I'll have a "mission" of sorts to focus on. Should be a lot of fun.

It was a lot of fun when I flew the disc golf course. Great day with the Pacific Ocean just yards away.

That's exactly where we are at today. Everyone on my side, from the GM on down, understands what is allowed and not allowed.

I've got the study guide now and next week I'll start looking into testing centers and availability.
In your studies to get your 107 certificate, I think you will find that everything is not as black and white as everyone would lead you to believe. There are huge gray areas in the current regulation system. Currently, anyone can fly as a hobbyist, as long as they have no true intent, at the time of the flight, of anything other than recreation, and later sell those images and video to their heart's content! Many mistakenly believe that they cannot ever sell any drone images or video taken recreationally, unless they had a 107 at the time, or unless they first obtain a 107 before they sell them. They can! Establishing your true intent at the time of the flight is the crux of the issue. The burden of proof is not on you, if you state it is strictly recreational. The burden is on the FAA to establish by the totality of all the circumstances (before, during, and after the flight) that your true intent at the time of the flight was actually commercial and not recreational for there to be a problem. If they can meet that burden, then your recreational claim is no longer credible. Just be totally honest with yourself beforehand, and then let your conscience be your guide, and enjoy your recreational flight! :cool:

Reactions: Wilbur
Getting a 107 isn't that difficult and this would ve wery worthwhile for you. Would definately cover any expenses involved. I would delay it while you are getting your paperwork invovled.

Also when you are doing is setting a terrible precedent for this person. You are devaluing your skills and abilities. To him now you flying over his place is a nothing, it will make it very difficult to charge what you are worth later.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl