Fly away caught by camera

This doesn't appear to be a flyaway, rather a loss of lateral control for some reason. It wasn't "flying away" and, had you initiated an RTH, she likely would have returned home on her own. What might have caused you to lose lateral control, but maintain vertical control, is unknown? Did you have plenty of battery power? Could it have been auto-landing due to low battery and it lowering was coincidental to you pulling down on the stick?

Dirty Bird said:
This doesn't appear to be a flyaway, rather a loss of lateral control for some reason. It wasn't "flying away" and, had you initiated an RTH, she likely would have returned home on her own. What might have caused you to lose lateral control, but maintain vertical control, is unknown? Did you have plenty of battery power? Could it have been auto-landing due to low battery and it lowering was coincidental to you pulling down on the stick?

The battery was over 80 %. I think it was not a auto-landing because I only could control the motors but not the other controls. The drone was drifting away from me, lucky there was almost no wind

This is just a shot in the dark and not sure it ever affected the Visions. In the past if one had their range limits set too low and the quad hit the wall limit, the only control was throttle. I believe later software corrected this....

pegasusjan said:
The battery was over 80 %. I think it was not a auto-landing because I only could control the motors but not the other controls. The drone was drifting away from me, lucky there was almost no wind
I know you said you had 8 satellites but if it was drifting in a light breeze then the FC did not have satellite lock. I think it was in auto descend and it was coincidental you were pulling down on the stick.

IrishSights said:
pegasusjan said:
I know you said you had 8 satellites but if it was drifting in a light breeze then the FC did not have satellite lock. I think it was in auto descend and it was coincidental you were pulling down on the stick.

No that is not true, because when i did not increase power it dit not descend

Just switch to attitude mode for control your bird again.it's easy way to solve it suddenly without landing.

pegasusjan said:
sangfhas said:
Just switch to attitude mode for control your bird again.it's easy way to solve it suddenly without landing.

I was flying in ''Phantom mode"
So that why dji set naza mode from box.it can happen when compass error.i always fly over the sea and river and i can't land on water.in my case i have to solve that way to bring my bird land at home point(boat).

Anyway when there appears a fault you never know how the bird reacts.
In my case i was lucky i could control the motors , enough for an emergency landing
When there were trees or buildings i had a big problem, probably the bird crashed in a tree or a building

pegasusjan said:
Anyway when there appears a fault you never know how the bird reacts.
In my case i was lucky i could control the motors , enough for an emergency landing
When there were trees or buildings i had a big problem, probably the bird crashed in a tree or a building

You keep repeating that you only could control the motors. You must be aware that there are no other controls inside Phantom beside the motors. For example, there is no mechanism to shift some weights back and forth inside it to produce forward or side movement. Everything is controlled by the motors. For example if both rear motors run faster than the front motors you move forward.
If you ascend and descend then all motors are running at the same speed and that is basically evidence that the motors are fine and the ESC boards are fine.
That is why it is strange that you had up-down control with your left stick(throttle) and nothing else.
That is unusual and many probably believe that because of it you probably had control with other commands, you just did not realize it OR that your phantom triggered an auto land procedure for some reason. That could happen for some of these reasons: GPS sats bellow 6 and simultaneously loosing the transmitter(RC) signal, low battery, faulty battery.

On that note, I remember somone(maybe even more than one person) telling that when he got auto land triggered. That he could slowdown/pause the descent with pushing full throttle up on the left stick.
Maybe really during an auto land procedure only the throttle stick is working.
That could easily be tested by letting one battery get depleted during a flight which would trigger an auto land. Then testing what sticks are working.
Did you by any chance see the LED lights on your phantom when that happened? Any yellow or red blinking at the back?
Also there where issues with the latest upgrades, did you download the latest Assistant software? On what date did you upgrade? DJI made some changes to the Assistant/Firmware without changing the version number on at least one occasion.
So if you didn't recently completely reinstall the whole Assistant there could be a chance that you forced a battery firmware upgrade on a battery that doesn't support it. That would be completely DJI's fault

I noticed one more thing now, the motors shut down rather quickly after the last bump on the ground. Now, I have almost no experience with ground landing as I always hand catch. And zero experience with auto lands.

But while hand catching and then holding the throttle down it seems to me that it takes way longer to turn off.
So unless you executed an CSC at the end this might be an indication that it was in fact in an auto land procedure.
But someone with more landing experience would have to confirm this. The hypothesis here is that auto land turns off motors faster than normally a user would.

Were you keeping the throttle down? Even after it landed? or did you maybe as mentioned execute the CSC procedure(both sticks inward like during a start up)? How far away were you from the phantom at that moment?

When I was on the ground I was keeping the right throttle down, I wanted the motors to stop.
I was 100 meter away from the landing place.
I do not know the colour off the leds during the problems, the drone was a considerable distance to see this

Question How can I reinstall the software to be sure everthing is allright ??

pegasusjan said:
When I was on the ground I was keeping the right throttle down, I wanted the motors to stop.
I was 100 meter away from the landing place.
I do not know the colour off the leds during the problems, the drone was a considerable distance to see this

Question How can I reinstall the software to be sure everthing is allright ??

Right throttle down? Is your remote in Mode 1? By default the remote is in Mode 2, which has the throttle on the left stick.
Phantom-en-3.png

Before you do anything with the software, try to detrmine what version do you have now, start the Assistant and check what version of the Assistant it is. Is it the v3.6 version? Unfortunately I'm not at the computer now, so I can't tell you exactly where to look. Also would be nice if you took a screen shot of the page inside of the Assistant where it shows all the versions of firmwares and hardware modules and post it here.

Do you remember approximately when did you last download the Assistant software from DJI web?

Reinstalling would probably go if you just delete the current assistant, download the latest from the web and then when your phantom is connected clicking in the upgrade part on all blue version links which would offer you to push an install even if it already says that it is on the latest version. But I'm not too sure that would help for the batteries, since DJI actually only implemented in latest version a mechanism to prevent battery firmware upgrade if they are not compatible.

Try first inspecting what you currently have. Coming to the bottom of this helps others avoid the same scenario also. So you are not the only one interested in what happened.

I'm assuming that pegasusjan is from a European country and so his Tx will be in Mode 2.

Opps, yes, meant mode 1, but as he says below, he is in mode 2

r9rJaCH.jpg

My Transmitter is mode 2. Throttle (motors) left stick

I have install the main controller software with Vision Assistant 3.4 and the battery-software with the 3.6 both on 31 october.
The reason,i saw later that there was a newer Vision Assistant 3.6.
Could this be the problem I did flash the software from the main controller with the version 3.4 Assistant ??

GoodnNuff said:
I'm assuming that pegasusjan is from a European country and so his Tx will be in Mode 2.

You mean Mode 1? Which is aparently used in Europe. However I have few friends from Germany and Slovenia, they all got Mode 2 by default for the Phantom when they bought it. Also with other remotes like Spektrum. So I'm not really sure if anyone gets their Phantom with Mode 1 from the box.
Therefor throttle would be on the left stick and pegasusjan could have been pushing the wrong stick(having no effect). Could happen in panic, wouldn't blame him... But that would then be proof that it was in an auto land procedure.

pegasusjan said:
r9rJaCH.jpg

My Transmitter is mode 2. Throttle (motors) left stick

I have install the main controller software with Vision Assistant 3.4 and the battery-software with the 3.6 both on 31 october.
The reason,i saw later that there was a newer Vision Assistant 3.6.
Could this be the problem I did it with the version 3.4 Assistant ??

Then that is OK. Your screen shot looks fine. However I can't seem to find the release notes from DJI where they stated which batteries were incompatible. One would look at the Loader version number and know(yours is 1.5.0.0).
But if you updated the battery with v3.6 Assistant then this improper flashing could not happen anyway!

I'm now out of ideas :(

Nathan Carter said:
Many people updated with 3.4 and then with 3.6. That should be ok, especially if you didn't touch the battery upgrade on 3.4.
Updating the batterij with 3.4 version was not possible I remember

lol sorry.. thats me typing at like 1am..
It happened 5-10 minutes into the flight......... and when I had no controls the Phantom did a RTH about 10-15 seconds later, as the Phantom must of detected a problem/no RC.

*edit* oh and my comment about remote area.. lol.. maybe its just us city slickers, but when i see farm land I call it remote.

Anyways very odd you only had up/down... would make sense if the phantom had ailerons/rudder etc.. but hmmm I'm only on page 2, perhps if I keep reading something exciting will be revealed.

juangelb said:
justin00 said:
So you had no control ? or you could only go up or down ?
The comments in the video are a bit confusing.. Did you turn off R/C and it RTH ?

I had an issue were the Phantom stopped responding to R/C input 5-10 mins into a flight.. and it started to fly away, into the wind. It was pretty close by so range wasn't an issue. After 10-15 seconds it detected a problem and did an RTH by its self. I didn't turn off the controller... Anyways It hasn't happened again and I still fly in the same park, just not in that same area. I am hoping it was interference from some 5.8 Antenna's mounted on a roof near by.

But yeah you look like you are in a remote area.. so doesn't seem like could be interference.
hi Justin00
I confess being confused...
Is it "stopped responding to R/C input 5-10 mins" or "After 10-15 seconds" ??

Thanks in advance. Juan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers