Fly away caught by camera

Reaction score
For 2 weeks I was flying in the fields. After 3 minutes there was a problem, see video

http://youtu.be/kvEBc3da_zI

Compass calibrated, 8 satelites,battery 80%, made more than 50 flights with this drone, never had problems
This was the first flight with software 3.08

I get home.
Check everything. Did again a compass calibration and a IMU calibration.
Have now made 2 flights without problems.
For each flight I am very nervous because i do not known why the drone had no control that flight

IMO, the prop guards are really unnecessary since you're flying at a very wide open space and I think there might've been too much wind that it ended up "kiting" due to the larger surface area.

UrAwFuL said:
IMO, the prop guards are really unnecessary since you're flying at a very wide open space and I think there might've been too much wind that it ended up "kiting" due to the larger surface area.

There was NO WIND that day,
When there was wind the drone was blow away much further and probably I had lost him

More than 50 flights with prop guards without problems.
I do not understand the problem from the prop guards with this fly away.
it has nothing to do with it

Looks like a satellite problem, have you done the foil mod?
Did you note how many you had when it happened?

+ 1 on the prop guards. It make the quad more prone to VRS.

paulajayne said:
Looks like a satellite problem, have you done the foil mod?
Did you note how many you had when it happened?

+ 1 on the prop guards. It make the quad more prone to VRS.

I did the foil mod a few months ago. When it goes wrong I had 8 satellites

Area looks to be clear or radio masts.

Do you think it may have been a RTH?
Did you have another phone nearby with WIFI on?
Or were you close to a WIFI signal?

paulajayne said:
Area looks to be clear or radio masts.

Do you think it may have been a RTH?
Did you have another phone nearby with WIFI on?
Or were you close to a WIFI signal?

I think not is was a RTH
I have only one Phone used for the drone. On this telefone only wifi was enabled.
I was in the fields there was also less radio interference
On this location I flew very often which my drone without any problems

So you had no control ? or you could only go up or down ?
The comments in the video are a bit confusing.. Did you turn off R/C and it RTH ?

I had an issue were the Phantom stopped responding to R/C input 5-10 mins into a flight.. and it started to fly away, into the wind. It was pretty close by so range wasn't an issue. After 10-15 seconds it detected a problem and did an RTH by its self. I didn't turn off the controller... Anyways It hasn't happened again and I still fly in the same park, just not in that same area. I am hoping it was interference from some 5.8 Antenna's mounted on a roof near by.

But yeah you look like you are in a remote area.. so doesn't seem like could be interference.

Hay Pegasus,
What was your flying situation when you lost controle, hovering?, decending?. Looking at the video and the fact that you still had satelate capture, make me believe it was vrs an d not a fly away.
Btw. People should stop negging about the prop-gards. I always fly with them and had never problems with them, while thanks to them I never lost props. More than 50 fly with still the original props.

First off I wouldn't classify that as a remote area like others are saying. It is not New York but it's certainly not remote.

It is a very strange case. It seems to be flying right then left then back.. And then you start to reduce throttle. Did you actually try the other stick while it was coming down or at that point you were just thinking lets get down as quickly as possible, no more testing or nothing.
Because it seems like you regained full controll at the end. It would be extremely strange that you had only throttle control and no yawing or banking.
But even if you did(regain full controll at the end) it would still not answer the question why those initial drifts happened.

I didn't turn off the controller during this flight and I was hovering at about 50 meters
I had only control over up/down .The drone was out of control

pegasusjan said:
I didn't turn off the controller during this flight and I was hovering at about 50 meters

What is curious is that if you could control up/down, then you were in fact controlling all 4 motors. Moving the Phantom in any direction other than straight up/down just varies the relative speed of the motors to each other.

Question: is your bird in NAZA mode?

phantomguy said:
http://youtu.be/USR7wXCLYj4
Sorry but this is hijacking off topic from the OP'ers problem. Can I suggest you start a new topic if you want input on the video. Its a way different scenario. I'm sure you will get lots of comments without taking away from this one.

doug86 said:
pegasusjan said:

What is curious is that if you could control up/down, then you were in fact controlling all 4 motors. Moving the Phantom in any direction other than straight up/down just varies the relative speed of the motors to each other.

Question: is your bird in NAZA mode?

My phantom is in ''phantom mode''. Yes indeed I only could control the motors, so i could land at a 100 meter distance from my position

aartsf said:
Hay Pegasus,
What was your flying situation when you lost controle, hovering?, decending?. Looking at the video and the fact that you still had satelate capture, make me believe it was vrs an d not a fly away.
Btw. People should stop negging about the prop-gards. I always fly with them and had never problems with them, while thanks to them I never lost props. More than 50 fly with still the original props.

Agree...no evidence that prop guards had any role in this anomaly....nor do I see any instance of an RTH sequence. Regardless of your battery reading this looks like a classic read of low battery with descent mode to me.....you may think you were controlling the bird but maybe not...

justin00 said:
So you had no control ? or you could only go up or down ?
The comments in the video are a bit confusing.. Did you turn off R/C and it RTH ?

I had an issue were the Phantom stopped responding to R/C input 5-10 mins into a flight.. and it started to fly away, into the wind. It was pretty close by so range wasn't an issue. After 10-15 seconds it detected a problem and did an RTH by its self. I didn't turn off the controller... Anyways It hasn't happened again and I still fly in the same park, just not in that same area. I am hoping it was interference from some 5.8 Antenna's mounted on a roof near by.

But yeah you look like you are in a remote area.. so doesn't seem like could be interference.
hi Justin00
I confess being confused...
Is it "stopped responding to R/C input 5-10 mins" or "After 10-15 seconds" ??

Thanks in advance. Juan

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr