Flight record of P3S spiralling into the sea

Reaction score
Was flying my P3S yesterday, when it spiralled out of control and into the ocean. Very calm day, flying in a remote area, GPS satellites locked. Watch video to see it spiralling to its death :(. Just one of those things? Will send flight record to DJI, think they will be helpful?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was flying my P3S yesterday, when it spiralled out of control and into the ocean. Very calm day, flying in a remote area, GPS satellites locked. Watch video to see it spiralling to its death :(. Just one of those things? Will send flight record to DJI, think they will be helpful?
DJI probably won't give you any detailed explanation but there are people here that might be able to help out.
They would need to see actual flight data though.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

Reactions: macoman and DaleHes
Looks like a battery issue. Started with 1 cell then progressed from there..........till it got speed errors and switched to ATTI mode.....

Sorry for your loss :(

How old was the battery

In the final seconds recorded in the log the AC was descending at 7m/s (more than twice the max rate) and spinning at 2+ rotations per second. Good chance you lost a prop or had a propulsion failure on one or more motors. The speed errors reported suggest prop loss most likely.

Were you using OEM props?

Hi guys. Here are two flight logs with the data. Seems it kept changing into Atti Mode without me realising...because I definitely wasn't changing modes during the flight. Can anyone decipher what may have happened?
The log shows your Phantom start spinning and tumbling at 14:42.
The battery was low but probably not low enough to cause the Phantom to fall from the sky.
The spinning suggests that one motor wasn't spinning (or a prop was lost).
The error messages started at 14:52 and are a symptom rather than the cause.

This is a flight record that you should take to DJI as the crash wasn't due to the operation of the Phantom.
Upload it to DJI by clicking on the cloud icon on the flight record page in the app.
Then go to DJI online support and start an online chat to get things started and see where that takes you.
Good Luck with it.

I was using OEM props and the battery was around 8 months old. Thank you so much to all of you...incredible support from you guys! This definitely gives me some clarity, but yes...always devastating when something like this happens. Everything moves in slow motion as you watch the drone falling and realise it's beyond recovery! Will definitely take this to DJI though and see what they say.

Another question. Prior to posting this thread, I Googled flight restricted areas and see I was flying in one without realising. Is it possible that a radar could've picked me up and disabled the drone?

"Another question. Prior to posting this thread, I Googled flight restricted areas and see I was flying in one without realising. Is it possible that a radar could've picked me up and disabled the drone?"

No!...........

BTW CT and the western cape are 1 of my favorite places to visit. :)

I agree with one of the other posters above, I suspect you lost a prop while in flight which would cause the spiraling effect you had.

I guess even though we try to be as careful and safe we can still lose our AC. Wonder if lock tight on the props would help?

Maybe one of the motors failed, which would equate to the same thing as losing a prop?

Are you saying the threads are plastic on both ends of the props?
the threads on the props are plastic. they should be snugged on well before flight Abrupt/hard acceleration and braking can loosen the props. Especially a combination both in a short sequence. Rare, fortunately, but has happened. Be sure props are on snugly before flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan