Flash Adv firmware to Pro Phantom

Reaction score
Hi, tried anyone to flash Advanced firmware to drone with Professional firmware?

I updated several Advanced to Professional by changing gimbal board and flashing Pro firmware.

But when I want to flash Advanced firmware again, it does not want to flash:

- BIN on SD card is ignored, same or newer version
- debug file from Adv - nothing
- debug file from Pro - nothing
- renamed Adv firmware to Pro name with X - error after few seconds

can you post the log files?

How did you name the debug file? the pro debug file needs to be a 0 byte text file named "P3X_FW_DEBUG" without the quotes, no file extension. You then also need the p3x firmware bin file on that SD card. You cannot rename an advanced firmware to pro, you need to download the pro specific firmware.

I need to flash Advanced firmware to board with Pro firmware.

Flashing Pro firmware into Advanced works without debug file.

Only difference is firmware and control board on top a gimbal, rest is exactly the same.

Problem is, that after installing control board from advanced it does not want to flash Advanced firmware.

can you please post the fw logs? both the one in the main sd folder and in the hidden LOG folder as well.

and to be clear .. you have a Phantom 3 Advanced. You installed a PRO camera board into it and SUCCESSFULLY flashed the firmware using PRO fw. You are now trying to put the ADVANCED camera board back in and trying to flash it with ADV firmware and it FAILS. Is that correct?

Exactly that.

As I was repaing one damaged drone (another thread), 2 Pro cameras burned in long hours of flashing
firmwares, no picture on tablet. 2.7K camera from Advanced drone is only remaining camera to use now.

It look like there is a problem with camera itself - it does not create log file, therefore it does not starting to flash.

I think I use correct procedure - only BIN with the same version, only advanced, and empty P3S_FW_DEBUG file.

what fw version are you using? did you see camera error message ever? sounds like that board might be dead :/

Latest version P3S_FW_V01.11.0020.bin, the same as in the drone except it was upgraded to Pro long time ago.

Propably its time to buy some spare cameras from Ebay, but from now on, only Advanced.

Didnt expected that top of the line DJI product like Phantom 3 Professional just burn itself when turned on for several hours
without fresh air. Firmware update is mandatory, but nobody tell me it is necessary to cool gimbal with liquid oxygen when flashing :)

Latest version P3S_FW_V01.11.0020.bin, the same as in the drone except it was upgraded to Pro long time ago.

Propably its time to buy some spare cameras from Ebay, but from now on, only Advanced.

Didnt expected that top of the line DJI product like Phantom 3 Professional just burn itself when turned on for several hours
without fresh air. Firmware update is mandatory, but nobody tell me it is necessary to cool gimbal with liquid oxygen when flashing :)
They get so hot around the OFDM/VPS board area you can smell them cooking.

So you mentioned only putting the board inside., not the whole assembly including the pro fan .. the thing is, the pro camera has an extra fan and thermal tape on the inside, which the advanced does not. That stuff is designed to cool it and remove the heat. So usually is okay to put an advanced board in the pro, but not a pro board in the advanced because of overheating, it needs the added cooling, if it doesnt it can/will burn up.

p3avsp3p-jpg.19733

That is the main problem - it look like Pro cooling is not efficient enough.

When powered for several hours, NAND flash on bottom side of control board
fry itself and need to be replaced. This NAND flash is not cooled at all, as there is no
cooler or heatsink. And biggest source of heat is directly above it on top site of control board.

When swapping control board, it is always faster to swap whole assembly including all heatsinks,
cooling pads and covers. Covers for Adv and Pro are the same, only missing cooling pads
where are no BGA chips and fan is missing too on Adv version.

All cameras which burned in last two days were genuine Pro cameras with that funny small
fan running at full speed all the time. It take 20 minutes to flash firmware, but it also can
destroy NAND flash - and camera is no longer detected, it only can take pictures and record video,
but no live feed anymore.

This NAND flash BGA is not there on Avdanced control board, only empty space with pads.
Several other BGA ICs are missing on top side too and it produce much less heat.

We were discussing it here:
Phantom 3 Pro - esc beeping and no telemetry

As I fixed FC board connection which was damaged, only not-working thing is live feed
from camera, which was working before 2 hours of flashing from 1.5 to 1.11.

Last edited:
That is the main problem - it look like Pro cooling is not efficient enough.

When powered for several hours, NAND flash on bottom side of control board
fry itself and need to be replaced. This NAND flash is not cooled at all, as there is no
cooler or heatsink. And biggest source of heat is directly above it on top site of control board.

When swapping control board, it is always faster to swap whole assembly including all heatsinks,
cooling pads and covers. Covers for Adv and Pro are the same, only missing cooling pads
where are no BGA chips and fan is missing too on Adv version.

All cameras which burned in last two days were genuine Pro cameras with that funny small
fan running at full speed all the time. It take 20 minutes to flash firmware, but it also can
destroy NAND flash - and camera is no longer detected, it only can take pictures and record video,
but no live feed anymore.

This NAND flash BGA is not there on Avdanced control board, only empty space with pads.
Several other BGA ICs are missing on top side too and it produce much less heat.

We were discussing it here:
Phantom 3 Pro - esc beeping and no telemetry

As I fixed FC board connection which was damaged, only not-working thing is live feed
from camera, which was working before 2 hours of flashing from 1.5 to 1.11.
I run a fan on mine when there is any expectation it may be powered idle for any extended period. I never understood how people might run the simulator without failure if electronics.

Reactions: JoBe
I run a fan on mine when there is any expectation it may be powered idle for any extended period. I never understood how people might run the simulator without failure if electronics.
I read on here so many times to never let my drone stay on for a long time without some fan blowing on it. I only have a P3A, but I learned from the experts here that P3P can be damaged with heat so that made me use a fan evn with my P3A when using the simulator. I never update firmware so that's no issue anyway.

NAND memory which is damaged by heat is only on gimbal control board in Phantom 3 Professional.

In Phantom 3 Advanced, there is only empty space instead of this NAND and Advanced control board produce less heat.
As there is no NAND to be damaged, Advanced version should be more reliable.

Now it is winter, in hot summer day, temperature in the air will be higher and there is a propability
that Phantom 3 Pro pilot may experience same problem in flight and loosing video feed.

There should be at least a heatsink on this NAND memory, but there is nothing, only plastic
cover above gimbal arm swinging left and right. If repairing one of damaged boards will be
success, I must improve cooling of boottom side of control board.

Now I need to get at least one working control board.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl