First question from UK newbie...tablets/phones and data contract

Reaction score
Hey fellow pilots. Newbie to the forum from Cumbria (North England) here....I'm tempted to get a phantom and wondered if someone could explain something first please - I can find plenty spec info online for the phantoms but I am having difficulty finding out an answer to the following...my question is do I need a mobile contract with data, and if so, what sort will I need?....I will probably get a phone or tablet that is only to be used with my phantom and I am under the impression it will use data (and as I'm not sure whether I want to use my current phone, I want to make myself a shopping list to get all set up). Many thanks if you can explain. Cheers

Reactions: dirkclod
do I need a mobile contract with data
No. You only need data if you want to use features that require being connected to the Internet while you're out flying (e.g. downloading the maps in real-time).

Welcome to PhantomPilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

No. You only need data if you want to use features that require being connected to the Internet while you're out flying (e.g. downloading the maps in real-time).

I thi

Follow me mode (not to be confused with active track) is the main thing (besides maps) that you need IIRC.
Hey fellow pilots. Newbie to the forum from Cumbria (North England) here....I'm tempted to get a phantom and wondered if someone could explain something first please - I can find plenty spec info online for the phantoms but I am having difficulty finding out an answer to the following...my question is do I need a mobile contract with data, and if so, what sort will I need?....I will probably get a phone or tablet that is only to be used with my phantom and I am under the impression it will use data (and as I'm not sure whether I want to use my current phone, I want to make myself a shopping list to get all set up). Many thanks if you can explain. Cheers

Many people suggest getting a data plan to have GPS. Be aware, that iPads with cell service typically do NOT not have internal GPS: they have GPS assist, which uses cell tower triangulation

Follow me mode (not to be confused with active track) is the main thing (besides maps) that you need IIRC.
Are you referring to needing GPS? If so, GPS on the mobile device is only required if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

Be aware, that iPads with cell service typically do NOT not have internal GPS: they have GPS assist, which uses cell tower triangulation
While it's true that cellular iPad models use a feature known as "assisted GPS", they do contain real GPS receivers (see more details here). You can prove that by using the iPad with the cellular plan disabled and/or the SIM card removed.

Are you referring to needing GPS? If so, GPS on the mobile device is only required if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

While it's true that cellular iPad models use a feature known as "assisted GPS", they do contain real GPS receivers (see more details here). You can prove that by using the iPad with the cellular plan disabled and/or the SIM card removed.

this seems to be a hotly debated topic. i read about it extensively before buying my mini4. I found several instances where ipad "GPS" location was 100ft off. the iPhone was a few feet of.

How could one debate it if many people have done it?

FWIW, I own two cellular iPad Mini models. I haven't activated the cell service on either. The GPS features work on both.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Thank you to all who responded and thank you for the warm welcome. This is really useful info, thanks. I can't imagine me (at the beginning of phantom ownership) needing maps in real time, or using the follow me mode, and if I can survive without GPS to begin with, it sounds like I can shop for a tablet without concerning myself with a data contract. Many thanks for all your replies.

I have an iPad air2 which I use with my Phantom, it is the cellular model but I have no sim installed and the GPS works fine. The main thing to remember without mobile data is to download any maps you might need before leaving WiFi.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT