Litchi software capabilities and can I fly someone else's drone with my mobile?

Reaction score
Hi, three questions,

1. I know a bloke who is buying a drone and would like me to fly it. I intend to use it for survey and mapping purposes. I have Part 107 certification. I have some experience flying. I intend to get the Litchi app on my mobile. Question, would I be downloading Litchi onto my phone, registering myself with DJI, then flying his drone using my mobile? Or is the UAV itself registered to him via DJI and therefore can only be flown with his mobile?

2. Once I'm flying with Litchi, is it possible to use my own base maps, or at least features i've designed? Reason being, I'm going to be using the Phantom to do aerial surveys of a forest and there are precise boundaries within which to operate. I've got digital line and polygon features of these boundaries in a variety of formats (I am a GIS hobbyist) and I'd like to use them within Litchi (or DJI Go, whichever works best) to determine where to fly.

3. I am given to understand that one can drop "pins" and therefore collect georeferenced data in Litchi, but i'd like to make sure this is possible before I commit to buying the software - can one use Litchi for data collection?

thanks!

Wow your busy already.
Question #1
Once I Phantom has been registered, anybody can fly it, you don't need a mobile device. The remote just needs to pared with Phantom.

You would install the go app, to make settings on the Phantom that isn't available with in Litchi. You don't need the Go app at all, once the Phantom has been registered.

Have you looked at the mission hub yet?
You need to use a PC?

Rod

I get that a Phantom can be flown without the mobile, I have flown them strictly by remote control before, but I wanted to be certain that my mobile, with my software, can be used along with someone else's remote/ UAV.

It's important, since the purpose of the mission is mapping, gathering data, and I'm the one with the software and mapping skills. Seems like it can, and it'll work, so long as I am connected to the internet at some point before flying, as I am told you need to be DJI registered for the mobile software to work.

I took a look at the "mission hub", and i understand how people can plan missions and how the Phantom can automatically fly them, but this is not what I want to do. I'd like to download boundaries and use them to guide my flight - specifically, I am surveying trees within certain timber sale boundaries of a national forest, and I can only collect data within these boundaries. So I am looking to create a layer on the mobile base map which shows me how far I can fly.

This is what I might be looking at on the mobile as I'm flying, a map depicting the border I've downloaded for the mission:

Capture.JPG

Secondarily i want to collect data, in the form of waypoints or dropped "pins", so when i find a tree i'd like to document, i can take a waypoint for future analysis.

I am hoping that I can do these things with Litchi, but it's like pulling teeth figuring out if this software has these specific features.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl